Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how do I change the style and sounds when Live performing?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
killbill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: how do I change the style and sounds when Live performing? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am a new user of the korg PA50 and all I want to ask a simple question

Suppose I play a song where I have to change the rythm (ie the style) 3 times and I also have to change voices on the right hand another 3 times. I save all these under a performance. As far as the voices on the right hand I see that I can store them on Upper1-Upper3. But even this way is not convinent at all. In order to change a voice, I will have to press down simultaneously the 2 buttons corresponding to Upper1 to unmute it, and then to press down simultanously another two buttons, those corresponding to Upper2, in order to set the voice set into Upper2. All this trouble in order to change a voice????? And what about if I want to change the style while playing? The only way I have found is to have anohter person sitting next to me, browsing through the style pages...

I have to say that I also had a Yamaha PSR, which costs 400 euros, but at least I could do the thing I just described. In yamaha, you can ajust into 4 buttons all the variations you want to take place while you are playing a song. For example, first you save a song, and then under this song you can set into a single button to change both and the rythm and the voice on your right hand, with just a single press! Why cant korg do the same thing?

Altough I spend 1000 euros to buy a korg, I admit that the sounds and styles are great, but it is very inconvinent to use.

thanx
TedS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
I agree that the two buttons to mute/unmute a voice is difficult.

Remember that all of the factory styles can be customized and overwritten wtih user settings

For the voice changes, try programming your different voices as Single Touch Settings (STS). Then you can get a voice change by pressing only one button in an uncluttered area of the keyboard.

For the style rhythm changes, use the variations at lower left. They are close to the left hand for easy reach. I believe variation changes can also be assigned to a foot switch.

I have both a PA50 and the PSR-3000. Most people think the PSR-3000 is better for "real-time" performances. But just like a lot of other things in life, there are pros and cons to both boards.

Good luck,
Ted S.
Texas USA
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are both out of TUNE or OFF BEAT, i have no time to explain why but i'll just give you answer on your questions, to make your life easier:

KillBill, first of all you are doing it WRONG, there is at least 2 ways of getting to your USER PROGRAMS, PATCHES, SOUNDS or PERFORMANCES or however you wanna call them. First, there are the 160 PERFORMANCES, which you can save them on the synth under PERFORMANCE, you assign PROGRAMS to he 3 UPPERS, you MIX them and FIX them the way you want and then HIT the WRITE BUTTON, on there you have 4 choices, the first on TOP is to NAME your PERFORMANCE, the second is where that PERFORMANCE goes, the third is STS, i'll talk about it later.
You name the PERFORMANCE then you SAVE it. You ACCESS the PERFORMANCES on the right side on your synth, you click on the PERFORMANCE button on the right, right above the PROGRAM CATEGORIES, the STYLE CHANGE button, shut the light off and and just let the PERFORMANCE light ON, then hit the CATEGORIES on the bottom and there you will find the performances, then they are accessible to any STYLE.

Second, there are the STSs or SINGLE TOUCH SETTINGS, the 4 F buttons which eatch of themn can cary a diferent PERFORMANCE on eatch style, which means on eatch STYLE you can have up to 4 PERFORMANCES saved with the style and available in miliseconds. You do the same way as you do with PERFORMANCES, now when you hit SAVE you choose the third RAW where it says STS and you choose which one, you have up to 4, after you save it, when you go back to that style anytime, that STS is always there aslong as the STS button on the left of the monitor is ON. You can save in there up to 4 STS on eatch style.

Changing the styles??? I see no problem, you remember where eatch style is, i have over 350 USER STYLES on my synth over the factory, i know all of them where they are, when you need to change, you just go to the category you want select the page and change the style. Do you really have to go to the page at the last second? Cant you have it open at least 30 secs before???

I guess this helps
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, why MUTE/UNMUTE? I never used this buttons even though i work profesionally with it, and live off of it.
MrVlad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with Nedim. I think its just a case of re-educating yourself in how to play the Korg. I too never use the MUTE/UNMUTE.. and I too play performances, sometimes with style change on, sometimes off.

Its what you get used to at the end of the day.
regards,
Vlad
killbill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STS's dont solve the problem. For example if I select the DISCO style and then program the 4 STS buttons, then for the rest of my life whenever I want to play a song using the DISCO style I am limited to the 4 voices stored in the STS buttons. I have about 50 different songs all of them using DISCO but I want to use different voices on each of them. Not the same four sounds. It would be great if you could program the 4 STS buttons for each performance seperately and not under the same style, but unfortunately you cant. So all my DISCO songs have to use the same 4 voices....

About having the second style prepared 30 seconds before, ohhh come on now. Are you serious? is that a solution for a serious keyboard? And what about If I have to change 3 or more rythms (ie styles) within the same song? then I have to browser through the pages during playing?

With the Variations buttons I cant change the style but I only get a slight variation of the current style used. Suppose I play a song using ROCK then I want to turn to SWING and then to 8BEAT and finaly to end with WALTZ. How can I change to these rythms while playing without browsing? I cant store those changes to the variations buttons.

You said you never Mute/Unmute. So how do you change a voice for example from strings to flute and then to piano? you prefer browsing through the pages while playing?

Anyway, I cant accept the fact that with a 300$ yamaha psr keyboard you can do all the things above, and with this expensive korg you just cant
MrVlad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its one button that needs to be on or off... the "Performance Style Change".
The way I play is that I have songs setup on the Top row of my performance buttons, that have the 4 specific STS voices/programs to that song. ie. in bank 1-1 Song1, 1-2 song2 etc. If i want to call setting for a specific song then I switch the style change button on.

Then I use the bottom row of Performance buttons to change my Programs without changing the style, remembering to switch off the Performance Style Change Button.
ie in bank 11-1 Strings, 11-2 Accordian etc

But most of the time, I just choose Style (from the left hand side of Korg) and then play using the Single Instrument peformances...

regards,
Vlad
MrVlad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With the Variations buttons I cant change the style but I only get a slight variation of the current style used. Suppose I play a song using ROCK then I want to turn to SWING and then to 8BEAT and finaly to end with WALTZ. How can I change to these rythms while playing without browsing? I cant store those changes to the variations buttons.

Thats not true either..

I play Serbian Songs that have 2/4 rythms on Var1, 9/8 on Var2 and 7/8 on var3... its a matter of programming them that way... I can setup a chord variation on VAR1 for MAJ chords, and then change the variation for VAR1 for M7th Chords, etc... so I can nearly write whole songs in to One variation, before moving onto VAR2 in 9/8 Rythm.... it takes a bit of doing but not impossible.

The Korg is an Awesome machine, and I personally wouldn't ever entertain going back to a yamaha... Different League.

regards.
Vlad
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KillBill i am sorry to say this bro but i dont think you have a clue of what you talking about at all, i spent 35 min writing to help you and you still dont get it. Whatever you wrote now it doesnt make any sence at all. I dont know why are you trying to pussh a wall with your head. I explain to you, anything that you want and asked for is possible on the PA, and i explained how, who said you'll be stuck with 4 STS??? Didnt i say that you can have 4 different STS on eatch style? Not only 4 for all the style but 4 for eatch style and they can all be different. Plus you got the 160 Performances, which you can acces from ANY style. Now you talking about style change, are you on HALUCINOGENIC MUSHROOM? I dont really get what you trying to do, you want some TELEPATHY synth? That will change styles on its own? Whenever you think in your brain that you have to change a style the synth will do it right? Thats how you sound, how the hell different do you change styles on YAMAHA? Come on, i think you can be smarter then that.
Come on people, make sence when you say something.
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And i read the other thing from you now about MUTE/UNMUTE, come on bro, you need to go to school. Why the HELL would you do that, on EATCH STYLE you are able to access 164 different performances and now you gonna tell me i am wrong??? Go to school please.
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killbill wrote:

You think in your brain and telepathy changes it.

Come on, i think the Admins should lock this Topic, this dont really make sence, there is still people that have to go to first grade.
killbill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend Nedim,
first of all I dont understand why you are so upset. There is no reason men. We discuss here. I didn't offend you in anyway. I think that you dont understand what I am saying and you haven't understood the simple thing I want to do.

You wrote: "Didnt i say that you can have 4 different STS on eatch style?". I know that, and if you have read more carefully to my post, you would see that I also confirm that. So please be more carefull when reading. I will give you an example to see what I mean and to see that you are the one you dont understand. Of course I know that you can have 4 different 4 STS on each style. So I can have for example 4 STS for the DISCO, 4 STS for WALTZ another 4 STS for 8BEAT etc. As I wrote, that means that whenever I play a DISCO song, or I create a performance using the DISCO style, ALL the songs that use the DISCO style will share the same 4 sounds set on the 4 STSs. If you still dont understand what I say, here is what I want to do:
-I create performance1 for MYSONG1, that uses DISCO and I want to have the flute, piano, guitar, and oboe set on STSs (F1,F2,F3,F4)
-Now I create performance2 for MYSONG2, that ALSO USES DISCO (OK? you read it carefully?), but I want this song to have Marimba, Santur, Accordion, and church pipes set on STSs (F1,F2,F3,F4) (and this makes sense because it is a different song and although it uses DISCO as well I want to use 4 different sounds)
-Now I create performance3 for MYSONG3, that ALSO USES DISCO (OK? you read it carefully again or should I write it again?), but I want this song to have MusicBox, Harpsi, SteelGtr, and NylonGtr set on the 4 STSs.

OK? And I am telling you that this obvious and simple task is impossible to do, becase when you attach 4 STSs for DISCO, then ALL your DISCO songs will use the same 4 sounds. I cant have a second song using ALSO DISCO and attach 4 different sounds on the STSs than the one before.

I hope you finally understood what the point is.

regards
KillBill
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KillBill, i understand you completely, you are right 100% but...???
My whole point, is why are we trying to put a handle on an egg???
We always need something, we always ask for something thats not possible, whats wrong with having some performance setup on the side? So you can access them whenever? And what you want to do is not possible on Yamaha too. I know whati am talking about, thats how i make living. First we have one STYLE, then out of it we want to create 10 different PERFORMANCES from the same STYLE, then we also want the same exact STYLE to cary with it self 4 different STSs in eatch PERFORMANCE...isn't that a lil too much?
Dont you wish you had a synth that you just sit next to it? An ALCHEMY synth, that does everything on its own, sampling, recording, aranging, soloing and else? You do nothing, just sit next to it or even better, a synth that drives too, so you wont have to go to the GIG, just send the synth... Wacky Wacky Wacky Brick wall
killbill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Nedim,

I agree with you but I dont think that I am asking too much. I still believe that the task I wanted to do was something simple and I know people that would like to be able to do it. I dont ask the synth to drive me to gigs!! nor I ask the synth to make cofee for me every morning I wake up!!

Ok I can have 2 or 3 performances for the same song if I want to make the changes I want, this is what you mean uh?.

I am generally very satisfied with Korg PA50, and every day I enjoy it more and more. I discover new things and I spend hours on it

Thanx a lot for the conversation!
ktn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realized this thread is old. I am very new to my KORG-PA50 but figured out how to change styles and or voices in live performance.
Here is how I did it:
1) group the few styles in a single USER STYLE BANK (#1 for example), make sure to set their tempo to be the same (unless you want them to be different)
2) group your favorites PROGRAMS in a single USER PROGRAM BANK

For live play: select one of the style, you can use one of the 4 STS to select different voices, however, I simply select the USER PROGRAM BANK and I see 8 voices there to select with one single button.
When I am about to change style, I switch to my USER STYLE BANK, then push select a different one (one bar before actual switching occurs), then selct my USER PROGRAM BANK again.
Just be careful when playing the melody during the switch as the voice changes when the synth switch to new styl.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA80 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: