Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Resource backup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
taichi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Resource backup Reply with quote

Today I did a Full Backup on Pa4x, 1000 and 700. New USB, formatted, saved Newset, named and dated. So what would be the advantage of doing a Full Resource Backup as well please.

Read the manual and it says it is more of an archive ???? But it must there for a reason. Manual also says it can be used “to make frequent backup copies into compact and easy to store archives”. A few words from you guys would be very much appreciated. Another thing that I could tick off my list of things to learn and do.

Thanks
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BKPs store the entire configuration of the keyboard, including factory styles and is an easy way to keep the state of the keyboard as is when you want to try a new set and then return to exactly where you were!
BKPs though are not editable (at least yet) on pc with any commercial (i don't know of any DIY either but i can't be 100% sure for that) software.
Another thing you should know about BKPs is that you can only restore them on the exactly same model that it was created from.For example you can't load a pa700 standard bkp on 1000 or 4x (i think you can't even load it on pa700 oriental).

Korg keyboards owned now: PA5X 61 ,PA300, Triton extreme 61, Korg 707, Trinity plus
taichi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the reply. Gradually getting there with my learning curve. Your other post about "chips" was interesting too.
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should Korg update the OS then unless they radically change the update process all User Data will be lost.

This is another reason why creating files you can use to reload your user data is a critical procedure in using any Pa.

In addition to the full Backup file I used to create a Save All file using Media > Save > All etc, this file just saves user data and using it is simplicity in itself. media > Load > select file OK.

You will need to check the manual as it is a couple of years since I sold my Pa and the precise process is now a bit hazy for me.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Resource backup Reply with quote

taichi wrote:
So what would be the advantage of doing a Full Resource Backup as well please.

It's exactly as described by musiccankill and I will add some more info about BKP that I had also mentioned in the past.

- BKP file has identifier source code and can be loaded only in the same type of OS , f.e. you can't load on Pa4X international a BKP
created by Musikant or Oriental Pa4X edition and vice versa.
- BKP file also contains all factory sound directories (not samples) of specific OS that was saved that means if was saved with OS v.2
and then try to restore it with OS v.3 loaded all latest factory resources of new factory sounds will be lost.
- BKP is always the most safe saving option since it has CRC verification and if corrupted then can't be loaded unlike ALL.SET resources.
- BKP is always the most safe saving option of a troubleshooting SET with incompatibilities of resources loaded from older models like Pa800/2X.
- You can also restore only specific resources via BKP loading menu

Pa4X users (only) , beware of saving as BKP Pa4X custom resources that are over 1Gb (compressed or not) , when you will try
to load this saved BKP file there is a bug that I have announced and was never addressed that will destroy all internal EMMC resources
Pa4X will loop booting for ever and you have to reset all internal resources with Full Resources OS v.2 !!!
In case of a Pa4X custom SET that is over 1GB , use only SAVE ALL for your SET.

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
taichi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Antony, Biggles and Musiccankill. Your posts will help others as well as me for sure. Some good stuff here.

You have explained very well how BKP works and the benefits. That now helps a lot when re-reading the manual. (Also the difference to Save All). I wonder how many people are aware of the last paragraph that Antony wrote ref. custom sets over 1GM ???

Thanks all
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taichi wrote:
custom sets over 1GM ???

The reference is strictly for Ram size of custom samples that must be on Pa4X , lower than 1020Mb in order to create a safe BKP file.

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: