Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where is the roadmap for the M3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spinoria

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Where is the roadmap for the M3 Reply with quote

I would really like to know some facts about the future expansions.
I recently sold my Triton Extreme just to buy and M3 and now I'm starting to regret that I sold my Extreme.
Why?
Because I want good sounds, many sounds, many variations and I want good combis.

I really was hoping the M3 would be a good investment for me and a workstation that could be expanded over the years. Even with the old Triton series the first version had two expansion slot + MOSS expansion.

With the M3 you will need som RAM memory to get new sounds. From what I understand RAM memory is volataile and you need to load your expansions every time you boot up. Also the expansions is steeling RAM from you sample libraries.

Please someone at Korg... Where is the roadmap.
It's an expensive product and I think you need to give us future buyers some info.

- Will there be any expansions besides the radias?
- Will theese expansions just modify the current set of PCM-samples or will there be new PCM-samples to extend the M3?
- Will each expansion have a limit (32, 62, 128 mb xxxxmb ?)
- Will there be a limit of number of expansions?
- How will the expansions effect the sample RAM memory?[/list]
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is the roadmap for the M3 Reply with quote

spinoria wrote:
I would really like to know some facts about the future expansions.

Korg never provided a "road map" with the Triton series, so I am not sure why you expect one for the M3. With the Triton series, the EXB-PCM expansions were mentioned as part of the architecture, and Korg then released nine of them over the next 3 or 4 years.

spinoria wrote:

- Will there be any expansions besides the radias?
- Will theese expansions just modify the current set of PCM-samples or will there be new PCM-samples to extend the M3?
- Will each expansion have a limit (32, 62, 128 mb xxxxmb ?)
- Will there be a limit of number of expansions?
- How will the expansions effect the sample RAM memory?

Expansion types are part of the architecture from the beginning. The M3 has a fixed set of expansions:
-- EXB-FW (Firewire connectivity for audio and midi)
-- EXB-M256 (Sample expansion board)
-- EXB-RADIAS
-- EXB-USB-PCM Series (USB Memory devices with samples)

The EXB-USB-PCM will be new samples, most likely conceptually similar to the Triton EXB-PCM expansions.

I would expect Korg to announce some number of EXB-USB-PCMs this coming January (Winter NAMM) and everything about how they work will be explained.

If I had to guess I suspect:
-- they are samples that reside on a USB Key
-- they are loaded into sample RAM (so you probably really need the EXB-M256 to use them)
-- Hopefully the loading process will be simple or automatic
-- similar to the Triton EXB-PCM series, Korg will NOT state up front how many different ones they plan to create
-- I assume a single USB Key can hold all of the series, and that people purchase authorization codes to unlock the samples similar to what is done with the OASYS.

Hopefully each EXB-USB-PCM will be less expensive than the Triton EXB-PCM boards (originally $199 each).

I suspect Korg has been lacking on the EXB-USB-PCM details since they might not have had them fully worked out at M3 product launch time (since the "hardware" is external, using the USB port).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: