Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

About Pa4x Sample compression
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
menara

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: About Pa4x Sample compression Reply with quote

As AntonySharmman cleverly found out, the Pa4x sample compression uses a lossy compression algorithm. This method is supposed to eliminate only the sounds which are not noticeable.

But AntonySharmman also stated that he could hear the difference between a compressed and an uncompressed sample. So i was curious to see if i could also hear this difference.

After compressing some multi-samples, at first, it seemed to me that their sounds became flat, muddy and their bass were less punchy. But the next day, i was used to the compressed sounds and couldn't remember the difference with my uncompressed sounds.

I thought it was just a subjective impression but after reloading the uncompressed sounds, i realized that they are indeed much better.

To dig deeper and let you make your own opinion, i extracted with an audio editor the differences between 3 compressed samples and their uncompressed versions (16bits-41.1 Khz : low, mid and high notes). The comparison waveforms are copied in the files named DeltaLow, DeltaMid and deltaHigh.

The compression is made under the V3.1 OS and the decompression is also done by the Pa4x's undocumented functionality when saving/exporting a single compressed samples.

The 9 files can be downloaded here : https://www.4shared.com/rar/eItFliWEiq/Test_Pa4x_v31_Compression.html

As you can see and hear, the difference is noticeable and all the frequencies are altered by the compression. No wonder why the sample compression wasn't implemented when the Pa4x was released and we definitely deserve a better compression algorithm.

Its up to you to decide if, the approximately 50% ratio compression, justifies this loss in quality.

In conclusion, and as confirmed by the manual, always save a copy of your uncompressed multi-samples.

kind regards
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: About Pa4x Sample compression Reply with quote

Hello,
thank you very much for your documents

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for posting your research.

A self degrading keyboard is a good enough reason not to spend £2500 on a new PA4X.

There is no way I am spending £2500 an old model.

In the last couple of years Yamaha have released the Genos and three SX models, what has Korg done in the arranger market?

Zilch.

The PA4X v3 Next OS is coming up for two years old, the OS of the 700 and 1000 is even older.

Yet Korg released three uodated or new Synths and two DP’s at NAMM 2021, so that they now have 21 synths or variations listed in their website.

Korg Arranger users are being very badly neglected.

Rant over.

PS
Don’t bother responding, the only thing that will change my negative views of Korg is Brand New Korg Arrangers being released.

Until that happens Korg sucks.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Old model Reply with quote

I'm much more humble there - my negative views will change a little bit, if finally for my favorite keyboard (Pa1000) Korg would fix the missing or faulty features with an update, so that it would offer the same comfortable styleplay functionality as its predecessor (ie Pa800/500)

---> lack of support - forgotten again for a NEXT YEAR
---> http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=123875

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: About Pa4x Sample compression Reply with quote

menara wrote:

Its up to you to decide if, the approximately 50% ratio compression, justifies this loss in quality.

It's commonly known that technically its impossible to maintain all sonic frequencies of a file at such deep compression as 50% ,
Flac Algorithm is still the best lossless compression so every time you see a less than 70% compression you indeed have frequencies loss !
Having expensive waveform analyzers in lab like mine , you can easily make a simple optical illustration of comparison between original & converted one.

Therefore a Pro sound developer in Pa4X has to choose what Kind of sounds he has to compress in a set and my advice is the following :
- Avoid compression of high frequency sounds like cymbals that will be purified in lower frequencies response of sample.
- Compression will eliminate close frequencies , for instance at 2 close detuned frequencies of a sound like 500Hz and 510Hz only the strongest will be
reproduced and other will be lost , so do not sample detuned instruments , sample only pure waveform and then use detune FX of Pa.
This means that you must never compress rich strings orchestras samples or fat analog legend synths.
- Solo acoustic instruments like woodwinds , guitars and pianos body compression of samples seems not to be noticeable using this algorithm.

I use some complex re-sampling procedures according to my experience due to prepare a sample in frequencies format that will not be affected by this
algorithm and use in my Pro commercial sound Libraries when compression can not be avoided in natural duration of acoustic instruments of hundreds of Mb.

Also this algorithm do not save meta data as high rate mp3 and original frequencies info will be lost if compressed so always keep uncompressed files ...

Hope this helps

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V

Last edited by AntonySharmman on Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Asena
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great review

Thank you.

I have allways told that it,s not a god thing to make compression on sounds .

KORG PA 5-X/YAMAHA GENOS 2/YAMAHA A 5000
LIONSTRACK X 76 & GROOVE XR
MEDELI AKX-10

MacbookproM2-Ssd/Logic/Neuman/Kali Audio8/Komplette14SDD/ Apollo Twin/PIONEER XDJ RX 2
LOTS OF SAMPLE SOUNDS!
KorgPaManager V 5
Aripearlmusic
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the people in the audience are not audiophiles and have never heard the original sample before compression i dont see any reason to leave anything uncompressed
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: compression of sounds Reply with quote

Aripearlmusic wrote:
Since the people in the audience are not audiophiles and have never heard the original sample before compression i dont see any reason to leave anything uncompressed

As I have troubles with my English, I think you meant everyone has to know for themselves who they are making music for - even if only for themselves - and therefore there is no reason to let anything uncompressed.

Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aripearlmusic wrote:

Wow! You really don’t have much respect for your audience, do you?

An audiophile is someone that can tell you WHY something sounds better. But anyone with a functioning set of ears can pick one over the other. They can’t say why, it just does.

Maybe you’re just saying YOU can’t hear the difference?
Aripearlmusic
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol my hearing range is from 7hz to 38.6khz due to a surgical error. Let me dumb it down for you what I meant was if the audience hasn't heard the "before" vs "after" they will have no idea that there even is one. Also if your samples don't sound as good after file compression you can EQ it or sample it better with more saturation and then use the settings to tweak it after compressing
fResH_
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never use the compression of pa4x due to I noticed a difference in sound quality (worse).

And forgett about the audience understandable, Its for my own satisfaction to know I get the best sound quality out of the system.

"Its not how good you are, its the impression you leave behind."
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fResH_ wrote:
I never use the compression of pa4x due to I noticed a difference in sound quality (worse).

And forgett about the audience understandable, Its for my own satisfaction to know I get the best sound quality out of the system.
+1,
Absolutely agree, if I work with bad samples quality it can even affect my performance.
In the past I experimented by compressing my samples on PA4X, Pa1000 and Pa700,
they sounded bad comparing with uncompressed samples even noticeable by audiences.
Aripearlmusic
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as long as the samples are recorded with the right gain staging and audio compression to maximize the normalizing but not be boosted as much there will be no noticeable difference after file compression
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skilled Sound engineering is strictly attached to advanced knowledge of Physics and ears experience in sound is a very secondary thing to mention
in rules of physics that can be calculated with Maths or even can be illustrated by scientific lab gear and will always reject people's subjective speculations
of what is the correct result of re-produced sampled sound since the solution of equation is crystal clear ... reproduced sound is as good as the output
waveform is geometrically identical to original recorded one that spectrum analyzer will result.
Our ears that are mostly effected by our Psychoacoustic mood Phenomenon can never be objective , but lab instruments will always be !

Therefore I will note a couple of things :

- Audience can mostly understand the difference of real & fake , 'cause they have already listened to a real Band , Drums , Piano etc , in another performance
scene or even by their home Hi-Fi audio system from decent Music production stuff , but who really cares if you already know that as a performer and you can
be compromised with less than best !
- You can never recover lost frequencies by EQs and FX tricks or you can never "just" enhance those frequencies before compression due to preserve them ...
you will totally fail , so in that case of rich/detuned and high frequencies , you never compress samples !
- People do not hear ultrasonic frequencies no matter of what they claim , so I give you an example of 2 frequencies 20KHz & 28KHz that a real time cymbal
crash will produce among others.
Fourier analysis declare (and can be measured) that those 2 frequencies will produce another 2 derivatives , one outside spectrum 48KHz and a second audible
one at 8KHz that might be the essential reason for a drummer's sonic taste to buy this Zildian cymbal , that's why all frequencies of 15Hz-35KHz spectrum
must be reproduced after Pro recordings in higher sampling rate.

Summary , things in electroacoustic as many people might imagine , are not so simple to be subjective without deep knowledge in Physics and help of scientific lab gear !
Skilled ears are always an asset , but never enough !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V

Last edited by AntonySharmman on Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
midimusa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry, but I can not download from this site: "The 9 files can be downloaded here : https://www.4shared.com/rar/eItFliWEiq/Test_Pa4x_v31_Compression.html. " without registrations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: