Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

POLL: **THE OASYS SEQUENCER** and "Updates"
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is The Sequencer in **NEED** of an update/Overhaul?
1. Definitley YES - Vital in fact for music "flow"
52%
 52%  [ 37 ]
2. Yes but not actually "Vital" - but still important, however
12%
 12%  [ 9 ]
3. Yes, but in "korgs" own time - no real rush
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
4. No, EXi's/EXF etc are more important to me
23%
 23%  [ 17 ]
5.I use external Sequencer, so definitly no
8%
 8%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 71

AnthonyB
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: POLL: **THE OASYS SEQUENCER** and "Updates" Reply with quote

Hello, just wanted to create a poll (my first), to see what percentage of people who own the OASYS actually CARE about the on-board sequencer, and would want improvements to it. Since some people complain about the Sequencer, that "some" could be just "1%" of the 3-4 thousand owners - who knows!. Well, I want to see, on these forums what people think about the sequencer, and the possibility of an update etc. Smile

An update could be from a small increment, to a fully fledged 32 midi/32 Audio etc. But really; I just want to know how many (and the percentage) want an update - and those that don't....

I know there are sequencer topics everywhere - it seems, and it's been "Done-to-Death", but Since Stephen Kay said """there's a large section of users that don't give diddly-squat about the internal sequencer, and would be much happier with another EXi than an update"""" ; I thought it right to create a poll to see who actually couldn't give a "diddly-squat" Very Happy or, in fact, those who could Cool

Thank you all

AnthonyB

JOHN 3:16
thekeymaster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm voting definatly yes.

Reasons:

because the OASYS is the pinnacle of hardware sound creation at this time and is by far the best keyboard product on the planet but could be even better if the seq was brought in line with all the Effx,Exi's,HD-1 and Karma capablities.

Korg should now recognise that their seq needs a major overhaul.

The OASYS is a platform for future products,the M3 has been produced through it so why not take the OASYS and utilise its abilities to produce the best hardware seq ever found on a workstation ,period.

It will be intersting to see how this poll pans out.So far I'm not surprised at the voting......Korg you need to listen to your users!!!!!

Cake Muncher
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm voting for number 1, and at the risk repeating myself for a millionth time. All I want is the ability to do simple things like shift notes (transpose) in pattern mode, just as you can do on the main edit page.

Most of the things I want are available already to some menus. It's just like... someone never bothered to include them to the other areas.

That said, I'm not going to dwell on this subject any more because I honestly don't believe KORG take the Sequencer serious.

I can learn to live with it as it is, as I don't use anything else, and I don't want to.
External sequencers are not for me.

Regards.
Sharp.
Charlie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - what should one vote here Confused ... I got rid of all my other sequencers and now use only the Oasys. Looking back esp. the start was HORRIBLE Rolling Eyes - but once you get used to it, most of the things I need could be done easily enough (one more time a big "Thank you, Mike!" Very Happy ). At the same time I have to admit I don't do excessive editing (anymore Embarassed ). So I voted for 2: It's not vital but would be niced to be improved. What I miss most is the piano-roll!
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: POLL: **THE OASYS SEQUENCER** and "Updates" Reply with quote

AnthonyB wrote:
Hello, just wanted to create a poll (my first), to see what percentage of people who own the OASYS actually CARE about the on-board sequencer, and would want improvements to it. Since some people complain about the Sequencer, that "some" could be just "1%" of the 3-4 thousand owners - who knows!. Well, I want to see, on these forums what people think about the sequencer, and the possibility of an update etc. Smile

I'm for the EXi/EXf thing, only because I've came a couple of parsec's too far with using Cubase 4. If I wasn't, it would be the top thing on my list. I just gave up using the SEQ.

On other note, I would really love to see more EXs's, as well. One nice EXs3 with more percussion sounds (orchestral soundset - triangle, orchestral cymbal, glass, gong, ...), more woodwinds (sax, trombone, trumpet, oboe, horn and stuff like that) would be most welcomed. Existing sounds are good but there's just that small bit missing for serious usage (so far, I grade them 4 on a scale to 5). I find the other sounds to be absolutely fantastic - whereever the musical journey takes me, I can find just the perfect sound for it (5/5). Especially when I find my perfect KARMA Smile Wink

Since you can have up to 2GB of memory in the OASYS, you can't really use it as a super-serious sampler. If you don't use a lot of samples, then for example 256MB of memory is more then enough for sampling and the rest could be used in a much more productive way Smile
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
eperez

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: POLL: **THE OASYS SEQUENCER** and "Updates" Reply with quote

AnthonyB wrote:

Uh, amigo, while you are spendin your time lookin forward to some updates, KORG is doing something completely opposite - discontinuing OASYS rougly at the end of the year. I own also OASYS and I just find out about this some minutes ago from a friend that works for one instrument store here in Mexico and decide to write it instant. Offical explaining is something like no more chips or like that. I am afraid about the so-called "future OASYS development" after this, cause this would be one of the shortest life span product from KORG. I'm so sad now, it's weekend time and I should be relax and enjoy time with mia familia...
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: POLL: **THE OASYS SEQUENCER** and "Updates" Reply with quote

eperez wrote:

Uh, amigo, while you are spendin your time lookin forward to some updates, KORG is doing something completely opposite - discontinuing OASYS rougly at the end of the year. I own also OASYS and I just find out about this some minutes ago from a friend that works for one instrument store here in Mexico and decide to write it instant. Offical explaining is something like no more chips or like that. I am afraid about the so-called "future OASYS development" after this, cause this would be one of the shortest life span product from KORG. I'm so sad now, it's weekend time and I should be relax and enjoy time with mia familia...

OK, now this is an interesting turn of events. If this turns out to be true (and that's still a very big IF), I'll need some time to get a hold of myself and remove my jaw from the floor. And not in the "Jim-Carrey-sees-half-naked-Cameron-Diaz-in-"The Mask"" sort of way. Still, until Jerry/Dan/someone from Korg confirms this, it's just a rumour. Shocked Shocked
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
AnthonyB
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In THIS THREAD, Stephen kay said the following:

"""However, people should realize that changing the sequencer, the way people are talking about here, is a job that is many magnitudes greater than making a new EXi and slotting it in to the existing architecture. It doesn't really matter that Roland or Yamaha or CompanyX has such and such a thing, like a Piano Roll Editor - Korg doesn't at the moment. And, it's a totally different thing - engineers that are good at designing synth engines are not necessarily qualified to write sequencers, or edit the existing sequencer code-base. So if there are a bunch of engineers qualified to write a new synth engine, that's what they do, and Korg releases it - it's still driving further development""".

Now, I'm Just (for a minute) wondering if a major upgrade can be done **AT ALL**? (like 32 tracks Midi/Audio and so forth). Is the CPU (2.8 Ghz) powerful enough?, if so, would we have to compromise polyphony for the added tracks? - Both midi and Audio?. Cubase, for example will give you lots of Audio tracks, but a "slow" CPU will limit how many you can USE at one time (without crashing/drop-outs etc) So maybe 32 Audio tracks on the OASYS (especially running at the same time), may prove just too much.....

So then with All the wonderful sounds, EXi's, HD, CX3, 16 IFX (etc etc etc), I'm just wondering if the OASYS *CAN* actually take a Big Sequencer upgrade. I sure hope so, as I've just cast my vote (NO:1) - but maybe it's not korg being "lax", but not able to do the "undoable". For example, Windows XP can’t do DX10. I was just wondering if Korg *HAVE* had a look at the sequencer - and a possible upgrade; but consider it just "Too much".. and will just put up with us "wanters", "requests", "wishes"..... until we go away Wink

I understand what Stephen (kay) says. My brother is a semi-pro photographer, and knows Photoshop CS2 inside out. However, put a spread-sheet in front of him and he runs for cover. Shocked

AnthonyB

JOHN 3:16
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnthonyB wrote:

Now, I'm Just (for a minute) wondering if a major upgrade can be done **AT ALL**? (like 32 tracks Midi/Audio and so forth). Is the CPU (2.8 Ghz) powerful enough?, if so, would we have to compromise polyphony for the added tracks? - Both midi and Audio?. Cubase, for example will give you lots of Audio tracks, but a "slow" CPU will limit how many you can USE at one time (without crashing/drop-outs etc) So maybe 32 Audio tracks on the OASYS (especially running at the same time), may prove just too much.....
So then with All the wonderful sounds, EXi's, HD, CX3, 16 IFX (etc etc etc), I'm just wondering if the OASYS *CAN* actually take a Big Sequencer upgrade. I sure hope so, as I've just cast my vote (NO:1) - but maybe it's not korg being "lax", but not able to do the "undoable". For example, Windows XP can’t do DX10. I was just wondering if Korg *HAVE* had a look at the sequencer - and a possible upgrade; but consider it just "Too much".. and will just put up with us "wanters", "requests", "wishes"..... until we go away Crying or Very sad
AnthonyB

Implementing additional 16 Audio tracks seems rather radical to me, and maybe unnecessary, but that's just me. However, if KORG was to implement that, if you know the basics of computer architecture and how things work in this particular area, then it's pretty clear that it should be possible. The difference between 16 and 32 Audio tracks relates to difference between 16 and 32x180KB/s disc write speed plus some CPU/controller time which is relatively small. 16 MIDI tracks? Hm well... Personally I'd have no use of that, but well Smile

There are other missing SEQ features that seem much more important from users point of view. Let's see what happens.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: POLL: **THE OASYS SEQUENCER** and "Updates" Reply with quote

eperez wrote:
I just find out about this some minutes ago from a friend that works for one instrument store here in Mexico and decide to write it instant. Offical explaining is something like no more chips or like that. I am afraid about the so-called "future OASYS development" after this, cause this would be one of the shortest life span product from KORG. I'm so sad now, it's weekend time and I should be relax and enjoy time with mia familia...

Mexico ?
I'm even closer to Mexico than you, and I'm living in Ireland.
Remember, I can see your IP. Rolling Eyes

Sharp.
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: POLL: **THE OASYS SEQUENCER** and "Updates" Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:

Mexico ?
I'm even closer to Mexico than you, and I'm living in Ireland.
Remember, I can see your IP. Rolling Eyes
Sharp.

Good thing is that we're still in the "IF" zone... So whatever/whoever, I hope he's wrong. IP's can be faked, though Sad I'm constantly fighting spoofers, damn... Rolling Eyes
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Anthony

I was maturig to post a poll like this one, so its clear that we are so "many" on this boat. Wink

I can name a lot of reasons for voting YES to the ones I aready adressed in other topics, but to briefly resume:
The Oasys doesnt have the sequencer it deserves, and I think we ALL are agree at this poit, even if you use it or not.
Its the only deparment where the Oasys does not score as the rest of the keyboard do.

And hey, we are not asking a full Cubase system built in, what we ask is not to have, mostly, the same Sequencer from the 1995 Trinity series.

We just ask for a better implementation and use of features not present on it , and that we think are important to improve the workflow and the compositional work in a keyboard which claims to be a "Studio" environtmen and that Korg tells us that is an "Upgradable plattform".

We ask the adition of graphical editors, full program editing, better patern editing, more PPQ resolution, etc, etc, etc... just to name a few of the lots of thing to do to take the sequencer to its age and needs of a today workstation.

We ask for necessary things, things present in most of the hadware Sequencers out there nowdays, even feaures included in Workstations of other brands from years ago, that were already there for some time.

All We ask is to impove the sequencer, as well as other aspects of the keyboard are improving.
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've voted. I dont use the sequencer - i only used it once after Stephen Kay released a short and quick tutorial on it. That's the first time i have ever used a sequencer since buying synths from 1979.

For me the Oasys is not just a Workstation - I class it a SuperWorkstation. The M3, XS and Roland X are workstations. The SuperWorkstation cost us 2 or 3 times more than the Workstation. I think its fair to say that the processing power should also equate the cost.

I empathise with those who do not have this vital functionality added to the Oasys thats why I voted number 1.

Excuse my ignorance, but, what are these two Korg instruments - D32XD and D16XD? Are these like a sophistacted Sequencer? In the literature there is make mention of 96kHz/24bit res, 32 track playback - each track has 8 tracks giving 272 tracks - can this, like other hardware be ported into the O?

Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billysynth1 wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, but, what are these two Korg instruments - D32XD and D16XD? Are these like a sophistacted Sequencer? In the literature there is make mention of 96kHz/24bit res, 32 track playback - each track has 8 tracks giving 272 tracks - can this, like other hardware be ported into the O?

Those are Audio tracks. (I don't think there are any MIDI tracks on those).

I'm sure the OASYS' HD recorder has something in common with those. Since it is software, it can be updated to record 24 bit. (Hardware outputs are already that spec, but the audio recording and sample oscillators are 16 bit.)

Don't know if it will happen, but I would love to have it as an option.
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billysynth1 wrote:

Billy

Audio Recorders,Standalone DAWs ,no midi sequencing here,I own the D16XD its superb.great touchscreen makes audio editing a breeze(Even more a breeze than the Oasys),the Main differences between the 16 and 32,the 32 has 32 track capability,with up to 24 IFX/2 MFX/1Final FX Automation with moving faders

the 16 allows 11 FX(8 IFX/ 2 Master with 1 final)you have 4 band parametric EQ on every track plus a final master EQ and 16 track capability with Automation(but no moving faders),the only cosmetic difference is that the casing is a differetn colour and the D16 has a dedicated pan Knob for each track where asthe 32 doesn't,to use them they are the same OS internally,great as a digital Mixer(up to 16 Ins with the extra analog input board and also 16 channels of compression on the Input stage if you have the Optional compressor board along with the AIB8

there is 8 Virtual tracks per track(272 in D32/128 in D16)there is also a stereo master track which is used for mixdowns which also has 8 virtual tracks so you can do several different Final mixdowns if you have the optional expansion boards you will have up to 48 track Mixdown on the 32 and 32 track mixdown on the 16

Obviously the units both support 96Khz 24 bit,but take into account that at those rates your final track recording count and FX will be reduced accordingly You can use them up to 16 Bit/48KHZ with no loss of FX and tracks,over that and you have to compensate track count for Audio bit depth etc,as you would expect,I've never utilised them at that any better rate anyway and tend to record mostly in 48Khz 16 Bit,as I have the D16 sample rate to match the output of the Adat connection on my Yamaha 02R Mixer

The Oasys HDRis based slightly on the D16XD,but in everyday usage it doesn't have a patch on the D16/32 interface

I'm sure Korg have discontinued them both now..they seem to splash in and out so Quickly,I don't think thye really made much of an impact,but I never understood why if your into a hardware DAW they are great
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: