Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos 1 61 Top Panel Replacement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnlucas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject: Kronos 1 61 Top Panel Replacement Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

has anyone ever replaced the top panel of a Kronos 61?
I have a spare top panel, but before I ever embark in such a task I was interested in knowing if anyone ever did it and whether it would be too difficult.

I would highly appreciate productive comments, so please save me from comments like "why you would ever do that", "never thought my Kronos would get obsolete because of the top panel" and the likes Wink

Thank you have a great Sunday!

John
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To accomplish this, you have to remove/reassemble the keyboard action, several components and most of the PCBs inside your unit. I did quite a few mods in my K2 so for me it would be easy but it can be intimidating if you open your unit for the first time. In short, you will need to be meticulous and very careful to not damage anything (though it's not rocket science, I would recommend do not attempt if you have no experience in handling electronic circuits, delicate connectors, how to avoid ESD, etc.). The LCD screen is very fragile as well.

If you decide to go ahead, I strongly recommend you take pics as you disassemble so to replace everything as before.
average_male

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never attempted what you are doing but have taken my Kronos 73 apart pretty much completely and leaving just a couple of PCBs installed.

So when you say top panel, are you referring to the actual metal casing that has cutouts for the various knobs, buttons and such? If so, the one thing I’d recommend is to be super careful when removing any FFC (Flat Flexible Cables) as the connectors for these types of cable are super fragile and have a limited open/close lifespan and breaking the seating clip for these connectors will require either a new board or have the connector replaced (which will require a good level of soldering/flowing experience). Also, different FFC connectors open/close differently. Some have a single pressure latch on top while others have left and right tension levers. I’ve seen for the same mode of electronic device have different FFC connectors due to manufacturer limited supply or production run refinements. To me, this is the most scariest part of repairing/upgrading electronic devices.

Also, if possible, would recommend holding off until you require opening up your Kronos 61, for like upgrading SSD, RAM or replacing bad power supply.
samriccijr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John!

Proceed without fear! It is just a machine held together with screws and solder.

I have replaced buttons, capacitors, displays and power supplies in the 01/W, i3, X3, Trinity, Triton and Karma.

I have opened my Kronos 1 88 and fixed connectors, replaced keys, arranged key weights and installed blue key contact strips.

Put the screws in marked plastic bags.
Photograph each layer as you remove screws and boards.
Order some replacement buttons and re-solder them if necessary.
Re-solder the pads for the output jacks, sustain jacks and encoder wheel.
Tighten the joystick and ribbon while you are there.
Be careful when handling the Audio and MIDI/IO boards.
Be very careful when removing the touch screen.
have a magnet nearby. You will drop screws where you can't reach them.
Don't be surprised if some of the screws have locking compound on them.
Use a can of air to blow out the dust on the power supply, fan and boards.
Carefully re-seat any connectors before you put it back together.
Get the service manual.

If you take your time it should take you about one to two hours to strip down the old panel and re-install everything in the new panel.

The new top will make the Kronos look great! And you will feel good that you saved a keyboard from the landfill.

Sam in NJ USA
Xenophile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And above all, be careful not to mis-align the polydismorphic refornification manifold!

samriccijr wrote:
Hi John!

Proceed without fear! It is just a machine held together with screws and solder.

I have replaced buttons, capacitors, displays and power supplies in the 01/W, i3, X3, Trinity, Triton and Karma.

I have opened my Kronos 1 88 and fixed connectors, replaced keys, arranged key weights and installed blue key contact strips.

Put the screws in marked plastic bags.
Photograph each layer as you remove screws and boards.
Order some replacement buttons and re-solder them if necessary.
Re-solder the pads for the output jacks, sustain jacks and encoder wheel.
Tighten the joystick and ribbon while you are there.
Be careful when handling the Audio and MIDI/IO boards.
Be very careful when removing the touch screen.
have a magnet nearby. You will drop screws where you can't reach them.
Don't be surprised if some of the screws have locking compound on them.
Use a can of air to blow out the dust on the power supply, fan and boards.
Carefully re-seat any connectors before you put it back together.
Get the service manual.

If you take your time it should take you about one to two hours to strip down the old panel and re-install everything in the new panel.

The new top will make the Kronos look great! And you will feel good that you saved a keyboard from the landfill.

Sam in NJ USA
JonSolo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenophile wrote:
And above all, be careful not to mis-align the polydismorphic refornification manifold!

This.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Laughing

http://www.solosounds.net
http://jonsolo.me
http://www.soundcloud.com/jonsolo
http://www.twitter.com/thejonsolo

Windows 10 | Intel i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Scarlett 18i20 | Nektar Panorama P6
Korg Kronos - 88 | Korg Kronos 2 - 61 | Roland Fantom 6 | Push 2 | Maschine Mk2 | Slate ML1 | JBL LSR308/310
Nuendo 11 | Ableton Live 11 | Reason 12 | FL Studio 20.9
johnlucas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone
thank you so much for you inputs.

Do you think it is possible to retain most of the connections between the components while moving them to the new top panel?

I was thinking of disconnecting them from the old panel without necessarily disconnect everything, just by placing padding layers between components to avoid any damage when placing them inside the new panel.

e.g. the MIDI I/O board can be removed from the panel by unscrewing it, but can its connection to the rest of the circuitry be retained?

Maybe I am over simplifying the process, but wondering whether this may reduce the statistical chances of screwing up everything Smile
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer is no, there are connectors which must be undone/reconnected, including the delicate FFC one going to the LCD, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: