Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

T1 Emulation in Korg Legacy, Digital
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chorg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: T1 Emulation in Korg Legacy, Digital Reply with quote

When I first heard about the M1 emulation in KLC, I made a wish list for T1 emulation, consisting of these four features:

(1) the internal PCM sounds of the T1, in the right "locations" to enable existing T1 programs to work without having to edit them to get the right waves for the two oscillators

(2) the ability to import T1 Programs & Combinations stored in computer files, both as individual sounds and as banks, and/or to receive such files via SysEx (eg from inside Cubase or over MIDI). (The combinations could refer to any of the 200 programs in banks A & B.)

(3) the ability to use data (preferably transferred to hard disk) from T1 PCM diskettes - ie those containing samples, not just patch data - I have many PCM diskettes, some being commercial Korg products, some copied free at Korg, and some from third-party suppliers. I know it's possible for a PC floppy disk drive to read T1 diskettes, because many years ago I bought a PC program (DOS, not Windows) that read T1 diskettes and copied the contents to hard disk. (I suppose this feature amounts to creating your own "PCM Cards" like the ones used in the M1 emulation?)

(4) instrumental response to SysEx in order to play back edits made to sounds during recording at the keyboard, such as from Button-A-H clicks and data-slider movements on the T1. I occasionally recorded (into Atari Cubase) with numerous edits made in this way, mainly changing the samples used in the two oscillators: on playback, the recorded SysEx recreated the edits correctly amongst the other MIDI events; I'd like to be able to replay these sequences using T1 emulation.

Now that the T1 sounds have been made available for use with the M1 emulation, are features 1 & 2 already available?

What about 4?

For me, the most important use of T1 emulation would be to recreate some sequenced pieces (recorded from my T1 into Atari Cubase). Without feature 3, it would be impossible to recreate my sequenced pieces that used third-party PCM data (eg jazz cymbals, various percussion, other instruments, sound effects), and this would seriously limit the value of the T1 emulation.

Any thoughts/comments/feedback?
chorg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francois and Jaz - questions mainly addressed to you, but if anyone else can answer, ...

Under the topic "The ultimate collection of M1 sounds for Korg Legacy Edition", at

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14522

Francois has replied to questions from me about importing SysEx data, and this partly deals with my queries concerning my points (1) & (2) above. However, just to clarify whether I'm interpreting Francois's answers correctly, I've got three supplementary questions. They are more appropriately put here rather than continue under the other topic:

(1) When it's said that the M1 emulator will import SysEx, does this mean that the imported file must contain precisely the bytes that the hardware synths would have sent to the computer, with (for instance) no additional header information, OR will the import feature read and ignore any such header info until it recognises the start of the SysEx part (and similarly ignore any data following the SysEx part)?

(2) Is it unambiguously the case that no files in the popular Steinberg Synthworks formats can be directly imported (ie with no preliminary editing)?

(3) Will the emulator import not only M1 but also T1 bank SysEx files, and will it properly interpret files in T1 format, ensuring that the appropriate multisounds are used when the T1 "sound card" multisound data are in use?

Clive
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chorg wrote:
When it's said that the M1 emulator will import SysEx, does this mean that the imported file must contain precisely the bytes that the hardware synths would have sent to the computer, with (for instance) no additional header information, OR will the import feature read and ignore any such header info until it recognises the start of the SysEx part (and similarly ignore any data following the SysEx part)?

A couple of days ago someone found a file on the net that had a header on it and the Legacy M1 would not read the file. I took the header of the sysex file with a hex editor and it all worked well. So yes, the sysex must be in the same form the hardware generates. These headers are not part of the sysex spec, and I assume have been added by third party librarians for their proprietary use.

I don't know about question 2.

chorg wrote:

Will the emulator import not only M1 but also T1 bank SysEx files, and will it properly interpret files in T1 format, ensuring that the appropriate multisounds are used when the T1 "sound card" multisound data are in use?

In theory ... yes Wink

Daz.
hayashi
Korg Japan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question/suggestion...

The software version of M1 and WAVESTATION do not allow to import SysEx which has multiple chunks. (I mean the chunk is a block of F0 to F7)

It is not planed to change this specification, but I (or someone) probably be able to make a simple utility which "chops" multiple chunked SysEx file to single chunk files with useful file name. I assume that the utility won't care for the input file type, just deal with it as a binary file. So any files can be chopped to be imported into M1/WS.

I just want to know whether it will help you or not.

I'm very happy that you love our synths, so I want to help your cool sounds which created by spending your precious days.

Best regards,
Masanao Hayashi
Cheap Software Engineer Shocked
From sweet living room
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hayashi wrote:
... but I (or someone) probably be able to make a simple utility which "chops" multiple chunked SysEx file to single chunk files with useful file name. I assume that the utility won't care for the input file type, just deal with it as a binary file. So any files can be chopped to be imported into M1/WS.

I just want to know whether it will help you or not.

Hey Masa,

Have you seen this :

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7550

Is my "WS Syx Split" application the same thing as you are suggesting ? Or are suggesting chopping up a sysex message that contains a bank of programs into individual program sysex files ? (Similarly for Combi's etc.)

Daz.

Last edited by Daz on Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
hayashi
Korg Japan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is my "WS Syx Split" application the same thing as you are suggesting ?

Yeah, oh, I think it's almost the same. Can it split any kind of SysEx not only WS?

Masa
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Masa,

Great minds think alike Wink

At the moment my application works only with WaveStation Sysex. It essentially does as you suggested and extracts the blocks of data between 0xF0 and 0xF7 in a generic way. However because it understands the WaveStation Sysex format it is able to store the chopped up sysex in file names that are appropriate to the contents of each block (i.e. the data type and the BANK if relevant)

e.g.

aquila2_AllPatches_Bank1.syx
aquila2_AllPerformances_Bank1.syx
aquila2_AllWaveSequences_Bank1.syx

I could easily adapt my application to understand the M1 sysex too, as per your idea, if people were interested.

Thank you for your kind offer though !

Daz.
hayashi
Korg Japan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daz,
Quote:
aquila2_AllPatches_Bank1.syx
aquila2_AllPerformances_Bank1.syx
aquila2_AllWaveSequences_Bank1.syx

Yes, it's nice to name the files automatically. I think it can be more universal if we can define a kind of configuration file for the application. Or the application contains that information internally. (It's easir than define the configuration file because we only have to consider M1 and WS right now.)

Quote:
I could easily adapt my application to understand the M1 sysex too, as per your idea, if people were interested.

Thanks for your kind offer and too! Wink

Best regards,
Masa
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz wrote:

Let's just say this would have made my job of preparing 246 M1 banks much quicker than cutting/pasting with an Hex editor !
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q1 - Yes, the file needs to be exact. Even adding something after F7 at the end of the file will mean the sysex won't import. It has to start with F0 and ends at F7.

Q2 - No, Synthworks cannot be imported as is without editing the files.

Q3 - Yes, T1 sysex work, I've tried and succeeded importing two Voice Crystal banks I have. Of course, I have other files that won't work because they refer to other samples from Korg floppies (2 series of 10 disks altogether, we have 5 so far).
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francois wrote:
Daz wrote:

Let's just say this would have made my job of preparing 246 M1 banks much quicker than cutting/pasting with an Hex editor !

Oh no ... I am so sorry ... I could have lashed something together for you. Again ... thank you so much for putting that massive collection together for us ... especially now I appreciate it was even more arduous than I had thought.

Daz.
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries. You can still adapt your WS proggy when you have time, I have other banks Wink
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is for Francois Smile

http://daz.korgforums.com/M1SyxSplit.zip

... a quick and dirty tweak of my WaveStation program ... it splits up files that contain multiple M1 sysex dumps and copies each sysex dump into a separate file with an appropriate name. There is no header stripping functionality ... let me know if you need that (send me an example file with header if poss)

For example if I drop the file m1best.syx (from Francois' collection) on the application it creates 3 files :

m1best_AllCombis_Int100.syx
m1best_AllPrograms_Int100.syx
m1best_GlobalSetup.syx

Note the suffix on the Combi and Program files ... it indicates whether the syx came from the Internal memory or the Card and the number of Programs/Combis contained in the file (50 or 100 according to the M1's config).

Daz.
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks. I'll try it later.
hayashi
Korg Japan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks Daz!! Very Happy Wink Surprised
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: