Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

korg m3r sounds replicated in korg M1
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carluk66

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: korg m3r sounds replicated in korg M1 Reply with quote

Hi,

Years back i had the korg m3r rack module and had favourite sounds called KRYPTON and HAUNTED. I now have the korg legacy digital edition and would love these sounds again as my old songs had these sounds in them. Has anybody translated the korg M3r sounds to the M1 ? or know if i can get them anywhere ? or is it possible to replicate the korg m3r sounds in the M1 in legacy collection ? I'd appreciate any help.

thanks Very Happy
brzilian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the M3r was a paired down version of the M1/M1EX. I would venture to guess that KLC-DE has all the waveforms from the M3r.
Ben Hall

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the M3R was pretty much a 1-oscillator M1 - it might have had a few less waves as well, can't remember offhand.

The difficulty is that the M3R's factory patches were in ROM, so you can't readily find sysex around the net. If someone can provide the factory sysex data, I could probably convert it for Legacy purposes - there's nothing in the M3R that the Legacy can't do, as far as I know...
Etaoin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If someone can provide the factory sysex data, I could probably convert it for Legacy purposes

You can find a dump of the factory presets from my M3R here:
http://www.dompselaar.org/Korg/M3R/

The M3rback.gif is a list of the multisounds in ROM, for reference.
carluk66

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies and I sent ben a pm message about helping in anyway. I do have a pdf copy of the Korg M3R manual and quick user guide if you need it ?
Ben Hall

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Etaoin wrote:
You can find a dump of the factory presets from my M3R here: http://www.dompselaar.org/Korg/M3R/

Thanks for doing this. As far as I can see, the data is an "all" dump, which I can't use.

Can you dump the individual sections to a file instead? (programs, combinations, drumkits etc)

The files from sysexdb all appear to be corrupt Sad

Cheers,
Etaoin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Can you dump the individual sections to a file instead? (programs, combinations, drumkits etc)

Programs, combinations and drumkits now available in the same folder.
I've skipped a dump of the Globals.
Ben Hall

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent - thanks, I'll give it another go... Smile
Ben Hall

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, some success so far.

I *hoped* that I could import the M3r data into Sounddiver's M1 module, and get it to convert the data automatically, but alas it doesn't have that conversion.

My next plan of attack was to load the data into the M3 module, and examine the parameters to recreate the sound in the M1. This stumped for a while because SoundDiver would not import the M3 data at all.

I did some sample exports from SD with an initilaised combi bank and compared them with the combi data, and the header stuff, size etc was exactly the same. I verified the header data and it is correct, so why SD would not import the data stumped me.

I finally hit on an alternatively approach, which was to use a different sysex utility to "play" the data into SD via the IAC bus on the Mac, and this worked! So I can finally get at the parameters at last...

I'll have a look at those two sounds you mention and see if I can translate them over... bear with me, it might take some time depending on how easy it is...

Edit: Ok, I had a quick check on the PCM waveforms in those sounds.

The M3 lists some waveforms that *do not* occur in the M1's main waveforms, but I have found waves on other cards that have the same names that look like it's probably the data they used for the M3r.

Obviously I don't know exactly because I'm doing this blind, not knowing what the original patches sounded like.

In any case, I'll transcribe those two Combis across (each has about four programs) and get them into the Legacy M1 and you can see whether they are workable or not. Again, bear with...

Ok Carl - is the "Krypton" combi a kind of chiffy grungy pad with a bell like attack, and a sort of tinkly marimba-thing that swoops down in pitch?

If so, we're on the right lines... Smile

Ok, here are those two combis:
http://bj.angeltowns.com/files/m3r_for_carl.zip

I've matched the waveforms by name only, but there might be differences, so be prepared to go on a wave hunt if things don't sound as they should. Other than that, the settings are transcribed from the M3r data, and barring errors, should be correct.

Let me know if this works for you...
Etaoin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's close, but the levels and pitch offsets of the individual sounds are off.

Here are the originals from my M3R:

http://www.dompselaar.org/Korg/M3R/m3r_krypton.mp3

http://www.dompselaar.org/Korg/M3R/m3r_haunted.mp3
Ben Hall

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah cool, thanks for those clips, that's useful. I'll have a look and tweak them later.

It may be some paramters I'd made errors on, or bugs in the editor - I did notice in one, the pitch transpose came up as +19 but the slider range in the editor was only +/-12.
carluk66

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help Ben and Etaoin. Sounds like your getting close to those sounds. I'ts a shame that korg never added the full Korg M3R Sounds as a card in the M1 legacy. It was my main synth module alongside the wavestation SR. It's great to have it in software !

Hope you achieve the translations. much appreciated ! If you want to hear a bit of M3R. Go to my web page www.myspace.com/pharotopia and listen to fate and crazy love. I want to remix those old songs i made many years back.

Very Happy
Lerxst

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very interested in the recreation of these M3R patches, are there any news update on how this is progressing?
Ben Hall

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just haven't had time yet. I will take a look later...
carluk66

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ben,

Any luck on the sounds ?
cheers

Carl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: