Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

adding LFO and other sound editing functions as assignable

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashraf_amad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: adding LFO and other sound editing functions as assignable Reply with quote

Hello everyone, this is my first participation here. I love my pa4x, but I have a question/issue. The assignable functions that are available in korg OS 3.1.0 are interesting, but sometimes, we need more functions to be assignable. For example, I have a situation where I want to control (in real time, as I am playing, such as in synthesizer knobs) certain sound functions such as LFO, etc. Unfortunately, the available assignable functions that I can assign to the bars (to group A and group B in Globals) are very limited (ex: no LFO, no sound attack, no resonnance, etc.) even that these functions EXIST in the PA4x sound editing mode !!

This extends the question to the scalability (extendability) of korg PA4x. I would have loved if pa4x was as a smart phone that has all the hardware , but can be exploited by application developpers, so they provide pluggable applications such as in the case of Android.

I am a programmer, and I know I can easily make these functions as assignable IF the operating system was open source, but it is NOT the case for the PA4x which has an OS that is closed under KORG binary encoding. Anyway, that is another (interesting) question !

For the moment, I just want to see if there is a way to extend the available assignable functions that are already provided by Os next 3.1.0 (which are already an extension to what was in the previous OS, which means that KORG can add more assignable functions..)

Thanks in advance!
Ashraf
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rather doubt we will ever see an open 0S from Korg. Remember, once you open up the OS completely, you make yourself vulnerable to reverse engineering, and somebody copying your OS and having it run on a PC. And then, there goes your profits lol.

Imagine a completely software PA4X, capable of running all the styles and having all of the samples from the hardware arranger. That would seriously cut into Korg’s profit margin, and thus their ability to fund new development and new keyboards.

To be honest, most open systems have been extremely destructive to the industries that they sprang from. It’s a nice, utopian idea, but it rarely works out well for the established industries in the field.
ashraf_amad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: a certain level of openess can be very useful Reply with quote

Korghelper wrote:
I rather doubt we will ever see an open 0S from Korg. Remember, once you open up the OS completely, you make yourself vulnerable to reverse engineering, and somebody copying your OS and having it run on a PC. And then, there goes your profits lol.

Imagine a completely software PA4X, capable of running all the styles and having all of the samples from the hardware arranger. That would seriously cut into Korg’s profit margin, and thus their ability to fund new development and new keyboards.

To be honest, most open systems have been extremely destructive to the industries that they sprang from. It’s a nice, utopian idea, but it rarely works out well for the established industries in the field.

I agree, but I think a certain level of openess can also be very useful for us and for KORG as it creates an eco-system and it can be a new business model. we can see many successful business models which provide a certain CONTROLLED openness. In my case, I just need to increase the assignable functions using the AVAILABLE functions in the sound mode. I hope at least there will be more PA4x OS updates to include that !
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have an OS wishlist here. That’s basically your only avenue to get what you want. Get enough people on board with an idea, maybe Korg take notice.

Full and fair warning… I’ve been baying at the moon for years trying to get Korg to allow better external MIDI control and allow user choice of codes each button sends. No luck yet…

In the immortal words of Mick Jagger - ‘You can’t always get what you want’! 😂
ashraf_amad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: possible solutions Reply with quote

I found that it is possible to control these sound editing functions from the SOUND mode (while in first landing page of that mode), we can use the bars to control the resonnance, LFO, attack , etc. in real time

there is another solution: from the "Track Control" menu of the STYLE PLAY mode, using the virtual knobs ; if you try to use the sliders while in same page, each corresponding track bcomes green, which means playing the corresponding slide activates it, but does not actually change the value Sad

another solution is the AMS (modulation sources). For example, we can use the Change Control of MIDI standard to control these parameters in real time, possibly based on certain events.

another potential piste is the digital bars for the organ sounds, but these can not be programmed for other sounds; I tried so using the sound mode, but it was not possible.

That is all that I found to assign functions that are currently assignable in the OS of korg PA4x.

Thanks. Ashraf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: