Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the Kurzweil PC3 a M3 Killer?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will simply never understand the fascination with Kurzweil for PCM based sounds. Any time I listen to a demo on their webiste, it's like a trip back to the 80's.

The only thing that really stands out is the Piano, but now days you have all sorts of sample libraries and hardware that FAR exceed that sound in detail and quality.

If you want a good piano, buy Pianoteq.

Sharp.
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
I will simply never understand the fascination with Kurzweil for PCM based sounds. Any time I listen to a demo on their webiste, it's like a trip back to the 80's.
The only thing that really stands out is the Piano, but now days you have all sorts of sample libraries and hardware that FAR exceed that sound in detail and quality.
Sharp.

That's precisely the reason why we tried to start that other thread Smile I still have no idea what kind of sample libraries or whatever to use for strings, some orchestral stuff...Smile
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vEddY wrote:
Sharp wrote:
Sharp.

That's precisely the reason why we tried to start that other thread Smile I still have no idea what kind of sample libraries or whatever to use for strings, some orchestral stuff...Smile

Yeah for many it's actually a never ending search, but thankfully I've found a balance. I now just need to PC power to run it all.

So... after many many years of searching and an AKAI Library like no other, here's where I am right now.

For Piano sounds, I've stopped using sample libraries now, and I only use Pianteq. http://www.pianoteq.com/

It's modelling technology, so the level of control you have far exceeds any sample library. Pianoteq also recreate replicas of classic Piano's and give you these models for free too. So, I can play the best, or I can make my own.

Anyway... it's a super real sound.
For Brass, as in real live brass and not orchestral.
I use Brass Smile
http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/products/brass/intro.html

Again it's modelling technology, and so it's hyper realistic. The demo's on their website say it all. The only downfall is... these guys completely suck to death for tech support. If you buy, then buy with the intentions of sorting out any problems you may have all on your own. They have a ticket system in place for support and they ignore it, as well as email.
For Orchestral sounds, after countless AKAI Libraries I've finally settled on...
http://www.soundsonline.com/EWQLSO-Platinum-Bundle-pr-EW-155PROB1.html

The sounds are fantastic, and I'm very excited about this purchase. I'm just having problems in getting it running since VISTA is currently not supported, will be soon, but I'll eventually have to build an XP machine anyway to run this library.
For Choir sounds, I use two libraries.
The first one is....Symphony Of Voices.
http://www.spectrasonics.net/libraries/symphonyvoices.php

It's freaking amazing. !!!!!!!. Listen to the demos and see for yourself. No point in me saying anything more than that !!!!.

And the second title is..... Symphonic Choirs.
http://www.soundsonline.com/product.php?productid=EW-165

The World Builder progarm allows you to type in worlds, and the choir will sing what you typed to the notes you play. Way cool !!!!. Again, the demo's say it all.

And that's where I am today. After I build the PC to run EWQLSO, I'll finally have all I need that suites my budget.

Added to all that above though, I do have a small selection of choice sounds taken from my AKAI library that I've built up over the years, but there's nothing really major in there. And I also have my own sounds which I simply couldn't do without.

Regards.
Sharp.
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Sharp, I think I have an answer for you:
Kurzweil sounds appears in many recording out there, from dream theater to pink floyd and many film tracks, so many of us who listen to those bands and music has those sounds in our brains. The kurzweil sound is very particular and if you feel you need those sounds I can assure you that you can't emulate them with soft synth, synth or workstations... so the only way is to have a kurzweil... I think it's just a matter of taste. Anyway, I have tried many keyboards and I own some big ones like motif rack ES, Triton and a virus b... I'm not talking about emulation of sounds here but the audio quality that comes from those instruments and the kurzweil is simply the best over them all due to the fact that you don't have hiss like on the virus, you don't have that damn vibrato on acoustic sounds like on the motif and you don't have bad loops like on the triton samples (listen to some triton sax...). Then consider the "master" capability of the kurzweil and you can see that it's simply perfect as a controller... and last but not least VAST lets you to create or edit sounds in ways that no other OS do.
Regards, Lorenzo
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lorenzo.

I don't think anything could make me change my mind. It's very simple for me, I listen to the orchestral demos on the Kurzweil website, and I hear a crap fake sound that's like a throw back to the 80's.

However.... That's where my opinion on how crap Kurzweil are stops. VAST gets my respect and I bow my head and say... freaking cool man.

This just leaves me with two problems.

1: All the real world PCM data is pointless it's so dated do to the very limited ROM.
2: Kurzweil sound designers suck a programming VAST. It's only when I hear some end user programming am I completely blown away.

Compared to an OASYS, they are light years behind with their 32MB Rom, 48note Poly, and so on....Smile

Regards.
Sharp,
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Hi Lorenzo.

I don't think anything could make me change my mind. It's very simple for me, I listen to the orchestral demos on the Kurzweil website.

Really!? I know this is subjective, but I really think that orchestral sounds (not acoustic like bass and guitars where ie the motif sounds simply perfect) are really cool... eh eh eh maybe this is cos I like 80's music!
the mp3 on their site aren't that good maybe this one... ftp://ftp.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/pub/Kurzweil/Audio_Demos/MP3/Orchestral_ROM/BLOKBUST.mp3 but it still sounds fake. Those demo are really different from the real thing though (anyway I remember that you tried a k2661 in the past and didn't like it)
Sharp wrote:

2: Kurzweil sound designers suck a programming VAST. It's only when I hear some end user programming am I completely blown away.

this is a real problem cos I think they made vast too complex... ok you can achieve everything you want with it but it requires a really great synth knowledge and so I came to the same conclusion, people at kurzweil gave decided to give us a full and complete OS and synth engine only knowing some math cos there aren't good preset except for some sounds. So they don't invest money on good programmers like you saied... it's a pity.
Sharp wrote:

Compared to an OASYS, they are light years behind with their 32MB Rom, 48note Poly, and so on....Smile

remember that a k2661 costs "only" 1990 euros here in Italy so (even if I can't understand why the k2600 costs so much) you can't compare the two machines...
Regards, Lorenzo
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this reply by Sharp belongs to the "Classic" section Smile And/or to the other thread we started... Smile That's what we call "taking a time to produce a great answer to a question" Smile
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ClayMan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear All,

I found this a very interesting thread as I am one of these users who has had a battery of older synths in the stable to use at one time or another. Never-the-less, this thread is titled "PC3 - M3 killer?".
I really appreciate Lorenzo's balanced approach to the whole thing as he seems to have thought out and played out the answers here the best. This thread could probably argued infinitem, but the poster who noted that beauty is in the eyes (ears) of the beholder (listener) probably stated the most pertinent point. It's true that a real comparison between the PC3 and the M3 can't be done until the PC3 graces the public's ears. Still, based on past performance of Kurz K2XX's and what the M3 has shown to present, the following can be stated:

1) Sounds: The M3 has sampling which the PC3 does not. It also has Radias. Radias however is an option. The PC3 has a two compartment VAST setup (the previous K2600/K2661 had three compartment VAST i.e. TMP), advanced KB3, KFM, and the solid hint of VA1 oscillators. I have used a K2000R and an 01/W pro. The 01/W has some hallmark sounds, but the K2000, as old as it was, could blow it away for pure sound capability. Radias is good, but not on a level with VAST and all it's permutations. I know that the way a synth sounds is very subjective, but it seems (and I've even seen this comment in many other threads) that the Kurz is appreciated for it's sounds long after it has been purchased/explored unlike many other keyboards which now seem to exhibit the "flash in the pan/flavor of the moment" syndrome.

2) Programs, Combinations, & Setups: The M3 keeps it's structure of Programs and Combinations intact. It can control 16 internal and/or 16 external instruments (the previous Korg units could only do 8 unless they were sequencing). The Kurz units can only do 8 in a setup and the number of Programs/Combis is much greater in the M3 than the Programs/Setups in the PC3. However, the Setups in the Kurz are capable of much more in terms of live control than in the Korg; especially when considering the solo/mute/layer capabilites of the Kurz. Nothing short of the Ensoniq even comes close.

3) External control/Sequencing/Phrase Triggering: This area seems to go to the M3 since it has KARMA (although KARMA is better for self-gratification, and not used in live work very much), it's KAOSS pad screen, and it's superior phrase-triggering for live work (at least superior to Kurz's "arranger" function in usage/eloquence. The Kurz still has a superior live interface with an option for a nice ribbon controller, and a quad-arpeggiator which would be easier to use in live-performance than KARMA.

4) Lastly, Effects: There is no doubt here. From the standpoint of ease of use, the Korg effects have always had that nod, but from the standpoint of superior sound, KDFX will unequivocally blow Korg's effects out of the water. If the PC3 manages to make a new effects unit (similar in power to the KSP8) easier to program than the KDFX on previous K2XX units, Kurzweil will win this hands down.

I started this reply not to show one of these units as better than the other, but illuminate the obvious differences. It is not as clear-cut as saying the M3 would be better in the studio while the PC3 would be better in a live situation though there is maybe a little truth to that. Still, if you survey the most prolific 200 big time, live stage players out there, (and I'm not talking about those who are paid to use a certain product), you will find that the Kurzweils are the platform of choice. Beyond all this (sorry if I'm a little windy), you decide. I like both companies, they both make great products (for the most part), but if it boils down to one, I HAVE DECIDED.

Cheers,

ClayMan
jaedeal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I endorse Korg so I'll just say "I have a friend that loves Kurzweils !"
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaedeal wrote:
I endorse Korg so I'll just say "I have a friend that loves Kurzweils !"
Laughing
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Hi Lorenzo.
I don't think anything could make me change my mind. It's very simple for me, I listen to the orchestral demos on the Kurzweil website, and I hear a crap fake sound that's like a throw back to the 80's.

Again it's modelling technology, and so it's hyper realistic. The demo's on their website say it all. The only downfall is... these guys completely suck to death for tech support. If you buy, then buy with the intentions of sorting out any problems you may have all on your own. They have a ticket system in place for support and they ignore it, as well as email.
For Orchestral sounds, after countless AKAI Libraries I've finally settled on...
http://www.soundsonline.com/EWQLSO-Platinum-Bundle-pr-EW-155PROB1.html
Regards.
Sharp,

Hey Sharp,

I've been checking out these demoes of Arturia's BRASS and it really sounds pretty damn good.. Earth Brass Fire.. haha Smile Like listening Earth, Wind and Fire again Smile But I can't say that saxes sound all that impressive.. trumpets are really good. What about flutes, oboes, clarinet? Don't make me go play clarinet again, I'd prefer to leave that in the attic called "secondary music school" Smile

As far as EWQLSO Platinum bundle is concerned, it really sounds fantastic. Those things are sampled and the library is over 100GB, so it's no surprise that it sounds so damn good. Hmm. It's time to ask for a V8 system with 32+GB of memory, I guess. I was wondering if anyone here knows of any VST plugin/instrument that can produce realistic orchestral sounds Smile

Cheers,
vEddY.
keego

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had quite a few korgs N364.Trinity, Triton and still have my TS. I was considering (and still am) of upgrading to an M3 (OASYS out of my price range). I recentley bought a used K2500 with ROMS and have to say that the sounds are the best I have heard. Now I am thinking K2600 or PC3X instead of M3.

If only we had Kurz sounds with Korg Touchscreen interface. Now that would be a dream Wink
Megakazbek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:

The PC3 is nothing more than a somewhat "scaled-down" K2600XS, with the addition of USB, SmartMedia with some of the VA1 Prototype Architecture as I've heard. .

That's actually wrong. PC3 is not "scaled-down" K2600, it's actually a huge step forward from K2600 (except the sampling/sample RAM which PC3 won't have). It will have expanded VAST with much more possibilities than K2600 (more blocks per layer, you can construct your own algorhytms, the "triple mode" is not only present but vastly expanded from 3 layers to all 32 layers, many useful new blocks for VA and FM synthesis, improved KB3 mode, etc, etc). On PC3 it is actually possible to emulate (or get very close) architecture of all OASYS synthesis engines except the physical modeling (but including the latest MOD-7). M3 engine is virtually nothing compared to PC3.
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

please link us where you found those news refered to vast on the pc3, cos I read everywhere that VAST will be limited on that machine, and not expanded.
Regards, Lorenzo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: