Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Glitchy Problem w/EMX-1
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
westlab430

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Glitchy Problem w/EMX-1 Reply with quote

I am having a serious problem with my EMX-1 (its about 3 monthes old).

There is no midi information going into the unit, the pattern is in stop mode (not running), but the fx edit 1 is randomly changing values.
Sometimes the values are changing so often, it completely overtakes the screen, and you can't do anything else.

I was wondering if it maybe a problem with something overheating, as it seems to happen when the unit is left on for extended periods of time (overnight) or in very hot clubs.

I put the unit in for repair, but they could not reproduce the problem.
Can anyone help me with this?
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds odd, I haven't experienced that with mine. Does this happen when you select one of the initialized patterns in the D bank too ?

Daz.
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like what we call "knob jitter", where a knob/slider is getting read wrong, or is putting our some "noise". I've only seen one instance of this with an Electribe that had been seriously abused on a store floor for many months, but that's the likely culprit.

Service would be required to replace the pot.

Regards,

Jerry
westlab430

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for your fast reply.

The service center that I took it to said they had checked the pot and even resoldered the connections, but still found no problems with it.

I was wondering (but I don't think this is possible), that it maybe a power supply problem. It seems that it occurs more often when left on for hours and sometimes it "acts" better (it doesn't randomly change as often) when plugged into a different room in the studio.
westlab430

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW - I do use the unit in Europe quite a lot, which requires a power converter, could that have damaged the power supply, which maybe causing this problem?
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, I'm not an expert at the electrical design and component level of the products.

But as a possible guess, when a unit has a problem that occurs only after being on for a while it could be a thermal issue, or bad solder point somewhere on the front panel/knob scanning mechanism. So not at the single pot but somehwere else. Assuming the EMX has a panel scanner - I'd have to check that with our Service Tech/schematics.

I'll forward this issue to him, but I know he's on Summer holiday this week. Stay tuned.

Jerry
westlab430

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank Jerry,
This is MUCH appreciated!
przem

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
I've got the same problem... but its worse because LEVEL knob ang EG TIME are not working properly. I'm also using my american wersion of esx in europe - could that be the problem (original korg power supply is plugged into 230->120V (50VA) converter)?
If yes, why only these knobs are working wrong ?

I hope you can help me with that Smile
greets
avanc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Glitchy Problem Reply with quote

My relatively new ESX-1 is doing the same thing. I saw one on the shelf at the store that had these symptoms. I got mine new out of the box, which didn't seem to have the problem... initially. I'm told by the service center that it's a common problem on other synths, as well. Usually dirt that got into the unit, somehow. What I surmise is happening is that the various parameter setting values are changing due to noisy pots. This is causing the unit to continually service "interrupts", thinking that you are making adjustments on the knobs, and preventing you from using the menu screen. I'm taking my unit in this weekend, and will keep you posted. Have you found anything out since your initial posting of the problem? Please share any knowledge. I'll be really disappointed with Korg if it turns out to be a worse problem than I think it is already.
przem

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not very good in english but i'll try to say what i want to Smile
actually i've just finished "repairing" it. Reparing means: take out the pot, take it into peaces, clean, bend this little clout (?) a bit more. When I turned it on - It's still not working properly Sad
The conclusion is it's not the pot, it's somwehere else...
My korg is 2 weeks old so i suspected it woludn't be the pots but it was the only thing i could figure out ;>

I'd be in heaven if anybody can help me (us) Smile
przem

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to tell that in the begining everything was ok, only sometimes EG TIME was changing values a little but that wasnt any problem. Now I can't play at all because LEVEL i almost always changing value to 000 ;/
(the riddle is that EG TIME isn't changing values by itself but I can regualte it only from 005 to 112 ;>)
wilmerv

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: EMX-1, glitchy problem Reply with quote

Actually, I had the same problem with two brand new units, both produced consecutively on the same production run (or however you phrase it). The first one the "depth" parameter value would come up on the screen, the numbers would scroll erratically and no other parameters could be discplayed. I think with the other one it was the "level".
The place I bought it tried to wipe thier hands clean of the situation and fortunately the good people at Korg got a hold of the store and sent them a factory direct unit which they exchanged for the 2nd defective model.
The new one works great and is probably the best equipment purchase I've ever made (well, besides a new laptop, that is).
Peace,
Bill
przem

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they told you what was wrong with your piece ?
wilmerv

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: the problem? Reply with quote

I actually brought it in for repair at a Korg authorized sevice center, and they were going to replace the pot(entiameter). This was on the second one. But the part was taking so damn long to get (I think it was on backorder), that I finally contacted Korg, who sent me a new one. So...I take the repair person's word for it that it was the pot, but never was able to verify that. Like I said they were going to replace it, not just take it out and clean it or whatever.
Peace,
Bill
yorick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem with my esx-1, with pretty much every knob. I bought it a few months ago, and this problem started happening a few weeks back. It's only been used in my immaculate studio since purchase.

I just emailed Korg about the problem, I hope it can get taken care of before my first live show with it. It's actually a releif to see that other people have encountered the same problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: