Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interesting Choice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Interesting Choice Reply with quote

I own all three sizes of the Kronos. Originally got the 73 back 2011 because I didn't have a vehicle that could carry an 88. Eventually got the 63 and paired it with a Casio PX-5S because I miss 88 keys. A couple of years later, I ended up buying a bigger vehicle, had room for the 88 and bought that. (I like a 1 keyboard rig for gigging.)

One reason I dislike the 73 is the E-E range. I sing a lot in Eb and D and miss the bottom note.

For gigging, the Nautilus could be an interesting choice. I could create backing tracks on my Kronos and put the audio in the Nautilus. The 73 is C-C, which I prefer and the Nautilus 73 is only .7 pounds heavier than the Kronos 61.

Here's the potential downfall. What is the keybed like on the Nautilus 73? I had an M1-73 and couldn't get accustomed to the keys. The Kronos 63 seems to the the same. The individual keys seem to be just ever so slightly narrower than those on the weighted keybeds. I tend to play big fisted chords and I end up splitting notes.

I'm guessing the Nautilus will have the same keybed as the M1.
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting comments. I have had 61 key keyboards, actually still do, that I hate gigging with because of the limited number of keys. I went to the 73 key Oasys to have a longer keybed when gigging; but that instrument is so heavy to transport. My interest in the 73 key Nautilus is for more refined sounds and lighter carrying weight. A look at the Nautilus sounds list of the combinations and programs indicate a significant amount of new and refined sounds over and above what the Kronos has. That plus the weight issue make the Nautilus a logical choice. I still love to play and use my Oasys in the studio, but it is time to upgrade. It will be interesting to compare the Oasys and the Nautilus, once I receive it, side by side. Cool

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
downtownpaulyp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a 73-key Grandstage live, but am finding with playing less frequent these days that the RH3 leaves my hands feeling a bit beat up after a full night. That, and you can't edit sounds on the Grandstage. So I'm looking forward to the semi-weighted 73 keybed, since the one on Krome is not only too plasticky feeling, but mechanically loud as hell if one starts pounding on it a bit.

I would actually prefer E-E, but that's because I'm playing a lot of guitar-driven music, so my left hand is really used to hitting that low E. I just get confused on a C-C keybed as to which octave I should be in!

@danmusician I assume you meant the M3-73, not the M1 which originally had the Yamaha DX7 keybed.
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

downtownpaulyp wrote:
@danmusician I assume you meant the M3-73, not the M1 which originally had the Yamaha DX7 keybed.

Yes, sorry for the typo. I did indeed mean M3-73.
Bill1983

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:00 pm    Post subject: Consider a Nautilus with Bome's MIDI Translator Pro Reply with quote

danmusician wrote:
I own all three sizes of the Kronos. Originally got the 73 back 2011 because I didn't have a vehicle that could carry an 88. Eventually got the 63 and paired it with a Casio PX-5S because I miss 88 keys. A couple of years later, I ended up buying a bigger vehicle, had room for the 88 and bought that. (I like a 1 keyboard rig for gigging.)

One reason I dislike the 73 is the E-E range. I sing a lot in Eb and D and miss the bottom note.

For gigging, the Nautilus could be an interesting choice. I could create backing tracks on my Kronos and put the audio in the Nautilus. The 73 is C-C, which I prefer and the Nautilus 73 is only .7 pounds heavier than the Kronos 61.

Here's the potential downfall. What is the keybed like on the Nautilus 73? I had an M1-73 and couldn't get accustomed to the keys. The Kronos 63 seems to the the same. The individual keys seem to be just ever so slightly narrower than those on the weighted keybeds. I tend to play big fisted chords and I end up splitting notes.

I'm guessing the Nautilus will have the same keybed as the M1.

Hopefully you won't have a keybed issue. In my case, the keys will be rarely touched as I plan on mostly remote midi play.

My Studio is beyond unique as I use both a KK S88 MK2, a PA4x and a SL MP117 (to name a few) for Midi Control of Ableton Live. Bome's MT Pro will, Unless the newly released Parameter Guide is completely wrong, will require me to begin a rather massive task of the creation of a Hardware Controller Plugin/Application which I'll gladly share. As the depth, quality and effects still seem leading edge Kronos Vintage, I may just abandon the DAW side of the equation as the Bome HW Box allows compilation of its SW Counterpart functions into the firmware. At that point, no PC is required. My PA4x will allow 95% of DAW Functionality, and between the PA4x & S88 MK2 the missing aftertouch becomes a non issue as the Nautilus happily receives it via Midi. The new Karma Replacement should potentially fill in any gaps I've overlooked.

Even though I've not written a plugin since prior to the existence of Java I believe, this should be fun. In visiting a few Non-Korg specific websites I saw a lot of negative reviews which I found odd as it has yet to ship. And the biggest complaint was its dated OS. Last I checked, our dated/improved OS brings with it the ability to load outstanding libraries second to none. There is both purpose and advantage to backwards compatibility and many seem to overlook such.
Give me a hardened OS in which Korg's developers are well versed in any day over a bug ridden new OS which will not be corrected until it's retired.
PA4x, PA500, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 MK2, Sonar Platinum, Ableton Live 10 Standard, NI Komplete12 Ultimate, EWQL Libraries, Nektar Impact LX88, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 Gen2, Studiologic MP-117 Pedalboard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: