Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need Pa5X Instrument Definition File for Cakewalk Sonar
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basspig

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:57 pm    Post subject: Need Pa5X Instrument Definition File for Cakewalk Sonar Reply with quote

While searching for it, I found one that supposedly is for a Pa4X. Is this similar enough or do I need to use one specific to Pa5X? Where can I find it?

This is the Pa4X INS file:

https://www.korgpa.sk/ins/korg_pa4x_all_basic_2015v2.ins
galambjozsef
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:55 pm    Post subject: CWPA ins Reply with quote

Hello.
I've already shared the Pa5x download link I made here a couple of times, but I'm linking it again
After every operating system version update, I replace it with the current version. INS file is good for Pa5x, Pa4x, Pa4x Musikant instruments
You can find it here: https://korg.galambjozsef.hu/letoltesek/files.php
- QSC TM-16
- EV EKX-12P - EV EKX-15SP - VoiceSolo FX150
- EV ELX200-10P
- Neumann KMS105 - Rode M2
- https://www.graydove.hu
Basspig

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. It's the last file at the bottom of the list, that's the Cakewalk INS file.

Just curious if there is a utility to convert the Korg file to INS file, like I did with KRONOS four years ago?

As I add user presets, I'll want to be able to have them properly named in Cakewalk Sonar too.
galambjozsef
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about that.
I made the file with a text editor based on the Program codes read from the instrument!
- QSC TM-16
- EV ELX200-10P
Basspig

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg has a PCG2INS utility for Kronos that takes the PCG file containing all the instruments and samples and extracts the banks and instruments lists and writes a .INS file.

I'm curious what method you use to read the program codes from the Pa5X, in the event that Korg does not release an updated utility.
korgpask

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, I also thank Galamb Jozsef for his INS file. Well, I finally put together my INS as I have been used to for years and I can share it with you and provide it.

here is the link:

http://www.korgpa.sk/ins/cakewalk_sonar/Korg_Pa5X_ins_cakewalk_sonar_TONO_v120.002_DEC_2023.zip

This is without my sounds as a base USER empty

If you need to change or modify something, I will do it according to your requirements.

http://www.korgpa.sk/ins/cakewalk_sonar/Korg_Pa5X_ins_basic_KORGPA.SK_v120.002_JAN_2024.ins.zip

info@korgpa.sk
galambjozsef
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willingly!
I already missed when you put it on the site, I sent it sometime in July 2022 Smile
- QSC TM-16
- EV ELX200-10P
Basspig

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've loaded both of the different INS files that both of you posted. The first few banks are mostly complete, but the higher numbered banks after bank 5-10 range are mostly empty. If I pick one of the empties, it makes a sound, but there is no name.

I'm working on setting up a 16 track orchestral work to play on the Pa5X, but I cannot find any of the string bass (ie. Double Bass 1DN2) on any of the banks lists. I am thinking it's one of the blanks, but 64 banks X 127 sounds is a lot of hunting and trying to find un labeled instruments.

Is this a work in progress?

Korg really needs to make or update their PCG2INS utility to include Pa5X, as I added user sounds, will need to update the INS files periodically.

The way Korg arranged the banks seems less convenient than in the past. The pianos are scattered across 7-10 banks in the lower numbers. I wonder why they chose that? So to change piano sound, it requires changing both bank AND patch.

To the good, sending MIDI to the Pa5X is hassle-free, unlike the KRONOS where I had to set up a special Combi with 16 channels. It is interesting that while external MIDI is playing into the Pa5X, there is no visibility of the signals in the mixer, unless there's another secret button that I missed. It DOES seem to be on Player 1, as it's volume control affects the loudness of the Cakewalk performance. But trying to find what channel it's coming in on has eluded me. The only time I can see MIDI channels coming in from Cakewalk is if I have a MIDI file loaded in the Pa5X player, otherwise, it won't let me see MIDI channels 1-16 and their levels and insert FX etc. Is there a way to see this without locally loading a MIDI file?
galambjozsef
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not every line of the xxx.ins list contains an entry, but all indicated sounds/drums that point to the PC/CC code indicated in PA5x without exception.

The same is true for all other instruments!

//Sorry for the translation, I'm using Google Translate!//
- QSC TM-16
- EV ELX200-10P
Basspig

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood on the translation.

As I have observed, even the blank entries produce a sound, though I do not know what the corresponding sound name is.

Do you have plans to complete the blank entries with names in the near future?
Basspig

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of banks have only 2 instruments in them instead of the full 127. Are these simply not yet completed? I can't find orchestral string bass in my Cakewalk patch selections, and quite a few other instruments seem to be missing. The blank entries have sounds, but I don't know what they are, of how they relate to the sound list in the manual.
I was going to attempt a 16 track project conversion to Pa5X, but beyond the piano, I can't find any of the rest of the orchestra instruments.

If someone would tell me how to get the instrument list from the Pa5X, possibly I could fill in the missing instruments or create my own INS file.

Many banks are like the snip sample below. Mostly blanks.

Code:
[Korg Pa5X Bank 55]
4=4 MK II SuitcaseDry
81=81 Jump

[Korg Pa5X Bank 56]
4=4 Wurly Line Out
81=81 Arp Summer

[Korg Pa5X Bank 57]
4=4 Wurly Mics
81=81 Arp Banks

[Korg Pa5X Bank 58]
4=4 Wurly Mic R
81=81 Mini Shine

[Korg Pa5X Bank 59]
4=4 Wurly Mic L
81=81 Huge Analog

[Korg Pa5X Bank 60]
4=4 Wurly Dry
81=81 Mini 3Saw
korgpask

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, over the weekend I checked every sound exactly according to the latest instructions - the manual for the Korg Pa5X.
All sounds are recorded there in INS.
also the sound "Double Bass 1DN2" is located in BANK 3 sound 43. It is there.

regarding vacant positions. I will explain. It was also like that in the past. Not all banks contain all 127 sounds. From time to time, Korg will release an update with the OS where new sounds will be added and exactly those will be inserted into the now empty positions.

Therefore, their gradual addition is possible in the future. It is NOT a mistake
Basspig

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I was asking is because my KRONOS banks are all full of instruments, Even the "undefined" ones (user) have "Init EXi Program" listed, but make a piano sound.

On the Pa5X side, the majority of banks are nearly empty, but if I pick any blank patch, there's a unique sound produced.

Yes, I was able to find the double bass DN2, but only after you told me where to look. It seems like the way Korg organized the banks and sounds is very random, making it hard to find particular sounds. I can't fathom any logical grouping of sounds to make finding a particular instrument in a reasonable amount of time, rather than hunting through 64 banks.

The empty slots on higher numbered banks all have unique sounds. Bank 63, patch 14 sounds like a tubular bell (confirmed it shows up on Pa5X as "Tubular Bell GM"). Patch 16 sounds like an organ. Patch 22 sounds like a harmonica. So these blanks DO have sounds, but are not named. That's what makes me think the list isn't complete. Any idea why there are unique sounds in the blank patches in the upper 35 or so banks?
korgpask

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you like, whoever wants to look up the sounds can look it up in my table that I prepared. These tools are included in the INS for CAKEWALK-SONAR

http://www.korgpa.sk/ins/korgpa5x_sound_ins_2024.xls
Basspig

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

korgpask wrote:
Whatever you like, whoever wants to look up the sounds can look it up in my table that I prepared. These tools are included in the INS for CAKEWALK-SONAR

http://www.korgpa.sk/ins/korgpa5x_sound_ins_2024.xls

Thank you for your efforts. I will explore this list and see if it can make finding instruments a more efficient process.

From what I can tell, instruments are grouped by patch numbers, and variations of instruments are in different banks of the same patch number. Why Korg chose to set it up this way I don't know, but it makes for a lot of mouse clicks just to set up a track.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: