Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ANOTHER BEGINNING MIDI QUESTION

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrispatterson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: ANOTHER BEGINNING MIDI QUESTION Reply with quote

Hey guys. Okay here's another goofy question...the disk drive on my X2 is no longer working so I have all these disks of patches that are useless. I also have copies of the preset sounds on my computer. Is it possible to somehow load these presets into my X2 via MIDI or some other method bypassing the disk drive? Also, I have been using several soft synth plug-ins within my Fruity Loops program on my computer, but I wondered if it was possible to have those sounds go the other way..in other words, instead of having to use these sounds within that particular program have it so that I can use them within say, Cakewalk (which I also have). I know these are rudimentary to many of you but thanks for being willing to contain your laughter at an old man here!
highland hippie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: saving stuff from your machine Reply with quote

hello chrispatterson

I have asked the same type of question regarding this issue with an M1 I have. I have only had this for a short time but I am working my way through the manual.

It does seem that it is possible to save stuff from the synth to a pc or mac using a midi cable. I think you can get something like Midiox from the web and then send stuff to a pc etc and this I assume works the other way.

I have spoken to a really helpful guy this week regarding files for my synth so when he gets back to me I will tyr to let you know how to do this.

It may take a few days or more but if and when I get it sorted I will contact you.

regards Hippie
chrispatterson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: THANKS! Reply with quote

Awesome! I appreciate your willingness to help! If you find out anything please let me know. This is driving me crazy!
highland hippie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: tranfer of files Reply with quote

hi chrispatterson

I got midiox (FREE DOWNLOAD FROM THE WEB) and I have spent the week trying to work out how to transfer stuff. Finally today I realised I was sending files in Midiox to my synth but it would not receive them until I went into the global section and switched SYSEX enable on, for good measure I also swithced local off and sync to external.
I went back to midiox and sent a sysex file of programs to my machine and after a few seconds there they werein the program section. I also did the same with some combi patches and it all seems to work fine.

I have only just started using a synth in the last few weeks and it is a bit of a steep learning curve. I don't know what your synth is like for programs etc but I am guessing if you have midi in and out and a computer you should be able to save and reload stuff to either.
Hope this helps

regards Hippie Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: ANOTHER BEGINNING MIDI QUESTION Reply with quote

chrispatterson wrote:
Okay here's another goofy question...the disk drive on my X2 is no longer working so I have all these disks of patches that are useless. I also have copies of the preset sounds on my computer. Is it possible to somehow load these presets into my X2 via MIDI or some other method bypassing the disk drive?

I am not familiar with the X2, but I would guess that it works similarly to the newer Korg pieces; It is possible to transfer sounds to/from Korg synths using MIDI (as HH mentioned), but this generally requires you have to have the sound data in a particular file format called Sysex. When Korg synths save stuff to floppy disks they use a different file format and that is not suitable for sending via MIDI. You may be able to find software on the internet that is able to convert between formats that takes a file that was saved to a floppy and convert it to one suitable for sending via MIDI. I have written just such a piece of software for the Korg Triton for example. No, that won't work with the X2 Wink

Quote:
Also, I have been using several soft synth plug-ins within my Fruity Loops program on my computer, but I wondered if it was possible to have those sounds go the other way..in other words, instead of having to use these sounds within that particular program have it so that I can use them within say, Cakewalk (which I also have). I know these are rudimentary to many of you but thanks for being willing to contain your laughter at an old man here!

If the soft synths are the ones built into Fruity Loops itself, then I believe it's possible to do this with the current version of FL because it can be loaded as a software instrument into other software applications that support the VST standard. I can't say more on that, 'cos I am Mac user nowadays and haven't used that software for a while as it is PC only.

On the other hand if the software instruments are not part of Fruityloops itself and are just generic VST instruments you should be able to load them into any VST host. Cakewalk products haven't always been able to host VST instruments, but more recent versions of their software have been able to straight out of the box. If your version doesn't support VST hosting then you need to upgrade it or buy the VST->DirectX plug-in adapter that is available (god knows where ... that's another PC only concept Wink)

Daz.
highland hippie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: file transfer Reply with quote

Hi Daz

As you can see I am very very new to this stuff and I am quite unaware of a lot of the issues. In respect of the fact that the files saved to disc are in a different format to sysex, does this mean that any files saved to the korg card I have will be the same and not something I could send to my pc for retreival later?

I am able to save files from the M1onto the card and then transfer them to another M1 but is this all the card is good for?

any assistance is always welcome

regards Hippie Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
yoshis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone!!
Would somebody be kind and explain to me what does SYSEX mean?
Where do I have to enable that? in MIDI-OX?
Or where on my N1?

Some of the things named on the forum are too technical for my english, so any help will be apreciated!!!
Regards!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: