Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M3 Vs. Oasys
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
subeih

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: M3 Vs. Oasys Reply with quote

I know that Oasys is the flagship and mother of all keyboards out there.

However I have a single question, if I am buying the keybaord for the sounds only, are they similar. Is the Oasys still better sounding machine. I only care about sounds as the M3 features are more than enough. However I am willing though to pay more if sounds on the Oasys are better.

Thanks
Murad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to the Karma forum for an excellent comparison ( KarmaLabs)
EJ2
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to KLF's comparison of the OASYS and M3 http://www.karma-lab.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8573

CATALYST v 2 Blast of Inspiration for KRONOS & OASYS: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst2.html
CATALYST v 1 Combi Explosion for KRONOS, OASYS, M3, & K-M50: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst1.html
CHEMISTRY 3, a Groove Injection for Your Karma: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/chem3.html
SoundCloud MP3 Demoshttps://soundcloud.com/ej2-sc
MrT-Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting the feature lists aside, though, does anyone have any thoughts on how the actual sound from the M3 compares to the HD-1 engine on the Oasys? Does the M3 still sound pretty darn good in comparison, or lo-fi, or what? How apparent would the difference be if you had a blindfold on?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good question, but very few folks have the Oasys and the M3

From my messing around with the Oasys in a store and owning the M3-M, some instruments are very close- the EP's, guitars, bass , drums and some of the combi's

You are looking at someone doing a few hours with an A vs B comparison with headphones for a definitive answer
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT-Man wrote:
Putting the feature lists aside, though, does anyone have any thoughts on how the actual sound from the M3 compares to the HD-1 engine on the Oasys? Does the M3 still sound pretty darn good in comparison, or lo-fi, or what? How apparent would the difference be if you had a blindfold on?

Stephen Kay owns both and he can detect a difference. IIRC he said something like the M3 sounds great, and the OASYS sounds even better.

I would suspect that one could tell a difference with a blindfold assuming you had a good monitoring system.

Given the big price difference between the two, the most important point would be what do you think of the M3's sound just by itself. If you like the sound, then buy it.
silverdragonsound
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinHines wrote:
MrT-Man wrote:

Stephen Kay owns both and he can detect a difference. IIRC he said something like the M3 sounds great, and the OASYS sounds even better.

I would suspect that one could tell a difference with a blindfold assuming you had a good monitoring system.

Given the big price difference between the two, the most important point would be what do you think of the M3's sound just by itself. If you like the sound, then buy it.

Unless your comparing the two in terms of deciding which one to purchase, Martin is absolutely right. If you like the M3, like the sounds and other intangibles then you should go for it.
MrT-Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I *am* comparing the two in terms of deciding which one to purchase! Wink

I just read the SoS review of the M3 (which is very favorable, BTW). Their conclusion seems to be that the M3 does sound pretty much as good as the Oasys, when you play the exact same sample on each. The reviewer does make it clear, though, that there's obviously a lot else that seperates the two...
John01W
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be nice if it was true.....but the smoothing of the controllers is very bad from examples I've heard, still hear the stair-stepping:(....Man, you figure Korg would by now fix things like this.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John, I solved the filter issue

I bought a permanent , rinsable , dishwasher safe coffee filter from Bed Bath & Beyond

No more stair stepping to the grocery store for flimsy paper coffee filters

Very Happy
John01W
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Hey John, I solved the filter issue

I bought a permanent , rinsable , dishwasher safe coffee filter from Bed Bath & Beyond

No more stair stepping to the grocery store for flimsy paper coffee filters

Very Happy

Lol Wink
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murad -

I'm an OASYS owner and have never played an M3, so this is not a comparison per say.

What I can tell you is that the OASYS has two significant 'sound' advantages over other typical workstations, and probably the M3:

1. The samples are uncompressed. This will not make a significant difference on large, luscious sounds steeped in effects; but it makes ALL the difference when you wish to use a sample in a top-end, pristine recording where true fidelity is required. This is particularly the case with the OASYS percussion sounds. I worked on a job with a classical percussionist/composer last year, where he used my OASYS over 6 weeks. Over that time he actually fell in love with the percussion sounds on the OASYS, saying that they were among the very best, if not THE best percussion sounds he'd ever worked with - including sample libraries. The job we were doing was a TV drama where the remit was to have a score not unlike the remake of The Italian Job - so you can imagine the demands n the OASYS to deliver, and it did so magnificently. So the OASYS percussion samples are truly exquisite and can be used up-front in a mix, with total confidence in them. I'm not a percussionist - but I can tell you that I was delighted to have that independent expert appraisal. The OASYS is at the very upper echelon of sample systems.

If the M3 samples are compressed, its likely that they will suffer a little in that respect. Your judgement call is whether this is important to you, and whether you can substitute that with far cheaper yet more dedicated sample libraries that I'm sure are in actuality as good as the OASYS samples (though its as much about the programming of the samples and this is where the OASYS and probably M3 benefit from Korgs experience here).

2. The OASYS has MANY synthesizer engines that are all very different from one another. Apart from the samples (including an excellent grand piano), the virtual drawbar organ is truly stunning. Then there are the three virtual analog synths - AL-1, PolysixEX and MS20EX, all that are very different but all extremely strong; and finally STR-1 which is the virtual string model; to say nothing of the new libraries from KARO and perhaps other synth-models to come. While we're all tired of reading these 'unbelievable' specs of the OASYS; I can tell you that a fully up-to-date OASYS is staggeringly formidable - and I mean STAGGERINGLY formidable - its not like other synthesizer; and provided absolutely incredible sonic options. Of course the Radias board will add significantly to the M3. I have played a Radias ait's sublime - it will more that serve your Virtual Analog needs, and there's barely an Oasys owner who wouldn't love a Radias EXi for their OASYS.

Only in recent weeks I have come to the realisation (after owning an OASYS for a year and a half) that many of my remaining frustrations with it are based on the fact that it will truly have to be several more years before I have become sufficiently knowledgeable of all its features to use it in the way I know it can be used - it's THAT deep. But is not like other instruments where you accept a level of understanding and harness that percentage of its features. Its open-ended architecture and exquisite user interface invite you to keep exploring. It feel fresh all of the time. But this is something that the M3 also shares - its user interface looks fantastic also.

So I personally think a comparison between the two instruments is not straight forward, I think they are different beasts. In my view the release of the M3 and the Yamaha Motif XS have given me new clarity on just how significant and awesome the OASYS is - its an absolute monster and it'll be some time before I have learnt to tame it fully for my uses.

That said, the M3 is one beautiful machine. I would love to own one - but I put much of that desire down to watching Stephen Kay's videos. Only Stephen Kay could make an OASYS owner want an M3!! So I'll hold off an be a bit more rational about the need for an M3 and let the maestro's spell fade before I make such a decision.

Not sure if that helps!

Kevin.
WWW: www.knect.ie
subeih

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Kevin,

Many many thanks for your very informative explanation.

I guess the oasys does sound better from your reviews. I have to wait till I get my hands on an M3 before deciding.

Obviously you are a professional and you have much more experience than I do. I used korg workstations from the X3, Triton, PA1Xpro, and now I am looking at upgrading.

The Oasys in Jordan is about 8000 USD, where the M3 is 3000 USD. I am very much interested in an instrument that will create great solo sounds.

Do you think the Oasys price justifies the difference in sound quality vs. the M3?

Can oasys load different VSTI and plug inns like those software and computer based synthesizers, or it will only use whatever Korg creates for it?

Also I get the feeling that forexample a triton keyboard has so much sounds created for it since it's that popular instrument. However the PA1Xpro which is much more expensive machine was not as easy to find sounds and styles for. We waited for Korg to give us new sounds and styles.

I have a feeling that with an oasys the owner will very much be responsible for making sounds,...etc and will not find much help around since not many people own the machine vs. M3 which I expect many people to buy and have tons of material to offer Do you think I am right?

Please take into consideration that music is not my career, it's my life time passion and I save money to be able to buy the best gear and will do it again for the oasys if it's better.

Again I want to thank you for having the time to answer my previous question in such detail. It's seems you are very passionate about OASYS.

Thanks in advance
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Murad -

Of course this is all my opinion only.

From what I can gather without having played it, the M3 is spectacular. Im my opinion, if you were to go for an M3, far from disappointing in any way, even with the inevitable comparison to the OASYS - the M3 is going to be a phenomenal addition to your setup. For those areas that are worth comparing between the two, I'd say you're actually splitting hairs. Certainly, seeing Stephen Kay play both, I can see no differences worth talking about. But I think what Stephen Kay demonstrated most validly is that either of these instruments in the hands of the right player is absolutely exceptional.

So I personally think that all OASYS and M3 owners have many personal hurdles to overcome before the exploit the full potential of either.

Furthermore, many OASYS owners bought into the OASYS because it was the only such option. But many of those owners would arguably be just as happy with an M3. And as an OASYS owner, I genuinely think the M3 has some unique features that the OASYS does not but I wish it did - such as the screen as a modulation source, addition of Radias...

I think from here on in the question as to which to purchase has to be carefully considered. The OASYS is its name sake - an open architecture, so that's what the advantage is at this stage and what you're buying into, plus the other bells and whistles mentioned already. But if from what you see of the M£ satisfies you, then probably the additional $5000 isn't necessary. But as I said in my last posts - the OASYS is a monster; and I believe its worth every penny and more.

The way I look on it is this - I usually buy ONLY the top end synth of a range because I know that that's the veyr best that can be delivered to the world right now. I know that the OASYS will not date as much as a Triton, for example. I have done this in the past, and I own synthesizers thirty years old that still serve exquisitely. So for me the OASYS is a bit of an 'expression' of our times and I feel very privilaged to be able to sit at one. that said, the M3 is a derived technology from the OASYS and offers much of the same.

Such to'ing and fro'ing between the could two go on forever - but I think that's a reflection of how exciting both instruments are. But the bottom line is - if you buy an M3 your going to love it - its too impressive not to truly excite you.

Cheers,
Kevin.
Villi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered other brands? Like, for example the Kurzweil K2600 or the Yamaha Motif.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: