Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Combi or Mixing??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg X-50 / microX
View previous topic :: View next topic  
damiana

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Combi or Mixing?? Reply with quote

I may not be using the right words here but I know that my x50 has the potential to say "use the right side of keys for a keyboard patch", "but then use the left side of keys for some dreamy pad, sring, or whatever.."

Can someone tell me if this is difficult to do and can I do it through the editor software, or do I have to do it manually on the keyboard itself?

Thanks again!
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The software only allows you to do things which you can do on the keyboard itself anyway. So you can choose to do either - depends what you prefer.

I personally prefer working on the keyboard as it takes a little of the complication out (of understanding how to transfer patches between etc), and can sit there and play the sound as I develop it. However you might be more comfortable seeing all the parameters laid out in front of you and tweaking with a mouse. It's up to you.

Its also fairly easy. You need to be in Combi mode. What you want to do in some other performance-orientated keyboards is called a 'split'.
There is no simple 'split' feature in Korg's workstations because they have an incredibly more powerful feature for it.

Each 'timbre' (program) in a combi has a key zone. That is, the range of keys it responds to. so you could easily set two timbres on the same MIDI channel, mixed to the same output, but have one respond up to middle C, and then have the keys after middle C play the 2nd timbre.
The reason this is more powerful is because if you wanted to you could even have them overlap, or fade across the keys between them, or even leave a gap or have another timbre/instrument in the middle.
And then you could add in a pad that still responds the same across the whole keyboard on top of/'underneath' that.

The only limitation in the X50 is with transfering program sounds effectively into Combi mode. You can get it done somewhat, but you can't copy all of the effects are used on both programs, you only have one FX chain. So depending on how happy you are with the 'dry' sound, you may want to tweak around with the effects.

But for example if one sound has a phaser insert effect and one sound has a distortion insert effect, you could only choose one of those to work. Not entirely true because you have 'master' send effects and you could put the phaser on there, in place of a delay or reverb or chorus or something... But that'd require more programming.
The fact that there is only one insert effect is one of things they did to make the X50, TR, LE, and MicroX cheaper than the full-on triton products.

Give it a try anyway and see how far you get.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg X-50 / microX All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: