Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Trinity, New Member
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sawtooth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: New Trinity, New Member Reply with quote

Hi,

Just got my first Trinity - a V3 61 key (with PBS-TRI) in fantastic condition!
I've been lurking on the forum picking up a few sounds and tips, and I've just used some info on here to fix my headphone and master outputs.
I'm not known for my electronics prowess, but OK with a soldering iron, so I took off the bottom cover and the left hand end panel, removed the master output board and the headphone board, resoldered the pins on the jacks and I'm happy to report all outputs are now solid as a rock. It's not a difficult job, so long as you make sure you ground yourself on the metalwork (unplug the beast first, though!) and don't put too much heat on the solder tags. I was worried I was biting off more that I could chew, but seriously, for anyone plagued with crackly or intermittent outputs its a job worth doing.

Thanks everyone for your posts and info - they've been a real help!
Sawtooth Very Happy
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome here, and compliments for your purchase!
The MOSS board is an amazing thing to have, and the PBS is a great complement that turns the Trinity in a real beast.
Be sure to check on the Korg Italy website all soundsets for the PBS available as a free download (previously they were commercially released from Korg.net)

Regards

Korg M3 with EXB Radias & EXB-256 onboard
MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
MusiKman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New Trinity, New Member Reply with quote

sawtooth wrote:
Hi,

I've been lurking on the forum picking up a few sounds and tips, and I've just used some info on here to fix my headphone and master outputs.
I'm not known for my electronics prowess, but OK with a soldering iron, so I took off the bottom cover and the left hand end panel, removed the master output board and the headphone board, resoldered the pins on the jacks and I'm happy to report all outputs are now solid as a rock. It's not a difficult job, so long as you make sure you ground yourself on the metalwork (unplug the beast first, though!) and don't put too much heat on the solder tags. I was worried I was biting off more that I could chew, but seriously, for anyone plagued with crackly or intermittent outputs its a job worth doing.

Sawtooth Very Happy

Hey, thanks for posting about this issue. I am having the same problem with my Trinity. Analog outs dont work fine, only one out. Did you by any chance take any pics about the procedure? I'm really afraid to do it. I have soldered before, but I wonder if I mess mine up somehow.
"I know the plans that I have for you, declares the LORD. They are plans for peace and not disaster, plans to give you a future filled with hope." Then you will call to me. You will come and pray to me, and I will hear you. "When you look for me,you will find me. When you wholeheartedly seek me, I will let you find me, declares the Lord." Jeremiah 29:11
Wily

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats with your purchase sawtooth!!! its an amazing silverbeast you own there... i always wish to have a V3 trinity or trinity pro...

how much did you get it?
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: New Trinity, New Member Reply with quote

MusiKman wrote:
sawtooth wrote:
Hi,

Sawtooth Very Happy

Hey, thanks for posting about this issue. I am having the same problem with my Trinity. Analog outs dont work fine, only one out. Did you by any chance take any pics about the procedure? I'm really afraid to do it. I have soldered before, but I wonder if I mess mine up somehow.

hi this seems to be a "classic" issue in trinity model, also mine had the same problems one year ago.

its also in the classic thread, have a look:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3556

in my case i just have to open up the beast removing back panel and fix the cables connection that goes to L/R output (it's easy to se these cables as are in front of you when you open up the trinity) and I do not need anything, just to push down a little the cables in the connector.
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sawtooth! Yes, the headphone/output jacks are a common easter egg on the Trinity, but easily fixed as you found.

Well done on grabbing the PBS. It's a rare upgrade, but increases the longevity of the Trinity 100-fold, and that's no hyperbole. With the PBS you can make the Trinity sound like ANY keyboard! And it's FlashROM, so everything stays in memory after powering down.

Welcome to the board (both of them, ho ho). Smile
MusiKman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New Trinity, New Member Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. The main reason i haven't really gone into my Trinity is cause I am using the Digital Output. That has helped me a lot and I guess its not affected by the short in the analog board. Either way, I still wanna fix it cause it does affect my Headphone out and sometimes I dont want to fire up the whole DAW to just play the trinity.
Gonna try it out. Gonna get me a new solder iron. What type solder do you guys recommend?
"I know the plans that I have for you, declares the LORD. They are plans for peace and not disaster, plans to give you a future filled with hope." Then you will call to me. You will come and pray to me, and I will hear you. "When you look for me,you will find me. When you wholeheartedly seek me, I will let you find me, declares the Lord." Jeremiah 29:11
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A low wattage iron for electronic usage. This would mean it doesn't heat or stress any electronics you apply it to quite so much, like a hotter iron would. You don't need a huge 'tip' (the nib of the iron) either. Often with electronics you want to be able to apply the tip almost surgically, so no big/bulky tips needed. Often irons come with a couple of different removable nibs.

My iron is a 15Watt iron made by "Antex". Cost me £15 (about $30 USD, but everything here costs twice as much as the USA, so you'd possibly be looking at $20). However Antex is a British manufacturer. I'm sure there are plenty of USA equivalents.

You'd also need a solder sucker (to remove solder if needed), solder (I use 1mm Alloy 60/40 (Tin/Lead respectively) with 2.2% Flux added, which keeps everything clean and maleable on the points of contact), and a suitable stand for holding the iron when its on but not being used.

However, new laws have been brought in that eliminate lead (as in the metal) from new solder thesedays. So not sure as to which solder to use. I'm still using the old stuff with lead in it.
MusiKman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Timo!

Timo wrote:
A low wattage iron for electronic usage. This would mean it doesn't heat or stress any electronics you apply it to quite so much, like a hotter iron would. You don't need a huge 'tip' (the nib of the iron) either. Often with electronics you want to be able to apply the tip almost surgically, so no big/bulky tips needed. Often irons come with a couple of different removable nibs.

My iron is a 15Watt iron made by "Antex". Cost me £15 (about $30 USD, but everything here costs twice as much as the USA, so you'd possibly be looking at $20). However Antex is a British manufacturer. I'm sure there are plenty of USA equivalents.

You'd also need a solder sucker (to remove solder if needed), solder (I use 1mm Alloy 60/40 (Tin/Lead respectively) with 2.2% Flux added, which keeps everything clean and maleable on the points of contact), and a suitable stand for holding the iron when its on but not being used.

However, new laws have been brought in that eliminate lead (as in the metal) from new solder thesedays. So not sure as to which solder to use. I'm still using the old stuff with lead in it.

Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: New Trinity, New Member Reply with quote

sawtooth wrote:
Hi,

WOW!!
(if it had had Solo synth expention [the one that has "air works"], this would definastly be my dream keyboard)
Congrats!
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New Trinity, New Member Reply with quote

Vadim wrote:
sawtooth wrote:
Hi,

WOW!!
(if it had had Solo synth expention [the one that has "air works"], this would definastly be my dream keyboard)
Congrats!

I believe Airworks was converted to Moss. I'm very sure I've seen it in one of the factory preset banks.
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New Trinity, New Member Reply with quote

Timo wrote:
Vadim wrote:
sawtooth wrote:
Hi,

WOW!!
Congrats!

I believe Airworks was converted to Moss. I'm very sure I've seen it in one of the factory preset banks.

Ok. than I guess Sawtooth has the 'dream keyboard' Very Happy

I wish my tr-rack or at least Triton-extreme had this patch (and few other Solo-tri patches)
sawtooth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: New Trinity, New Member Reply with quote

[quote="Timo"]
Vadim wrote:
sawtooth wrote:
Hi,

WOW!!
Congrats!

Thanks so much for all the messages people - what a nice lot you are! I'm very pleased with the Trinity so far, and I'm only just getting my head around the benefits the flash rom addition gives me. The only downer is it's not a 76 noter (could do with the extra range for pianos and setting up performance splits etc) and I wish I could locate a HDR-TRI card so I could rely a little less on floppy disks - but I aint complaining!

I run a Logic Pro softsynth rig in the main using the stock Logic instruments and Spectrasonics Atmosphere, as I thought this would give me a lot of flexibility with the added benefit of bypassing the meteoric depreciation of a collection of hardware synths. (I've owned 2 MS20's in the past and sold them in the 80's for £50 each before analogue got fashionable again!)

But the sounds on the Trinity compare really well with any sound I could get in the Logic setup, which is saying something for a 10 year old synth, so I reckon it will definitely replace Logic Pro for live stuff Very Happy

Regarding fixing the audio outs, sorry I didn't take any piccies, but I would second Timo's recommendation of a fine tip soldering iron - you basically need to re-solder around the legs of the output jack sockets (you'll need to remove the output board and turn it over to see them) and a fine soldering iron will melt the existing solder faster to minimise any component damage.

Oh and Timo - your Moss sound set is amazing and inspirational - thanks so much!
MusiKman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New Trinity, New Member Reply with quote

Thanks for soldering tips. I will go ahead and try to get a fine tip soldering iron. For now, I have it hooked up via the digital out. Works just fine but I have to always do my recordings at 48khz. Sometimes, I want to record at 44.1khz. Guys do you know of any software sample rate converter?
So far all is nice with the digital sound but I can't play my keyboard live for now.

[quote="sawtooth"]
Timo wrote:
Vadim wrote:
sawtooth wrote:
Hi,

WOW!!
Congrats!

Thanks so much for all the messages people - what a nice lot you are! I'm very pleased with the Trinity so far, and I'm only just getting my head around the benefits the flash rom addition gives me. The only downer is it's not a 76 noter (could do with the extra range for pianos and setting up performance splits etc) and I wish I could locate a HDR-TRI card so I could rely a little less on floppy disks - but I aint complaining!

I run a Logic Pro softsynth rig in the main using the stock Logic instruments and Spectrasonics Atmosphere, as I thought this would give me a lot of flexibility with the added benefit of bypassing the meteoric depreciation of a collection of hardware synths. (I've owned 2 MS20's in the past and sold them in the 80's for £50 each before analogue got fashionable again!)

But the sounds on the Trinity compare really well with any sound I could get in the Logic setup, which is saying something for a 10 year old synth, so I reckon it will definitely replace Logic Pro for live stuff Very Happy

Regarding fixing the audio outs, sorry I didn't take any piccies, but I would second Timo's recommendation of a fine tip soldering iron - you basically need to re-solder around the legs of the output jack sockets (you'll need to remove the output board and turn it over to see them) and a fine soldering iron will melt the existing solder faster to minimise any component damage.

Oh and Timo - your Moss sound set is amazing and inspirational - thanks so much!

Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New Trinity, New Member Reply with quote

MusiKman wrote:
....I have to always do my recordings at 48khz. Sometimes, I want to record at 44.1khz. Guys do you know of any software sample rate converter?

Actually this is interesting, as all of Korg's workstations natively output audio at 48KHz instead of 44.1KHz, even on the normal audio jack outputs... Yet you never hear anyone complaining about it when they record the synth at 44.1KHz instead using their soundcard.

Musik, I'd just use a wave editor like Wavelab, Sound Forge, or Cool Edit Pro (Adobe Audition), or similar to convert to 44.1KHz. Use the best quality setting. No-one would be able to tell the difference between the 48KHz and the converted 44.1KHz really, particularly if you only do the conversion once the artefacts will be minimal.

sawtooth wrote:

You're welcome. Glad you liked. Smile

Vadim wrote:
Timo wrote:
Vadim wrote:
sawtooth wrote:
Hi,

WOW!!
Congrats!

Ok. than I guess Sawtooth has the 'dream keyboard' Very Happy

I wish my tr-rack or at least Triton-extreme had this patch (and few other Solo-tri patches)

Just checked, and Airworks is in the converted "SOLO_TRI.PCG" set for Moss-TRI, patch #009.

Opened it up and it's a Reed patch (physical modelling). Tried to replicate it using the normal Trinity ROM waveforms/multisamples, but it's totally unique so I failed miserably.

Does your Triton Extreme have a MOSS board inside, Vadim? If so, it would be no problems writing the settings down for you to build it from scratch. Moss-TRI and EXB-Moss are identical, other than the effects.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Trinity All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: