Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How is Karma Arepeggiator driving Pan CC?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timg11

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 3:30 pm    Post subject: How is Karma Arepeggiator driving Pan CC? Reply with quote

I'm layering the program Thin AnaLead into a combi, and want to use the default Karma arpeggiator.

I copied the program into a Timbre in my existing Combi checking Karma in the options to copy.
I changed the MIDI channel of the Thin AnaLead Timbre to a unique channel, and changed Karma Module A output channel to that same channel.

I added Vector Volume control on +Y for the Timbre.

That much is working. I can play a chord in the main Combi, and use the Vector JS to fade in the Arp on Y.

When I look at the ProgSelect/Mixer page, I see the Pan oscillating back and forth on the arp Timbre.

I don't understand is how Karma is driving the Pan for the Timbre - the pan is the same rate and synchronous the Arpeggio note span.

I'd like to slow down the pan, or just make it manually controlled by the JS X.

I have searched through all the Karma pages and I don't see anything generating Pan or CC10. How do I adjust this behavior?

PS - I thought maybe it is coming from an LFO in the program, but I observe if I turn off Karma, the panning stops.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say "default KARMA arpeggiator", you are referring to GE 000?

If so, the panning is generated by a CC-A Pattern. You can control this in several ways:

GE RTP 29 - CCs Fixed/On: A value of 128 causes the current Pattern Template to be used. A value of 0 to 127 is a fixed pan value. So to disable the pattern, you could enter a value of 64 which would put it in the center.

GE RTP 30 - CCs Template: You can select different Patterns here that can be used to change the speed of the pan sweep, or alternate left and right, and other variations.

To just disable this, you can use the KARMA MIDI Filter/CC Offset page, and turn off the checkbox for CC-A under "Transmit MIDI Filter".

Last edited by StephenKay on Sat May 06, 2023 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
timg11

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Stephen, thank you for the quick reply!

I meant the default Karma for the Program. That happens to be GE 31 Classical Arpeggiando.

The GE RTP 29 and the the checkbox for CC-A under "Transmit MIDI Filter" seem to be the same. Your suggestions worked for GE 31 as well. I was forgetting to search under the 17-32 range button (seeing no scroll bar and thinking that was all the parameters...)
timg11

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have two follow up questions.

Q1
I see in GE RTP Scenes for Module A, there are sliders assigned - Sliders 1 to 5 for Rhythm Swings through Replications. However, these slides seem to have no audible effect. I tried with the controls set to Timbre/Track as well as RT Karma. It might be nice to enable some arpeggio variations with Karma Switches or controls, but they seem to not work.

I thought it might be due my unchecking the CC filter.
So, I changed GE RTP 29 to zero, and re-enabled CC-A under "Transmit MIDI Filter" thinking I might have filtered it, but still no effect from sliders or switches.

When I play "Thin AnaLead" in Program mode, the controls work. So it is something about copying the program into a Combi that is the problem.

Q2

I don't want the arpeggio to immediately start, but to be able to fade in manually later.

I have not figured out a way to save the Combi so the Vector JS initializes with a value of zero (fully -Y direction) It appears to initialize at midpoint, which is 50% volume. If I set Center Volume to 0, I lose half the range, and cannot reach full pan -X and +X without the volume going to zero.

I can't save the Combi with Karma Off and turn it on when I want the Arp. With Karma off, the unwanted side-effect is playing a single note of the "Thin AnaLead" program. (Edit - I just found P2 / Timbre Parameters / WaveSeq-Karma has a "Karma Timbre off Control", which I can change to "Timbre Off by Karma Off")

As a workaround, I saved the Combi with the "Thin AnaLead" Timbre muted, and use the Mix/Play Mute switch to enable it once I've moved the JS down, but that is multiple steps, and will probably not be available once I figure out Q1 and want to have the Combi controls in RT/Karma mode to dynamically vary some aspects of the Arpreggiator.
timg11

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone who comes along interested in Karma, after much study and experimentation, here are possible solutions to the questions I had:

Solving Q2 first: The setting P2 / Timbre Parameters / WaveSeq-Karma / "Karma Timbre off Control" to "Timbre Off by Karma Off" will mute the Timbre and prevent the single note from playing when not using the Arp. This allows the Combi to be saved with Karma off, and then turn it on when the Arp is desired. It is easy to reach Karma button with your left hand on the joystick.

Now that we can leave the Combi with Control Assign set to Karma mode to have access to the RT Karma controls and switches, the next task is to make them do something. By default, they work in Program mode but not in Combi mode. Q1.

The solution I found is in P7 Karma / GE RTP Scenes. In this particular case (can't guarantee it for all), the Module A tab will show assignments of various parameters to sliders and switches. On the Master A tab, all the assignments are disabled (---) by default. By editing these assignments to match the Module A Tab, they will be active in the Combi from the RT Controls in Karma mode. You can re-assign them as needed to make some real-time variations to the Arp.

I was hoping to find a way to switch the actual GE Arepeggio itself (Set as 0031 Classical Arpegiando on P7 Karma / GE Setup / Module A. I don't see a way to modify that in real time.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timg11 wrote:
Now that we can leave the Combi with Control Assign set to Karma mode to have access to the RT Karma controls and switches, the next task is to make them do something. By default, they work in Program mode but not in Combi mode.

Maybe I'm not understanding the issue, but if you have a Combi with a Program with KARMA Module A imported into it, and you want the control surface KARMA Mode to control it, all you have to do is set the Module Control Button to "A" instead of "M". You can switch the Control Surface between the Master Layer and any KARMA Module, and you don't have to reassign anything to the Master Layer. That seems too simple, so maybe I'm missing something?

timg11

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stephen, I was unaware of that setting. I was carefully studying the manual and settings under P7 Karma.
Context for others - the Module Control buttons are found on the P0 Play / Control Surface page and appear on the right side of the screen when the RT/Karma tab on the left is selected.
I remember looking at that page, but didn't understand how the Module Control buttons worked. I saw most of the controls were disabled, so I moved on to look elsewhere. I agree that Module Control is a much easier way.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also a dedicated button on the control surface to select the Module Control Layer, making it easy to switch the entire control surface from one Module to another during Perfomance.

The architecture of a Combi has 5 KARMA layers - one for each Module, and a Master Layer. When you make a combi and load KARMA Modules into it, each Module's RT Control assignments go into the appropriate Module Layer. Therefore, a new combi will have nothing assigned to the Master Layer by default.

The purpose of the Master Layer is to allow you to assign additional controls to *any* of the 4 Modules, such as the individual Module Run buttons, and control specific settings of all 4 Modules at the same time from one layer. Hope that clarifies things.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: