Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Power Line filter as alternative to UPS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenophile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Power Line filter as alternative to UPS Reply with quote

Many of us have experience the Kronos crash with the message "A problem has been detected which may have been caused by cycling power too quickly."

While a UPS is a good idea in the event of a power failure, I have seen several instances of this crash message at home even with a UPS connected (two different UPSs, actually). After some experimentation, I found that the problem happens on some of my home power circuits, and not on others, and the UPS doesn't seem to make any difference.

So I suspect the crashing issue is not so much due to power drop-outs or low line voltage, but rather with noise on the AC line. In my case, I've noticed that the crashes happen more often on hot days when my central air conditioner is coming on often, but I don't see my lights dimming, and the UPS is never activated.

So I wonder if a power line conditioner might be more effective than a heavy UPS with battery back-up. For instance, this little guy can be purchased for less than $10 USD and could be mounted inside the Kronos chassis and wired between the AC connector on the Kronos PSU: https://tinyurl.com/pmwu7t

This one is a little more expensive (~$35 USD) and handles a little higher load, but I don't think the Kronos draws that much. https://tinyurl.com/yftfpykh

Have any DIYers here tried something like this?
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Power Line filter as alternative to UPS Reply with quote

Xenophile wrote:

So I suspect the crashing issue is not so much due to power drop-outs or low line voltage, but rather with noise on the AC line. In my case, I've noticed that the crashes happen more often on hot days when my central air conditioner is coming on often, but I don't see my lights dimming, and the UPS is never activated.

Not accurate , Kronos PSU has a strong filtering of any noise and sparkles and only UPS is necessary for complete power drop-outs , nothing else is needed.
Crashes are always from media read/write errors at system boot SSD that is always the actual issue of them.

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Xenophile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Power Line filter as alternative to UPS Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
Not accurate , Kronos PSU has a strong filtering of any noise... nothing else is needed.
Crashes are always from media read/write errors at system boot SSD that is always the actual issue of them.

Hmmm. That's not consistent with my experience. I question your use of the word "always," but I do appreciate any and all feedback.
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Power Line filter as alternative to UPS Reply with quote

Xenophile wrote:
AntonySharmman wrote:
Not accurate , Kronos PSU has a strong filtering of any noise... nothing else is needed.

Hmmm. That's not consistent with my experience. I question your use of the word "always," but I do appreciate any and all feedback.

I can recall an outdoor show we were doing a couple years ago when the entire stage went dark and quiet. The only piece of gear that was still working was my Kronos because it was connected to a UPS. I don’t think a filter gizmo would keep my gear up and operational.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: