Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

microX vs Karma

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg X-50 / microX
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sven gali

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: microX vs Karma Reply with quote

I have been looking at microX for a few weeks now and it sounds very impressive! I am confused though at how the sound engine compares with Karma's sound engine (which I own). As far as I understand, they both inherit from Triton - can someone explain what the difference really is? To my ear they sound very different! Smile
asdasd

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they have diffrent presets and maybe something else...

Anyway the effects aren't that great Sad
sven gali

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanks - that's what I thought but to my (rather untrained) ears microX sounds quite a bit better. This is, of course, without taking Karma's crazy arpeggiator into account. Smile
karma1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also own a Karma and recently purchased a Micro X. Both being built on the Triton sound engine, there are obviously some similarities. One difference, however, is that the Karma has, I believe, 5 insert effects, compared to one on the Micro X. While they both sound great, to my ear, the Karma has a fuller and more detailed sound - at least on the kind of evolving pads and atmospheric sounds I use them for. I've compared the same combi on the Karma and the Micro X, and also the Triton Rack. They do differ a bit in some cases. There were a few times I actually preferred the less detailed version on the Micro X. The Karma is still my favorite synth (out of about 10 that I own), but you can't beat the Micro X for incredible sound in an extremely portable package.
4NDRW

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have both
but i'm replacing the karma with the micro-x

here's why.... a rough comparison:

i dont like to use the crazy karma function or the sequencer in the karma music workstation

the micro-x has a usb port and a vst plugin that allows it to communicate easily with sequencer i do use (cubase)

both dont have a sampler

karma can run more insert effects

the micro-x has more samples
and has a sample-set that's more suited to the music i want to make.
i beleive the micro-x has just about all the same samples as the karma/triton classic + its own new ones.

the presets on the micro-x are more usable for the music i like
and the editor i hope will make it easier for me to make my own sounds

the micro-x is really portable and comes with a solid hardcase
(good as i dont have a car, and can safely/easily carry it on a train to band practise)

karma feels better, build wise (i prefer the knobs/keys/buttons)
but is bigger/heavier/more expensive
and isn't great for carrying on a train (and i've had to do it a few times)

micro-x is heaps cheaper to buy

i paid almost $2000AU second hand for my karma about 3 years ago
i got a great deal and paid $500AU for my micro-x (new) when it was on special at a dj stores opening sale.

i have a seperate 61key controller keyboard from novation with semi weighted keys, that i can use when i need more octaves.
(that i bought at the same time)

---

so they have strengths and weaknesses
ask yourself these questions.

is the sequencer important to you?
is the karma function important to you?
would the usb/vst integration be a benefit to you?
would you want a sampler? (then drop both of them and look at something else, like a triton rack/extreme/studio/classic/tr/le or something from another manufacturer, or getting another unit to handle samples)

is the portability useful?
or is having a built in 61key keyboard more important, at the sacrifice of being a bulkier unit?
would you need more keys than a micro-x has? (perhaps look at x50?)
if you do, do you have another keyboard that could control it if necessary to give you more keys?
would this be a pain in the ass if you were performing live?

would you prefer being able to run more insert effects?
or a more updated sample-rom?

that should decide it for you.
4NDRW

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sven gali wrote:
Ah, thanks - that's what I thought but to my (rather untrained) ears microX sounds quite a bit better. This is, of course, without taking Karma's crazy arpeggiator into account. Smile

i think it has better more up to date preset patches
sven gali

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up buying the Micro-X, the price was really good - one thing I really like about it is the USB control over every single parameter in real time from the computer, it opens up a whole new way of programming sounds and it's a lot quicker.
BONES

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Provided you don't need to rely on it on stage. The syncing of the hardware with the VST editor is unacceptably slow, to the point I am happier programming mine from the front panel. I can't believe how stodgy the software editor is. To my mind, the whole reason to use something like this is to get away from the multiple paged panels of the hardware, yet they put it all on multiple tabs. Sure it is not as many pages as the hardware but if I cannot see everything at once, I don't see any point. I find the front-panel pretty good, especially considering it's size.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg X-50 / microX All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: