Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Microphone for Kronos?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lou Sevens

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Microphone for Kronos? Reply with quote

Hello, ( I have a Nautilus but figured I would post here).

For my PC I use a condenser (MXL V67G) but have phantom power on my recording interface.

On a Korg chat about the Nautilus, someone recommended a dynamic mic.
Would I still need an external preamp?

I am looking to hopefully just plug a mic in and record.

Years ago my Roland Juno- had a 8 track built in recorder with a preamp (but not great sounds)
Thanks
Lou Sevens
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost any microphone will "work" with the Kronos, but the intended type of sound source, and its range of levels will guide the particular type to get. The Kronos audio system has a high dynamic range so, to make the most of this, it would make sense to get a microphone that has an extremely low self noise, but also decent preamplifiers. The Kronos external audio input circuitry can add a noticeable degree of noise to a microphone input that is extremely low, so it would be helpful if the microphone had a built in amplifier designed to optimise the signal to noise ratio for recording a live orchestra, or delicate vocal, and capturing the most gently nuanced sounds. This becomes far less important if the sound source is loud rock vocals close to the mic. For the former, consider perhaps a Rode NT1-A, for the latter the Shure SM 57 or SM 58, considered to be "classic" microphones.

wocongming

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Microphone for Kronos? Reply with quote

Lou Sevens wrote:
Hello, ( I have a Nautilus but figured I would post here).

For my PC I use a condenser (MXL V67G) but have phantom power on my recording interface.

On a Korg chat about the Nautilus, someone recommended a dynamic mic.
Would I still need an external preamp?

I am looking to hopefully just plug a mic in and record.

Years ago my Roland Juno- had a 8 track built in recorder with a preamp (but not great sounds)
Thanks
Lou Sevens

I use a SHure58 standard mic. it works and sounds GREAT> even the cheaper Shure48 sounds great! i do cover the top with the styraphone covering to reduce vocal pops that happen too.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Almost any microphone will "work" with the Kronos, but the intended type of sound source, and its range of levels will guide the particular type to get. The Kronos audio system has a high dynamic range so, to make the most of this, it would make sense to get a microphone that has an extremely low self noise, but also decent preamplifiers. The Kronos external audio input circuitry can add a noticeable degree of noise to a microphone input that is extremely low, so it would be helpful if the microphone had a built in amplifier designed to optimise the signal to noise ratio for recording a live orchestra, or delicate vocal, and capturing the most gently nuanced sounds. This becomes far less important if the sound source is loud rock vocals close to the mic. For the former, consider perhaps a Rode NT1-A, for the latter the Shure SM 57 or SM 58, considered to be "classic" microphones.

You will need to use either a dynamic microphone or a condenser microphone with its own power source as the Kronos doesn’t supply phantom power. There’s no shortage of dynamic mics that will fit the bill; suitable condenser mics that will fit the bill will be much smaller. Alternatively, using an external mixer or microphone preamp will allow you to use just about any microphone with the Kronos.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
jaimepirvinoi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it’s been a while, but I wanted to say that If you're considering a dynamic mic for your Korg Nautilus, you might not necessarily need an external preamp, especially if your recording interface provides phantom power. Dynamic mics typically don't require phantom power like condenser mics do. So, you should be able to plug a dynamic mic directly into your recording interface and start recording hassle-free! Additionally, I’d like to mention that I recently discovered the benefits of ASMR microphones, and you might also find an ASMR microphone that covers all your recording needs. They provide excellent sound quality and are incredibly versatile. Definitely worth considering if you want to expand your setup in the future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: