Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Harmonic distortion after OS 1.2.1 upgrade
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think you have lost the sound quality of the original OS 1.1.1 factory program/combis after the OS 1.2.1 upgrade?
Yes
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
No
85%
 85%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 20

elfrabo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elfrabo wrote:
elvisjohndowson wrote:

Dan, I was just wondering, would it be possible for you to get a few more people involved and get the opinion of say 5 other people and see if they can detect a difference, to see if there is an increased amibient reverb for A114 between OS 1.1.1 and OS 1.2.1 at different velocities. If none of them can, then we can finally conclude this point.

Elvis Dowson

As I mentioned before: the Korg team has convinced me that there are no sound differences. Nevertheless I will listen to A114 before and after installing the update, but it's hard to compare this. I will let you know my opinion.

I just installed OS 1.2.1 and compared A114: no difference to my ears. If you are not convinced Elvis I can publish the WAV files on my webdisk...

My Music
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elvis:

Maybe I missed this, and I apologize if I did, but did you confirm that you are not connected to your computer when doing this? At least, you should not have both Local=ON and MIDI Thru enabled when doing this.

But to be safe I would disconnect ANY MIDI when you are evaluating things. The smoothing implementation might be having an effect. Just making sure.

regards,

Jerry

P.S. What you all haven't seen is that Korg Inc Engineering and Voicing people also spent time evaluating this, so everyone took it seriously and got involved in the study.
peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerrythek wrote:
P.S. What you all haven't seen is that Korg Inc Engineering and Voicing people also spent time evaluating this, so everyone took it seriously and got involved in the study.

... I guess there is NO doubt about it.

Peter

ps: you mean "have seen"
elvisjohndowson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerrythek wrote:
Maybe I missed this, and I apologize if I did, but did you confirm that you are not connected to your computer when doing this? At least, you should not have both Local=ON and MIDI Thru enabled when doing this.

But to be safe I would disconnect ANY MIDI when you are evaluating things. The smoothing implementation might be having an effect. Just making sure.

Hi Jerry,
I'm just using the OASYS 76 stand-alone with no computer attached via MIDI.

Anyway, let me just repeat the process once more and if I still hear it and everyone else doesn't then I'll just bite it, try to forget about it and continue. After all, so many people, especially experts in the field and the creators of this instrument can't be wrong. You'd know it more intimately than the rest.

Going to try it one more time. Smile

Elvis Dowson
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elfrabo wrote:
As I mentioned before: the Korg team has convinced me that there are no sound differences. Nevertheless I will listen to A114 before and after installing the update, but it's hard to compare this. I will let you know my opinion.

Don't forget to try it with the effects off, too. You can just check the boxes in Global mode.

EDIT: Oops, I see you already tested.

Hey, Elvis. I think it's time that you got to know your effects settings and what you can do with them. You can set a level that is less wet and save the program(s).
elvisjohndowson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
Don't forget to try it with the effects off, too. You can just check the boxes in Global mode.
EDIT: Oops, I see you already tested.

Hi Mike,
Will keep this in mind, but I have a sinking feeling I'll probably be doing this just to convince myself Wink !

Elvis Dowson
elvisjohndowson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
There could be many reasons for the small differences in levels. Candidates would include any non-note-on-synced LFOs, such as Program Common LFOs or effects LFOs; any random LFOs, random values in step sequences, random oscillator phase settings, or randomized oscillator scales; minute variations in sequencer playback; etc.

Hi Dan,
I have a suggestion that would probably enable you to have more control over this for conducting regression tests between OS versions for future upgrades.

If you can incorporate a test interface for the OS / AS (Application Software) that will allow you to set the values for all state variables, prior to execution of a test, with the aim of generating an identical waveform for each run and eliminating variances introduced by LFOs and other objects.

Random LFOs and other random objects will need special handling. While recording test data, the randomly generated values will be captured, but during test play back, all random objects can be replaced with the test data that was previously recorded from the random object during play back.

The resulting data can then be compared using spectral analysis or some other form of analysis, to ensure that regression (sonic or otherwise) does not take place between OS updates.

Coming to think of it, when I used to work for my previous company, we used a lot of custom off the shelf software and we used to strictly maintain a set of regression test suites and ran it for every version of the software, to ensure that a new version of the software did not cause an old functionality to deviate beyond a specified tollerance limit. These tools were then used, in turn, to develop part components for aircraft engines, such as it's fan blades, etc, and the aim was to ensure that variances are not introduced into the design/manufacturing/production processes due to regression of the software used for those processes, whenever we upgrade to a newer version of a software.

The same principles could be applied for the OASYS platform. It's probably a little bit more trickier to apply it for checking for sonic regression, but it should be feasible. Just something to reflect on for the long term.

Elvis Dowson
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elvisjohndowson wrote:
Dan, I was just wondering, would it be possible for you to get a few more people involved and get the opinion of say 5 other people and see if they can detect a difference, to see if there is an increased amibient reverb for A114 between OS 1.1.1 and OS 1.2.1 at different velocities. If none of them can, then we can finally conclude this point.

Multiple people have looked into this, both here and in Japan. (We take these matters seriously!) We all agree that there is no difference.

Best regards,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
elvisjohndowson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
Multiple people have looked into this, both here and in Japan. (We take these matters seriously!) We all agree that there is no difference.

Ok, Dan, thanks for the info!

Elvis Dowson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: