Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

POLL: **THE OASYS SEQUENCER** and "Updates"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is The Sequencer in **NEED** of an update/Overhaul?
1. Definitley YES - Vital in fact for music "flow"
52%
 52%  [ 37 ]
2. Yes but not actually "Vital" - but still important, however
12%
 12%  [ 9 ]
3. Yes, but in "korgs" own time - no real rush
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
4. No, EXi's/EXF etc are more important to me
23%
 23%  [ 17 ]
5.I use external Sequencer, so definitly no
8%
 8%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 71

JamieC5361

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: sequencer Reply with quote

I must be a rare person here, but I find the internal sequencer on the Oasys to be just fine. I did come from a Cubase background and missed the piano roll. However, I have taken the time to learn the Oasys sequencer. There are many ins and outs of it and tricks I have learned for editing, but it really works! Sometimes amazingly well.

Regards
Charlie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure - its possible and I did a similar thing - you can get to the next town in a car without air condition, ABS, ESP, safety belt etc. - still, once these things became standard and you buy a top of the range car one would expect at least some of these features in his new Ferrari. Wink
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Oasys sequencer is great in many ways ... it's fabulous when you're just playing and want to instantly record what you're doing. It's very quick for laying down a number of parts and seeing how they work together and capturing Karma performances. It's quick to work with because of the touch screen and I really like the individual MIDI track looping feature too. It's when you make a small mistake in an other wise perfect take and re-recording it is not the best option, that the editor really lets the side down totally. Or when you want to rearrange things, that I find myself getting very stuck and resorting to pen and paper or just exporting the piece to external sequencer and then going from there.

It doesn't need a total rewrite, it just needs a couple of added features and consolidation of what's there in my opinion. It would be a good start. I think Sharp's comments totally mirror that. He uses it a great deal and should know Wink

Daz.
Drew FM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: POLL: **THE OASYS SEQUENCER** and "Updates" Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
eperez wrote:
I just find out about this some minutes ago from a friend that works for one instrument store here in Mexico and decide to write it instant. Offical explaining is something like no more chips or like that. I am afraid about the so-called "future OASYS development" after this, cause this would be one of the shortest life span product from KORG. I'm so sad now, it's weekend time and I should be relax and enjoy time with mia familia...

Mexico ?
I'm even closer to Mexico than you, and I'm living in Ireland.
Remember, I can see your IP. Rolling Eyes

Sharp.

Cool Busted amigo!
imusic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: OASYS sequencer Reply with quote

I like the sequencer, ... Cool

I do not need pianorolls and so on. If-I go on a computer,... sometimes it would make sense to learn how to play Embarassed !

best, imusic
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: POLL: **THE OASYS SEQUENCER** and "Updates" Reply with quote

eperez wrote:
Uh, amigo, while you are spendin your time lookin forward to some updates, KORG is doing something completely opposite - discontinuing OASYS rougly at the end of the year. I own also OASYS and I just find out about this some minutes ago from a friend that works for one instrument store here in Mexico and decide to write it instant. Offical explaining is something like no more chips or like that. I am afraid about the so-called "future OASYS development" after this, cause this would be one of the shortest life span product from KORG.

Salesmen at music stores often have many fine qualities, and much wisdom to offer their clients. That said, they will, as a rule, have absolutely no inside knowledge of a manufacturer's business.

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: POLL: **THE OASYS SEQUENCER** and "Updates" Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
eperez wrote:
I just find out about this some minutes ago from a friend that works for one instrument store here in Mexico and decide to write it instant. Offical explaining is something like no more chips or like that. I am afraid about the so-called "future OASYS development" after this, cause this would be one of the shortest life span product from KORG. I'm so sad now, it's weekend time and I should be relax and enjoy time with mia familia...

Mexico ?

Sharp.

Ah - I posted before reading Sharp's response....
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Carbon111

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I use a software sequencer for recording, I'd certainly use the onboard one instead, especially for sketches, if it was a bit more ergonomic! That screen begs for something thats a "better fit" Wink

"We've got Baileys and everything we need.
Mmmm, creamy." - Old Gregg
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst the results thus far don't represent all 4000 users, they still say something interesting.

Anyways ... how many of you bought the Oasys thinking that the sequencer might actually be changed ? Obviously we all knew about EXi, EXs and EXf ... but there was never any mention of EXseq Smile Do you still think that it will change ?

I must confess that I bought the Oasys despite my concerns about the inability to edit Programs whilst working, thinking that I could work around this obstacle and that maybe it would be addressed in a software update. I didn't *assume* it would be changed I have to say, but I did hope that one day pressing "Function + Program" would let you unleash the instrument to it's full potential.

My current thinking/speculation, especially after seeing the M3, is that the move away from the Trinity/Triton working environment is evidently not going to happen 'til the next round of Korg products. That could be a a few years ! This round was all about re-vamping synth engines and the integration of KARMA into the mainstream instruments.

Maybe the time has come to redirect our efforts & time from constantly repeating our concerns (I am the worst at that I know!) about the working environment of the Oasys, to trying to help each other better understand how to get past some of the obstacles and get the most out of what is there. It would be great to see some ten page long threads about that Smile

Daz.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Daz.
Yep, I'm down with this idea 100%, and I'll make an effort to come up with something worth posting.

Regards.
Sharp.
eperez

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: POLL: **THE OASYS SEQUENCER** and "Updates" Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
eperez wrote:

Mexico ?

Sharp.

Hello mr.Sharp,
I always use different computer and network address to access different web stuff. So, you can check clearly see that my IP is all different now. But that is outside the point. What, are you going to give my details to Korg people, is that why you have forum? Especially because I'm typing what is the truth. OASYS is going to be discontinnued end of year come close. Sorry to disappoint you. KORG people are just not ready to admit it now. They will.
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz wrote:
Whilst the results thus far don't represent all 4000 users, they still say something interesting.

Anyways ... how many of you bought the Oasys thinking that the sequencer might actually be changed ? Obviously we all knew about EXi, EXs and EXf ... but there was never any mention of EXseq Smile Do you still think that it will change ?

I must confess that I bought the Oasys despite my concerns about the inability to edit Programs whilst working, thinking that I could work around this obstacle and that maybe it would be addressed in a software update. I didn't *assume* it would be changed I have to say, but I did hope that one day pressing "Function + Program" would let you unleash the instrument to it's full potential.

My current thinking/speculation, especially after seeing the M3, is that the move away from the Trinity/Triton working environment is evidently not going to happen 'til the next round of Korg products. That could be a a few years ! This round was all about re-vamping synth engines and the integration of KARMA into the mainstream instruments.

Maybe the time has come to redirect our efforts & time from constantly repeating our concerns (I am the worst at that I know!) about the working environment of the Oasys, to trying to help each other better understand how to get past some of the obstacles and get the most out of what is there. It would be great to see some ten page long threads about that Smile

Daz.

I suspect that many of us(Including me)have come from the Trinity>Triton progression,so in essence the Sequencer was not that really important anyway seeing as it works in the same way I guess that nobody thought about the limitations of it,when they bought it seeing as they would take to it anyway and be used to the environment,I never really thought about Korg progressing on the Sequencer and bought the Oasys more for its sound capabilities and expansion abilities,I'll admit that a few months down the line and no whispers form the Korg camp am feeling a little deflated with having to pay so much for the O only to still be no more advanced with my sequencing abilities and still have to rely on outsource sequencers,however in that limitation I have also found a great platfrom to work with(Roland MV8800)and for all the Oasys shortcomings I have worried whether Korg will work or upgrade the sequencer,if they do then fair enough,I want to see the next step towards the sounds availible for the Oasys.

To me its too far gone to be able to make any real significant difference to the Oasys seq,and this would need to be stripped and rebuilt from the ground up to make any real decent impact,sadly I don't think the engineers come from the train of thought for people like me and there working methods,so no matter what they do,it still won't fit the bill,and thats fine,I've come to realise that theres more important aspects to the Oasys,but that said Open architecture doesn't just mean the Sounds are expandable,Surely though Korg had they any intentions of releasing a super charged sequencer would have done it from the onset of the Oasys and set the Music world and the Workstation standard on fire,after all its basically a Rolls Royce car with a Mini cooper Gearbox,until those radical changes are made,it will still remain the most expensive Sound Module I have ever bought!
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: POLL: **THE OASYS SEQUENCER** and "Updates" Reply with quote

eperez wrote:
Sharp wrote:
eperez wrote:

Mexico ?

Sharp.

Hello mr.Sharp,
I always use different computer and network address to access different web stuff. So, you can check clearly see that my IP is all different now. But that is outside the point. What, are you going to give my details to Korg people, is that why you have forum? Especially because I'm typing what is the truth. OASYS is going to be discontinnued end of year come close. Sorry to disappoint you. KORG people are just not ready to admit it now. They will.

If Korg want to stop Production of the Oasys for lack of components,why would that affetct the software developments???the Hardware is obsolete the day it leaves the factory unless it has ports developed for such expansion options,but even so they are still limited,but the software isn't!!!
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: POLL: **THE OASYS SEQUENCER** and "Updates" Reply with quote

Kontrol49 wrote:
duction of the Oasys for lack of components,why would that affetct the software developments???

I am totally with K49 on that ... I am sure they would want to continue to sell us software in order to make money from the existing customer base Smile We're effectively paying for the R&D of the next generation of Korg instruments ... in part at least. If they stopped making them at the end of the year, that still amounts to a big stack of them in a warehouse somewhere ready to be bought by customers. So even if it's true, it's not overly worrying. Maybe they'll make a second revision using different components, who knows. It's a little early to start worrying about this in my opinion.

Hopefully the download that Dan mentioned will be available in the not too distant future and we'll get a reminder of just how much attention has been put into the big O. Oh yes Wink

Daz.
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi lads.

A little off topic to what it is being dicussed now in this thread, but, ...
Just take a look to the composition Vadim has done in the M3 section:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25648&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

This is what we all would like to see added alonside the event edit features on the Oasys.
Nice efort, dude Smile

Quote:

At least something like this would be much apreciated, since OASYS is a touch screen, and if OASYS had a sequencer as software does, it would definatly beat all software, imagine how easy it would be to use key edit and alike with a touch screen and buttons, opposed to a mouse...

come on, KORG....

Angel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: