Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Kronos Owner

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mlatanzi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: New Kronos Owner Reply with quote

Just bought a new Korg Kronos 88 LS and previously owned a Korg M50 but have some questions. The speakers (KRK 5 gen4) and headphones (Tascam TH-200X) purchased for the Kronos don't work unless I use a peamp? I never had to use a preamp on the M50, is this normal for the Kronos? I thought I could just plug a headset in and hear something?

Please advise

Last edited by mlatanzi on Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
tunaman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The headphone jack should work fine for headphones. Make sure the volume knob is turned up, and the Master fader is too.

The outputs on the rear are line level and do require amplification.
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunaman wrote:
The headphone jack should work fine for headphones. Make sure the volume knob is turned up, and the Master fader is too.

The outputs on the rear are line level and do require amplification.
Quote:

I agree with Tunaman. Have you tried using your headphones with something else? Try listening to a CD being played through a stereo amp, or another KB. The Kronos should be loud and clear using headphones.

This is a long shot, but I’ll mention it, I remember reading an old post about a guy that couldn’t find the headphone plug. You are plugged into the port on the front of the unit, right? It’s on the left side under the ribbon control.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my headphones have worked with the Kronos. Again, it's on the front, left side.

I do use an amp for my L/Mono, R outputs on the back. My speakers are not powered otherwise.
mlatanzi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you,

I am using the headphone jack on the front left and have also checked both the volume knob and the master volume in the global settings, I have also tested the Headphones on my PC and they worked perfect. I also noticed the Kronos 88LS manual states the Headphone Jack carries the same signal as the Main L/R Outputs, maybe it does need a preamp?
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn’t need any preamp to use the headphones. The Kronos has a built in amplifier for headphones.

The back panel outputs are different. They do require amplification.

The master volume and slider volumes have nothing to do with global settings.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you never heard a sound coming out from your unit regardless of the output it could mean it is defective. A brand new Kronos bought at a store comes with a full warranty. Another unlikely thing I'm thinking of is that the MIDI Local Control is OFF (it should not be on a brand new unit, but it's worth a check). Look in global mode under the MIDI tab and check that Local Control box if needed.

Also, still following the hypothetical "no sound ever came out of the unit" scenario, I would try to sound the Kronos from an external MIDI keyboard or software or download the MIDI-OX freeware and see if the keys are sending MIDI data to find out if the problem is there or in the audio part of the unit. In all cases, you need a replacement Kronos for free from the store.
mlatanzi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry meant Control Surface Master not Global, couldn't remember where without checking again. Even with this slider at 127 and the Volume knob all the way up I get nothing from the Headphones, they work perfectly when plugged into my Focusrite 2i2 so I know the Headphones are good.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos' headphone out is normally capable of delivering adequate volume to pretty much any headphones, no matter what their impedances are. The Tascam TH-200X, at 32 ohms should be no exception.

It sounds like the Kronos headphone out is defective. Have you tried other headphones? Is the 1/8" headphone plug fully screwed into the 1/4" to 1/8" adapter?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: