Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sustained releasing sounds by default: Avoid damper pedal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cocatrix

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:02 pm    Post subject: Sustained releasing sounds by default: Avoid damper pedal Reply with quote

Hello,

I would like to be playing standing and not sitting. Having 2 keyboards (Korg Kronos and Korg Karma), with 2 switch pedals and 2 damper pedals, it's complicated while standing (painful for the legs).

My goal is to play as much as possible without damper pedals, by modifying the programs/combis. Then I could play in an easier way while standing. Cool

The perfect solution for me would be to have default "sustained but releasing" sound for all combis, but having the possibility to sustain it without decay if I press the sustain pedal. I know I'm dreaming Very Happy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I searched for a while for solutions for this. I think a mix of my current hints can solve my problem. Here are my hints:

Arrow HOLD function in Programs
`PROG` > `Common` > `Program Basic` > `Hold` (`Key Zone`)

I tried it on the INT-A 000 KRONOS GERMAN Grand, it's working perfectly. That's what I want to achieve on other programs/combis. I don't need any damper, it's resonating, and decaying after that, so when I am changing chords or playing a melody, the previous notes do not overlap and hide the new notes I am playing.
I know it's working in this particular case because the piano samples have natural decay. When using "HOLD" on other programs, the sounds are played forever so new chords/melody notes are hidden by the previous notes.

Arrow HOLD function in Combis
I did not find anything similar to the HOLD function in Programs. That would be nice, because I have a lot of work, already using many different combis.

Arrow Update ADSR (+ using Program HOLD)
I think this can solve the problem I described in the Program HOLD section above. For programs other than pianos, sustained sound is playing forever. I'm not very familiar with ADSR, but I guess having a long decay time and low break level can do the trick? Or maybe just long release time?
I'm using this resource to understand ADSR https://music.stackexchange.com/a/64833
I'm not sure having long decay will behave well in all cases. I hope advice from you all will help on choosing the right ADSR parameters for my case.

It seems to be in `PROG` > `OSC/Pitch` > `Pitch EG` > `Envelope`

Arrow Inverse Damper polarity
My chords/notes are sustained until I press my damper pedal, it's not the solution I want. I still need to play the damper each bar or so, and for melodies it's adding each note which becomes a horrible cacophony.
Besides, it's very counter-intuitive to use.

Arrow Hold balance in Set lists
I think this option should be useful in some way. For instance, if I can have a "sustained releasing sound" for all the combis I want, if on some particular moment, I want a "sustained NOT releasing" sound, I can switch to the next combi with infinite HOLD (on each program), so the sound stays sustained, and when switching to the next combi, I'll choose how long the previous infinite HOLD will sound.
Note: it's also possible for me to use damper pedal on particular moments, like this example of "sustained NOT decaying" sound. I'm just looking for avoiding damper pedal by default, for my legs.

Arrow Some LATCH option
I'm not talking about the LATCH option from KARMA engine, but more about any way to have latching notes. What I mean is having infinitely sustained notes, until the next note. Would be useful for chords, you play a chord, it sounds until your next chord is played.
I'm not sure it works well if you play one of the notes of a chord just a bit after the other notes (we're human, the notes won't be played exactly at the same time - that might be why this kind of LATCH option cannot/do not exist).

Arrow Multi-instrument combis
This will be useful in case LATCH options exist, maybe in other cases as well. Having some programs with "sustained releasing sound" in some parts of the keyboard (maybe lower for chords), and normal sounds in other parts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the "Update ADSR (+ Program HOLD)" can be a good solution, however it's a tremendous amount of work if I must update it for each program of each combi I'm using.
Is there a ADSR template or such, that I can copy for each program (and I can update it at one place if I want to update one parameter for all)?

Maybe copy the EG (I'm not sure what EG really is) in some init program, then copy it for other programs I want to update as "sustained releasing"?

I hope I brought enough details for the understanding of my goal, and that it's not too long Smile
Don't hesitate to share links of existing tutorials that could save you some time (e.g. updating ADSR parameters in Kronos)

Thanks a lot for your attention
Cocatrix

N.B.
- Besides playing while standing, I think what I'm looking for will definitely facilitate my playing, by having less things to focus on.
- I'm not a beginner trying to avoid learning using the damper, I'm a pianist for >15 years. Question
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt9MCdJ5_fM
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem with this is that your Kronos polyphony could suffer greatly, as all the held notes will become used voices, even if you don't hear them as they reach silence. Do tests and check under the Perf Meters tab to see what happens as you play.
BlackForest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in case you're not singing.. Maybe this would be something to try out?

https://www.tecontrol.se/products/usb-midi-breath-bite-controller-2

Just quickly googled mini breath controller, whereas this gadget also seems to use your teeth...

Korg DS-8, Roland D-10, M1Rex, Wavestation, Korg SP-280, JV2080, Wavestate, Kronos LS - all RIP
KingKronos

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go, I just tested this idea and it worked:

On the Controllers page in Global, assign CC 64 to VJS X.
In program mode, disable Vector Volume control.

Now your vector joystick will act like a sustain pedal. Cool

EDIT:
Of course this will work naturally with sounds that have a piano envelope.

For sustained synth sounds, you'll need to edit the ADSR.
You will need a quick decay and low sustain to not get blurred infinite sounds.
Cocatrix

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> On the Controllers page in Global, assign CC 64 to VJS X.
> In program mode, disable Vector Volume control.

Thanks I'll try it out!

I also got this answer that works quite well
https://forums.karma-lab.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9890

(on Korg OASYS but can be adapted to my need)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt9MCdJ5_fM
KingKronos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cocatrix wrote:
> On the Controllers page in Global, assign CC 64 to VJS X.
> In program mode, disable Vector Volume control.

Thanks I'll try it out!

I also got this answer that works quite well
https://forums.karma-lab.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9890

(on Korg OASYS but can be adapted to my need)

Ah, I figured there would be a way to use KARMA.
KARMA is very under rated, there is so much it can do.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingKronos wrote:
Ah, I figured there would be a way to use KARMA.
KARMA is very under rated, there is so much it can do.

Thank you. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: