Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sound comparisons between the Oasys and the Kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
methusala

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:38 pm    Post subject: Sound comparisons between the Oasys and the Kronos Reply with quote

I own the Oasys 88 and over time have mixed and recorded 50+ tunes into Cubase from it, thanks to Stephen Kay and Karo and Mike Conway. In my own way, I have got to know my way around this inspirational instrument. Every time I sit at it in my converted bedroom 'studio', I just dive in for a different sound/melody etc etc. The sound out through my Genelecs is nothing short of uplifting.
I, with many others, was devastated when the O was discontinued and replaced by the K (though to be fair up to that time the O was well supported by Korg and had received many updates on the way)

Now, Kronos. Oasys mark 2 ? I have held off buying Kronos 88 for one reason only. It's the sound engine.

I reach out to those that are fully wedded to the K. Can you assure me that the “mechanics” under the board that produces the sound, are identical ? Or if they have been improved, to what extent ?
One failing of mine is that I haven't played the K. I can't find a dealer that has one to demonstrate. I live in the West Midlands (UK). Do you know any dealers I might find the K to try for an hour or more ?

Sorry to rabbit on but it's the technical sound reproduction bits of the K that holds me back.

“ Trust your ears” I've heard said often but my post goes directly on this forum to the similarities between the O and the K in the sound board department or whatever (I am no expert at all here but I can trust my ears)

Thank you for getting to this far ! Love the O. Hope you can help me out. I do need to sit down to a Kronos SOMEWHERE. Listening to YouTube versions is no substitute. In the meantime, what are your views ? Many have bought the K out there but have they had the O before ?

Many thanks

Patrick
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: I just compared the two. I feel the OASYS sounds a little better from the outputs.

I'm just listening through headphone and stereo speakers (not monitors). I do not record to an external DAW, like Cubase, as you are. I fired up the same song in both units. It's funny, because most programs sound the same, but listening to the song, it seems just a bit better on the OASYS, especially in the width of the sounds (stereo field). The internals of the instruments (core samples, EXi synths) should be identical processing. Perhaps there is a difference in the OASYS outputs.

I make a 24 bit file on the Kronos, which definitely sounds better than the 16 bit OASYS versions (better bass for example). For me, the Kronos is a better solution, as I do it all internally.

Hardware-wise, the OASYS kicks Kronos' ass. The workflow is easier with that big tiltable screen, the drum pads, and more LED feedback on the surface panel. I have solved part of this by tilting my entire Kronos, for optimum viewing.

The sample streaming on the Kronos is wonderful. You can stream many libraries, up to 20 gigs worth, compared to a gig and a half on the OASYS. That's an amazing difference.

Kronos is more modern with its OS and Disk features. For instance, I can stick my Zoom recorder memory card into a USB stick, and the Kronos can open and load from it. Better file and format recognition.

Kronos has more banks (now, Nautilus has even more than Kronos). 8 parts to each oscillator, double drum mode (great for me laying double sample sets across the keys), a handy SEARCH feature, easy Combi creation mode, Drum Track mode (per program) with 697 new patterns, Smooth Sound Transition, and a bunch of other things that make it great.

If you can come to grips with the small screen, smaller print, etc., the Kronos is a true beast. The fact that I can load almost 10 times the samples/libraries into Kronos, and have them there at power up is amazing.

You know on the OASYS how you could have EXs1, EXs2, and if you have the 2nd gig of memory installed, EXs3? That put you at 1.1gigs. I was able to load Karo Symphonic, or Unison orchestra. To put both in, I deleted redundant samples and made a hybrid file of the two.

On Kronos, not only can I load the large KSL and KUO libraries in their entirety, but I also have EXs4, 5, 8, 16, 24, 131, 132, 133, 134, 220, 222, 289, 290, 291, 292, 296, 297, 298, 299, 352, 355, 356, 360, 366, 369
plus eleven of my custom libraries, all there in a single load up, as you can see here:

Last edited by Mike Conway on Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
methusala

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
It took you some time to reply to me so fully and I really appreciae that. Wonderful surprise. If you feel on balance that the K has slightly better sound properties, I take your word. I have Sennheiser head phones but usually run playback through my speakers. Perhaps I should change it around.The reason I bought the O was after watching those early videos by Steve McNally. I was hooked. It may be that the reason I go out to buy the K is after reading your reply! Very many thanks. Keep well and it is encouraging to hear from you again.
Patrick
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

methusala wrote:
Mike,
If you feel on balance that the K has slightly better sound properties, I take your word.

Actually, the other way around. The OASYS sounds a little better, IMO, but the K has 24 bit recording and offers a lot more in content.
methusala

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again. I'm really only going to nail this is by sitting down and having a good session on the K. Difficult in my neck of the woods.
Patrick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: