Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the Kurzweil PC3 a M3 Killer?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megakazbek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorenzo wrote:
please link us where you found those news refered to vast on the pc3, cos I read everywhere that VAST will be limited on that machine, and not expanded.
Regards, Lorenzo

Check out this topic on Sonikmatter forums
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! this is really a GREAT news! I always read that the pc3 didn't have full vast capability... now I know what I'm saving money for! eh eh eh!
Thanx, Lorenzo
p.s. oh, and yes... if so (and if kurzweil will release the pc3... well it will be not only the m3 killer but any other workstation too... )
RANTARAVE

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyronediggs wrote:
Nedim wrote:
Jazzman you are right, at my days all i knew was CASIO CZ-101.
And TV does that, first of all he doesnt know that 80% of the guys
on TV SHOWS dont even play those synths, the synths are OFF,
second, they are free, given to them from the companies just for
advertisement, so guys like YOU can be decieved...why? Cuz JORDAN
RUDDES or someone else plays KURZ or KORG or whatever and it must
be good, no, WRONG! And after the CASIO CZ-101 now i have synths
that TYRONE has probably never heard of:
ARP 2600 (to me probably more worth then 3 KORG OASYS)
Futuretro 777 (wont give it for a KORG M3)
Oberheim MATRIX1000
and hey i have a KORG that you havent heard of too, i have a KORG MS20
and i wont give that for a KORG RADIAS either... Very Happy

As for you TYRONE i own 14 synths right now, at this moment 7 of them
are KORG, still think i hate KORG?

To be honest I'm not really a hardware keyboard type of guy, we got a M3 and a Fantom in the studio (and some MPCs) and thats about it, so I guess you have more keyboards than me.....

Now you say you got 14 sythns and that I don't know s***, blah blah blah.

You sound like one of those grumpy old guys who is kind of stuck in the past. I hate to say this, but most guys in the game now don't really rely on keyboards for all their sounds, we mainly use keyboards for sketching ideas and as a midi controller.

Almost all the hip-hop/pop/electronic/R&B cats I know use softsynths with Logic/Pro Tools.

The 14+ keyboards you mentioned you own. I could probably reproduce all those sounds using the softsynths included with Reason and Logic Pro.

Do your keyboards have the capabilities or sound shaping possibilities of Logic Pro's Sculpture or Native Instruments Reaktor? I don't think so.......

edit: In fact Korg and Arturia actually sell software vst versions of ARP 2600 and the MS20 for like 150 bucks a piece. Now how much did you pay for those? Wink I would guess considerably more.

LOL OMG and i am 14 and i knnow that

1.rap music is a joke
2.It's impossible to play live using only softsynths its even hard with receptor
3.There is no way you can replicate the sound of a hard synth because you will never get the analog crunch/noise
4.All you need to produce hip hop is ABsynth
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyronediggs wrote:
Nedim wrote:
Waaaooouuuwww...you are very smart KID, once you mentioned HIPHOP
you said it all, but hey you made my day, thanks... Very Happy

ok then, since you are talking all this s***, I am going to expose you........ why don't you post like a 30 second clip of something using one of your fav keyboards, and then I'll post something that will sound infinitely better than your stuff - actions speak louder than words. Smile

I'm still waiting for the sound... if you missed the link:
http://logo80.homeip.net/userspaces/irishacts/a.mp3
com'on, you searched for this challenge and now we can't see you anymore? too much work? ehi, it's only a pad.
regards, Lorenzo
Kerzwhile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EJ2 wrote:
Nedim wrote:
And as for you Lorenzo, you said it good just to correct you a little.
The K Series have superior popyphony to M3, as far as the PC3 maybe
3 M3s will have the polyphony of one PC3...ever heard of TRUE POLYPHONY?
KORG always say 128 but its never 128. The PA800 i think is 124,
the TEX i dont even know exactly, i read somewhere but its not 128.
Forget what the manual and advertisement say.

Me thinks you are mistaken. If you check Korg USA's M3 pages http://www.korg.com/gear/prod_info.asp?A_PROD_NO=M3 you can read that maximum polyphony is stated as 120 voices. Kurzweil's K series pages state 48 voices. So, how can 48 voices be superior to 120 ??? Rolling Eyes

I realize that this from a couple pages back but, You people must realize that Kurzweil does not look at polyphony that way ever other company does!! 48 notes on the K series yes but thay are dynamically allocated as Lorenzo mentioned. OK how many oscilators does the M3 have??? Last time I checked My K2600 has 192. If an oscilator can make a sound, what would the polyphony of the K be then if we are using the "typical" measurement of Polyphony?? I will say thge PC3 wil;l be a very interesting product IF and ONLY IF Kurzweil doesn't screw up the marketing of it!! Evil or Very Mad
MY Weapons of choice: K2600X, Oasys88, PC3X, K2661, V-Synth, MotifESR, ZR-76, TS-12, VFX, EPS16+,ESQ-1, ESQ-1R, Emu Xtreme Lead, SCI Six Trak, HR-16, Kurzweil Mark 150 Baby Grand and 2 D1600's synced!!!
http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=kerzwhile
Megakazbek

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, the topic is about PC3 vs M3, not K26xx vs M3, and PC3 has 128 voices which is more than M3, and taking in account Kurzweil's sophisticated voice stealing algorhytms, 128 Kurzweil voices is MUCH more than 120 Korg voices.
Kerzwhile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megakazbek wrote:
Anyway, the topic is about PC3 vs M3, not K26xx vs M3, and PC3 has 128 voices which is more than M3, and taking in account Kurzweil's sophisticated voice stealing algorhytms, 128 Kurzweil voices is MUCH more than 120 Korg voices.

AMEN!!! Hey buy both, they are very diff. machines and would compliment each other nicely!! Wink
MY Weapons of choice: K2600X, Oasys88, PC3X, K2661, V-Synth, MotifESR, ZR-76, TS-12, VFX, EPS16+,ESQ-1, ESQ-1R, Emu Xtreme Lead, SCI Six Trak, HR-16, Kurzweil Mark 150 Baby Grand and 2 D1600's synced!!!
http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=kerzwhile
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerzwhile wrote:
I will say thge PC3 wil;l be a very interesting product IF and ONLY IF Kurzweil doesn't screw up the marketing of it!! Evil or Very Mad

Very good observation, hehe, they've been known to screw things up in the past. On more then one occasion. And they've been so unbeliveably late with this product...
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
tyronediggs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RANTARAVE wrote:
tyronediggs wrote:
Nedim wrote:
Jazzman you are right, at my days all i knew was CASIO CZ-101.
And TV does that, first of all he doesnt know that 80% of the guys
on TV SHOWS dont even play those synths, the synths are OFF,
second, they are free, given to them from the companies just for
advertisement, so guys like YOU can be decieved...why? Cuz JORDAN
RUDDES or someone else plays KURZ or KORG or whatever and it must
be good, no, WRONG! And after the CASIO CZ-101 now i have synths
that TYRONE has probably never heard of:
ARP 2600 (to me probably more worth then 3 KORG OASYS)
Futuretro 777 (wont give it for a KORG M3)
Oberheim MATRIX1000
and hey i have a KORG that you havent heard of too, i have a KORG MS20
and i wont give that for a KORG RADIAS either... Very Happy

As for you TYRONE i own 14 synths right now, at this moment 7 of them
are KORG, still think i hate KORG?

To be honest I'm not really a hardware keyboard type of guy, we got a M3 and a Fantom in the studio (and some MPCs) and thats about it, so I guess you have more keyboards than me.....

Now you say you got 14 sythns and that I don't know s***, blah blah blah.

You sound like one of those grumpy old guys who is kind of stuck in the past. I hate to say this, but most guys in the game now don't really rely on keyboards for all their sounds, we mainly use keyboards for sketching ideas and as a midi controller.

Almost all the hip-hop/pop/electronic/R&B cats I know use softsynths with Logic/Pro Tools.

The 14+ keyboards you mentioned you own. I could probably reproduce all those sounds using the softsynths included with Reason and Logic Pro.

Do your keyboards have the capabilities or sound shaping possibilities of Logic Pro's Sculpture or Native Instruments Reaktor? I don't think so.......

edit: In fact Korg and Arturia actually sell software vst versions of ARP 2600 and the MS20 for like 150 bucks a piece. Now how much did you pay for those? Wink I would guess considerably more.

LOL OMG and i am 14 and i knnow that

1.rap music is a joke
2.It's impossible to play live using only softsynths its even hard with receptor
3.There is no way you can replicate the sound of a hard synth because you will never get the analog crunch/noise
4.All you need to produce hip hop is ABsynth

Are u high or something, I don't know anyone that uses (the gothic sounding) Absynth in hip-hop! And who cares about the analog crunch sound, its not going to be noticeable in a mix.
tyronediggs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorenzo wrote:
tyronediggs wrote:
Nedim wrote:
Waaaooouuuwww...you are very smart KID, once you mentioned HIPHOP
you said it all, but hey you made my day, thanks... Very Happy

ok then, since you are talking all this s***, I am going to expose you........ why don't you post like a 30 second clip of something using one of your fav keyboards, and then I'll post something that will sound infinitely better than your stuff - actions speak louder than words. Smile

I'm still waiting for the sound... if you missed the link:
http://logo80.homeip.net/userspaces/irishacts/a.mp3
com'on, you searched for this challenge and now we can't see you anymore? too much work? ehi, it's only a pad.
regards, Lorenzo

Its just a simple layed bread and butter pad sound, no?
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it is... just try to simulate it with any soft synth... if this is so easy I'll try with something more difficult...
regards, Lorenzo
spinoria

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got to defend Kurzweil here.... I really love the K-series. Shure there a bit outdated and maybe the PC3 will miss the VAST capabilities but....
I bet when you compare the piano sounds, rhodes and wurlitzer sounds from Kurzweil they will sound much better than the M3, Oasys, Fantom and Motif XS. Also the Orchestra sounds in Kurzweil synths is amazing.

Anyway I think it's hard to decide a winner. Kurzweil have some pros and cons and so has the M3.

Sorry to say I'm little bit disappointed with both the M3 and the Kurzweil PC3X. Both has some major disadvantages but when the M4 and K3000 comes there will be very hard to decide which one to buy....

If the M4 has a good working Korg Komponent System that can be expanded in a good way I'll go for that one.
If Kurzweil can make a K3000 that weighs under 25 kg and is not as big as a space shuttle I go for that one.

My list of pros and cons
- K2500X Pros
--Piano sounds
--Orchestra sounds
--Synth sounds
--Synth engine
--Sampling / sample player
-- 8 sliders

-K2500X Cons
-- Weight (It's just to big to move)
--Old (even the K2600 is old)

M3 pros
-- The component system, bring the whole s**t or just the module
-- New sound engine (at least if you listen to Korg marketing department)
-- Kaoss pad in the touch screen. Really cool.
-- Pads and 8 sliders

M3 cons
-- Expansions - This solution for expansion sucks.
-- Loading expansions sample waveforms in the sample ram. Stupid.
-- Not enough sounds
-- Slow in changing sounds
-- Velocity curves

Anyone wants to sell a triton extreme 76 key to me?
Novation Ultranova, Korg M3 73, Korg Triton Extreme 76, Korg Poly 800 MK2, Korg Kaossilator, Korg Trident MK1, Nord Electro 3, Kurzweil PC3X, Kurzweil K2500X, Virus TI 61 , Alesis Micron, Kurzweil K2000, Kurzweil K2500R, Yamaha SK20, Hammond C3+ Leslie R22, PC running Brainspawn Forte with EMU Soundcard + IK Multimedia Sampletank 2.0 + Sonik Synth + Miroslav Philharmonik, Logic Mainstage Smile
spinoria

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: VST Synths Live Reply with quote

Just a tips for those of you that plays live and want to bring you VST's on the road.
Skip the receptor....

Go for Forte Brainspawn. It's VST synth rack made just for live gigs with VST synths. It's really good and a new version is waiting around the corner.

It also has a module (Ehco) for controlling your hardware synths as your M3.
Novation Ultranova, Korg M3 73, Korg Triton Extreme 76, Korg Poly 800 MK2, Korg Kaossilator, Korg Trident MK1, Nord Electro 3, Kurzweil PC3X, Kurzweil K2500X, Virus TI 61 , Alesis Micron, Kurzweil K2000, Kurzweil K2500R, Yamaha SK20, Hammond C3+ Leslie R22, PC running Brainspawn Forte with EMU Soundcard + IK Multimedia Sampletank 2.0 + Sonik Synth + Miroslav Philharmonik, Logic Mainstage Smile
Megakazbek

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinoria wrote:
maybe the PC3 will miss the VAST capabilities but....

Well, it's already known that PC3 WILL have VAST capabilities greatly exceeding those of K26xx, so there's no need to guess here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: