Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I’ll answer any question you have about the 5x…
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Niki_Keyz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:41 pm    Post subject: I’ll answer any question you have about the 5x… Reply with quote

This has to be the best looking keyboard on the market as of 2022. The new Korg Pa5x. I was lucky enough to get an early batch of the release of this keyboard.

I have converted my Pa4x set (500MB) to the new KST file for the 5x. It took about an hour and an error message came up on the screen. Nearly gave me a heart attack. I had to click ok to go back to the main screen. I click on the first style and boom…keyboard freezes. I restart the keyboard and it takes roughly about a minute to boot up and start again.

I completely understand that this is the first OS version of the pa5x but there are too many bugs for it to be released like this to the public. This is just my opinion.

I’ll name a few bugs that I have encountered in the first hour. I’ve changed the scale and played a quick song with it. If you are playing and switch menus while playing, the scale will go back and forth from equal to the other scale you are using.

Huge bug for me at least!….if you are playing a style and hit the fill button at the beginning of the measure, your fill will play correctly. If you hit the fill after 1/4 of the measure, it will play your style and accompaniments from the variation and not your fill. This to me is a disaster. It will play drums from the fill but with your variation chords. 😬

I am a musician that uses pads throughout the night. I am using loops and drums on my pads. If your pad is 2 measures long, it will start on the second measure instead of the first. Another huge bug. If you play your style and you cue hitting the button at the beginning of the measure, your pad loop will start on its second measure.

Acc. 3 at times freezes on the transpose you last played on. If you transpose while playing, only acc.3 will stay on the original note and not move along with your chords.

You can see the 4 pads on your screen. If you click them, they play. I don’t think that was very cleaver. When you select the pad on the screen, it should take you straight to your pads page so you can select another pad. Instead, it plays the loops for you. That’s the purpose of the buttons near the style. I’ve tried for about an hour or so to figure out how to change a pad and had no luck. Finally figured out that there is a little work around to get to it but I know this isn’t the way it should be. Also, when you do change a pad, the effect send goes back to 40 (default). Not useful if you already set your effect send to each loop and for it to change when you change the pad.

The style edit functions are not there for right now. Meaning if you are creating a style, you no longer have cut, quantize, delete, velocity and a few others. I’m not sure why this is no longer there. I hope this was an error and gets put back on the new OS.

Selecting a style takes time. It flashes for a little bit before it actually swaps to the new style. Regardless if it’s your style or stock Korg, it does not load up instantly like on previous models. Big bummer here too if you are trying to switch to a beat on time.

I love Korg and always will love Korg. I am hoping these little bugs will get resolved in a future OS very soon. The pa5x will have to stay in the basement until these are fixed. If you are active musician with gigs every weekend, the 5x is not ready to be put on stage just yet. Also, you should the option to change the icon for your new style or sound. That would be just an upgrade and not something that isn’t working. Just a preference honestly.

Anyways, if you guys have questions, please feel free to ask in the comment section. I will try my best to help you and answer any question you have concerning the pa5x.
kleant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't sound like little bugs to me!

I had my doubts since it was keept secret in a very bad manner for no reason and with some weird leaks here and there and now in my opinion a very premature release propably Korg it's in need to raise some cash from this early sales but it will bite if the new owners are not happy with all the bugs and a very expensive similar Pa4X with even less features/functions for now! I will skip Pa5x until all the bugs are refined and at least have all and more features/functions than Pa4X.

Some of my observation;
- Deticated Bass Inversion Button missing
- Deticated Manual Bass Button missing
- Deticated Style to KBD SET missing
- Deticated TRT SEL button missing
- Synchro START STOP very small round buttons
- Tap Tempo Reset very small round button
- Fade very small round button different place
- All deticated Mic Voice section buttons and knobs are missing
- Main Volume knob replaced with strip fader Volume
- Deticated Balance Volume knob missing
- All deticated Select Keyboard Sound Buttons missing
- Generaly all buttons and the sliders got smaller. Apart from the led colours I don't see any other improvement they look even weeker than the previous models. Shame for their smaller size and if they break easely in the future.

I don't understand the reason behind this missing/small buttons especially if I'm playing live I need access to deticated normal size buttons if I need to select something quick and not being distracted by small or screen buttons.

Kaos is nowhere to be seen, I'm not a real fan of Kaos but at least better to be there than not if I'm paying for upgrade not downgrade.

I have seen reports of some early owners that the protected resources usb/memory cards don't work as well. Shame!

Pa5X a worthy investment improvement from Pa4X?! Propably YES, however NOT at the moment in my eye, familiar functions from Pa4X missing, replaced, with bugs or working differently!
Asena
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys take a look at this,

Its the same on All Pa5 models, I have 61/76/88 and all the displays are like this, Is that Normal for a 5K Keyboard from 2022?

https://pasteboard.co/aCsqN8F5Ze2P.jpg

And Rigth side is NORMAL!

https://pasteboard.co/qbI90aTlUNpd.jpg

KORG PA 5-X/YAMAHA GENOS 2/YAMAHA A 5000
LIONSTRACK X 76 & GROOVE XR
MEDELI AKX-10

MacbookproM2-Ssd/Logic/Neuman/Kali Audio8/Komplette14SDD/ Apollo Twin/PIONEER XDJ RX 2
LOTS OF SAMPLE SOUNDS!
KorgPaManager V 5
fredwinch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Kleant => I don't know where is the shame to simplify the Pa5X panels. Thats's not beacause there's no direct button like bass inversion and any other "missing" button compare to the Pa4X the Pa5X is not a good Keyboard.

Most of its functions is controlled on the touch screen now. Have you ever tried the Ketron SD9 ? that's worse, so few direct button !
kleant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it's a shame because as explained above it's not better to scroll through screen than having a deticated clear button or knob in so many situations especially performing Live.

This is not called simplifying because a whole sections of knobs and buttons have gone missing!

And NO I'm not interested in Ketron SD 9 or even Pa5X at this current state!
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: I’ll answer any question you have about the 5x… Reply with quote

Niki_Keyz wrote:
This has to be the best looking keyboard on the market as of 2022. The new Korg Pa5x. I was lucky enough to get an early batch of the release of this keyboard.

I have converted my Pa4x set (500MB) to the new KST file for the 5x. It took about an hour and an error message came up on the screen. Nearly gave me a heart attack. I had to click ok to go back to the main screen. I click on the first style and boom…keyboard freezes. I restart the keyboard and it takes roughly about a minute to boot up and start again.

I completely understand that this is the first OS version of the pa5x but there are too many bugs for it to be released like this to the public. This is just my opinion.

I’ll name a few bugs that I have encountered in the first hour. I’ve changed the scale and played a quick song with it. If you are playing and switch menus while playing, the scale will go back and forth from equal to the other scale you are using.

Huge bug for me at least!….if you are playing a style and hit the fill button at the beginning of the measure, your fill will play correctly. If you hit the fill after 1/4 of the measure, it will play your style and accompaniments from the variation and not your fill. This to me is a disaster. It will play drums from the fill but with your variation chords. 😬

I am a musician that uses pads throughout the night. I am using loops and drums on my pads. If your pad is 2 measures long, it will start on the second measure instead of the first. Another huge bug. If you play your style and you cue hitting the button at the beginning of the measure, your pad loop will start on its second measure.

Acc. 3 at times freezes on the transpose you last played on. If you transpose while playing, only acc.3 will stay on the original note and not move along with your chords.

You can see the 4 pads on your screen. If you click them, they play. I don’t think that was very cleaver. When you select the pad on the screen, it should take you straight to your pads page so you can select another pad. Instead, it plays the loops for you. That’s the purpose of the buttons near the style. I’ve tried for about an hour or so to figure out how to change a pad and had no luck. Finally figured out that there is a little work around to get to it but I know this isn’t the way it should be. Also, when you do change a pad, the effect send goes back to 40 (default). Not useful if you already set your effect send to each loop and for it to change when you change the pad.

The style edit functions are not there for right now. Meaning if you are creating a style, you no longer have cut, quantize, delete, velocity and a few others. I’m not sure why this is no longer there. I hope this was an error and gets put back on the new OS.

Selecting a style takes time. It flashes for a little bit before it actually swaps to the new style. Regardless if it’s your style or stock Korg, it does not load up instantly like on previous models. Big bummer here too if you are trying to switch to a beat on time.

I love Korg and always will love Korg. I am hoping these little bugs will get resolved in a future OS very soon. The pa5x will have to stay in the basement until these are fixed. If you are active musician with gigs every weekend, the 5x is not ready to be put on stage just yet. Also, you should the option to change the icon for your new style or sound. That would be just an upgrade and not something that isn’t working. Just a preference honestly.

Anyways, if you guys have questions, please feel free to ask in the comment section. I will try my best to help you and answer any question you have concerning the pa5x.

Time to get organised with all those who have invested in PA5X ...would be useful if someone could confirm the findings (bugs) above then we can start to catalogue and organise in a Sticky section which will aid KORG when they browse these pages....I can not help at the moment but I will once I pick-up my PA5X. Smile
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thats's not because there's no direct button like bass inversion and any other "missing" button compare to the Pa4X the Pa5X is not a good Keyboard.

The buttons are there and configurable too by utilising the display strip.

Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
kleant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly they are Not there as in Pa4X, and even utilising the display strip is another more complicated not needed extra process on the way than having a deticated button easy to reach any time u want it without going through display strips or screens!

These buttons/knobs have been there for a reason since Pa1X if I'm not mistaken and to take them off by "simplifying" the pannel it's wrong and a step back in my opinion same as with cutting other features and functions!

Another major dissapointment for me is the style format change and the way you load previous models sets. Now first you need to convert it to a new file format which is called .kst which stands for Korg style toolkit first invented for Korg i3 I'm a litle not shure about this if it's a step forward or backward.

However I think for me it's backward step again because with any previous models I could load a style/sound/sample or even a set folder from any previous models directly on the fly in minutes without needing to convert to anything prior!
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too was very concerned that "those" buttons have gone but what is there now is better - it's like having an EC5 as 9 buttons (yes we want the pedal soon too)
so you could have all the buttons you "miss" plus more. I don't think this going backwards and
I am delighted by the fact that Korg have at last truly built a new OS.
Of course it will different and come with a learning curve and some "conversion time" to get all those older setups imported.
I was also concerned about the "missing" VH controls - but they are there in the form of programmable sliders with a clear display strip.

I still reserve my judgement until I get to use one in a few weeks....

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
kleant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Pete but what I have seen and heard so far still I'm not convinced and I think you are missing my point at least what you suggesting regarding buttons/knobs it's 2+ steps away from previous Pa4X which was achievable with just 1 click of a button or 1 turn of a knob no other setup of functions on a display strip or screen needed.

I'm not happy about the EC5 either so many are used to it and clearly it could have been included easely, if they are not going to release a replacement option usb or whatever for it then it's a shame for this as well.

If you dig deeper in to the New OS at the current state you will find a lot of other bugs and missing more functions as easy as undo function on a style editor, lags on styles, and many more...

Taking in consideration all above cleary this is not going forward in my opinion, it seems like is rocky road ahead with compromises to be made but hey hope for the best still Smile
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Niki_Keyz,
Thanks for the information about the new Pa5X.
Could you please explain what are the advantages/features of the new Pa5X Operating System comparing to the latest Pa4X OS?
menara

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Niki
Thank you for creating this topic. Can you please tell us :

- If your 500 mb set was initially created on the V2 ou V3 Pa4x Os ?
- If the set was completely or partially converted and loaded ? If partially what data is missing?
- Is there any trouble with compressed, long or looped samples after conversion ?
- In the advanced sound edit menu, is there more than 2 cycle / random modes by oscillator?
- How many layers are used on the new Pianos and Epianos sounds?
- How do you control the balance volume, since there is no more dedicated knob?
- Are the 9 configurable buttons enough to replace all the missing buttons?
- How does the virtual lock system works?

And last but not the least, could you please compress a sample and post :
- the original sample before compression
- the compressed sample
- the uncompressed sample (by exporting the compressed sample)

Thanks, andsorry if i seem to abuse of your kindness.
Niki_Keyz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BR wrote:
@ Niki_Keyz,
Thanks for the information about the new Pa5X.
Could you please explain what are the advantages/features of the new Pa5X Operating System comparing to the latest Pa4X OS?

As of right now, I haven’t seen an advantage over the 4x. This is just my opinion. In just a few hours of messing around with it, all I experienced was bug after bug. Things not working properly. I’m really hoping the next update will fix all of these things. But the way it sits right now, a pa2x would blow it away.
Asena
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
I too was very concerned that "those" buttons have gone but what is there now is better - it's like having an EC5 as 9 buttons (yes we want the pedal soon too)
so you could have all the buttons you "miss" plus more. I don't think this going backwards and
I am delighted by the fact that Korg have at last truly built a new OS.
Of course it will different and come with a learning curve and some "conversion time" to get all those older setups imported.
I was also concerned about the "missing" VH controls - but they are there in the form of programmable sliders with a clear display strip.

I still reserve my judgement until I get to use one in a few weeks....

Pete Very Happy

PETE they did not make a NEW FRESH OS, its same OLD OPOS, like in the PA series of KB,s but they made it in somehow better, the problems are, I THINK, and this is only my personal opnion, THE CPU (TI) texas instruments cant handle more than this, THIS IS BUILD on the same resources as the PA 1000, I may be wrong, but like , there is nothing WOW news,
I like the sounds, I mean its more clear more chrispy more clear and sounding nice,

But in overal, ITS not a NEW technology ,
Some other brands have the blue tooth, So we can use the KB for playing songs via that, Wifi, and more.
Audio over USB! NOTHING!!!
I mean what happened in 7 years behind this.
There is so many bugs, And more we will find for sure.
KORG will have many questions, very soon.

KORG PA 5-X/YAMAHA GENOS 2/YAMAHA A 5000
LIONSTRACK X 76 & GROOVE XR
MEDELI AKX-10

MacbookproM2-Ssd/Logic/Neuman/Kali Audio8/Komplette14SDD/ Apollo Twin/PIONEER XDJ RX 2
LOTS OF SAMPLE SOUNDS!
KorgPaManager V 5
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it is way better in hardware than pa4x and pa1000 hdmi (these are different)...
Pa1000 hdmi was already on a newer platform similar to pa5x but with some missing hardware functions where the most important one is the dual DSP setup. (PA700/1000 HDMI version have AM5718 cpu while PA5X has AM5728).
AM5728 is way more than double the performance of the PA4X!

Now its sound is currently better but very close to the PA4X (it gets better mostly because of the extra effects).
The OS feels ALPHA compile not even BETA as it has way too many missing functions...

Another bug a friend of mine found is that when you convert a set , Intro 1 and ending 1 are playing like they have a prerecorded chord sequence and it is not even close to the pressed chord...
I have found some too like , if you let a style play and press the REC/EDIT button and go into sound edit or sample edit (not sure they are named exactly like that as i m not in front of the keyboard right now) , the style doesn't stop and you have to go back to stop it as no buttons that are for controlling the style are working on that mode...
I have an already big list of bugs at my home studio where the 5x is...
For sure i m not happy with what i got but i knew what i was getting so i will not complain.
Anybody that was expecting a working keyboard when he/she got it , as it should have been , has every right to complain and even return it if he/she wants...
First of all saying that it has 4Gb (8 Compressed) but the actual size to be 2.5 and 5 respectively is even against the law here..
Another wrong specification they have listed is that it has 800X600 pixels lcd resolution..
This is correct for korg kronos , not for pa5x...
Pa5x has 800X480 and that is what is specified inside the OS initialization scripts too (there are no widescreen LCDs with 800x600 resolution anyway)....

We have a long journey ahead of us which will be worth it at the end of the road for sure , but for now this keyboard is almost unplayable...

And yes i can confirm that encrypted sets (USB/SDcard locked) do NOT work...
In fact i was the one who figured out in my country before anybody wrote about it online even here...
And here i have to think...What did all the "beta testers" do all these time?
These are very very simple bugs for them to not having found them..
So they just didn't do anything apart from leaking info and playing with it...

Korg keyboards owned now: PA5X 61 ,PA300, Triton extreme 61, Korg 707, Trinity plus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: