Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Creating programs using samples in sampling mode

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter1960

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Creating programs using samples in sampling mode Reply with quote

I would be grateful if someone could help me with difficulties I am encountering when trying to create some programs using wav files and the sampling function in the Kronos. I did post this query earlier this year and received some suggestions, although I did not proceed with the advice at the time. However, I have now decided to try and create some programs having recently upgraded the memory in my Kronos to 3Gb, but the issue is still there.

I have been attempting to use 2 of my soft synths to create audio (wav) files that I can then load in as samples. The 2 soft synths I have used are Omnisphere by Spectrasonics and Syntronik from IK Multimedia – the patches that I am trying to create as programs are a string patch from Omnisphere called “Adagio” and a patch from Syntronik called “Bully” which is based on a Moog Taurus bass pedal synth.

I have followed the very helpful YouTube tutorial from Qui Robinez and managed to create a program for “Adagio”, also adding some effects. I then went into Disk mode, pressed the Save tab and then Save Sampling Data, with the file name saved as “Adagio”. I also added the Adagio KSC file to my KSC autoloads in the Global tab, so that the samples load when the Kronos is booted up. So far so good.

I then repeated the same process to create a “Bully” program. After loading the samples, allocating them to the various indexes and saving the multisamples as “Bully”, I selected convert MS to Program. On opening the program in the selected bank I was then able to play “Bully” as a program.

I then saved the sampling data (I selected “include sampling mode data”, with sampling mode data options as “all”), with the file name saved as “Bully”. I also added the Bully KSC file to my KSC autoloads in the Global tab, as I did with the Adagio program.

I then rebooted the Kronos. On selecting the Adagio patch, it played fine, but the Bully program has got the Adagio samples within it, so the program does not sound correctly.

I cannot fathom why the Bully samples are not being saved within the program itself. I am sure that if I try and create a third program, the same thing will happen - ie the program will end up containing the samples of another program.

I have noticed that after hitting Save Sampling Data for the Bully program, two KSC files are produced - “Bully.KSC” and Bully_UserBank.KSC”. What is the difference between these two files ? I did remove “Bully.KSC” from the autoload list and then added Bully_UserBank.KSC instead but this didn’t solve the issue.

I am sure the solution is simple – ie I am not doing something / not saving something that will preserve the Bully samples, so as a result, they are not loaded along with the associated Program on start up. However, I am at a loss as to how to overcome this issue !

Your assistance and advice would be most welcome.

Many thanks for your help

Peter
Dan Stesco
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about your procedure but I think you create a conflict between two multisample index.
If the Adagio sample working fine, you need to add the Bully sample in the same session then select each sample in the specific program.
So, load the Adagio KSC in the RAM memory:
Go to disk, select Adagio.KSC, press load and select the Clear All tab in the pop up window. Is very important to work the sample in the clear ram to avoid some multisample conflict or saving unwanted data in the sample file.

Now load the Bully.KSC:
Go to disk, select the Bully.KSC, this time select ADD tab in the pop up window.
Now you have both multisample in the RAM, go to Sampling and convert that multisample in a program.

Save Sampling Data with different name. Add that sample data in the Global Ksc Autoload and Do Auto load now. Check the programs.
KSC file is specific to working on RAM autoload.
USer_Bank is specific to working on virtual memory at Auto Load.
Peter1960

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan - thanks for your reply.

As I mentioned in my post, the "Adagio" currently program works fine, as it has the correct multisamples loaded. I am not sure what you mean in the first part of your reply, when you have suggested I need to load the Adagio KSC and then press the Clear All tab - is this to remove any trace of the Adagio multisamples in RAM ?

You have also said that after loading the Bully KSC I will have both multisamples in RAM. Surely I need to have ONLY the Bully multisamples in RAM, otherwise the conflict that you have mentioned will then occur ?

How can I ensure that only the Bully multisamples will be loaded in the Bully program, not the Adagio samples, as there are now ?

Thanks

Peter
tunaman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sample creation process is a bit convoluted and not necessarily intuitive. I just found an old thread where I documented the process I use - it may help?

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=120429&highlight=manage+ksc
Dan Stesco
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,
I understand the Adagio working fine so will keep it in the same index.
To can add a different sample or other KSC in the same file will must to load the Adagio KSC in the RAM. When loading the KSC from DISK a new window will open and have three option: Append, Clear Sampling Mode Data and Clear All. I suggest to Clear All to be sure that all the RAM is empty before load the Adagio sample with all content. Now in the RAM have only Adagio which working Ok in the program. Next step is to add the second multisample ( Bully.KSC) to select it at the next INDEX. So load the next KSC but mark the option ADD in the pop up windows opened. Now have the Adagio as MULTISAMPLE 1 and Bully at Multisample 2.
Save the Sampling Data to disk.
Go to Global and add this sample session to autoload. Could be User_bank.
In a programs Adagio will working ok. For Bully will edit a program, select the same sampling session at OSC Basic. Will have two Multisample : Adagio and Bully. Select Bully and save the Program.

If still have a problem please contact me on mail contact@danstesco.ro and we can meet on Skype or Zoom and will direct you.
Peter1960

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your suggestions - I will try a few things out shortly !!

Many thanks

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: