Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Taking On The OASYS
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LarsVonMeyer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Apple Taking On The OASYS Reply with quote

Quoted from a KVR thread (http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=188214&start=0) concerning one of the new instruments in (the yet to be released) Logic 8 Pro:

"New workstation style synth - This is sort of like a virtual Korg Oasys, with all the sounds you could ever want, closer inspection reveals a 30GB rom. I have to say this is a very very very nice synth - much better than Xpand! for Pro Tools, and the acoustic instruments are better than the ones found in the Oasys."

Don't know whether its true, but it will be interesting to compare the Korg Oasys and Logic's new instrument.
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it will be interesting to compare the Korg Oasys and Logic's new instrument

Why exactly?..

How will this new Logic thingie be different than any other soft synth? (Soft synth = you need a COMPUTER to use it.)

I own almost everything from Native Instruments, Applied Acoustics System, Arturia, Korg (!) and so on. They all have their pluses and minuses, but it's beside the point to compare them with dedicated hardware. (I find myself sitting less in front of the computer than ever before, and I like that!!)

Right?..
peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

heard this rumour as well.

But even if it is true, for me this concept has one big disadvantage - it is working within a computer with a mouse, with a keyboard, with all these USB ports connected to several devices, and firewire HDs of which I can think I can rely... until the day they crash and I have to check for the backup which unfortunately was from the day before yesterday and the ultimate sound within the new song was unfortunately programmed yesterday... etc. And if I want real orchestral sounds, then I load them into the OASYS as samples, but at the moment I do not have any project where I personally have the need for it.

... just my 2 cents.

peter
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this makes me upset, those software companies....
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a Logic user for some time, so I am really looking forward to seeing what Logic Pro 8 brings. I hope the core application has received attention, especially stuff like offline audio editing, MIDI routing, as well as just adding new instruments.

Daz.
LarsVonMeyer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter m. mahr wrote:
Hi,

heard this rumour as well.

But even if it is true, for me this concept has one big disadvantage - it is working within a computer with a mouse, with a keyboard, with all these USB ports connected to several devices, and firewire HDs of which I can think I can rely... until the day they crash and I have to check for the backup which unfortunately was from the day before yesterday and the ultimate sound within the new song was unfortunately programmed yesterday... etc. And if I want real orchestral sounds, then I load them into the OASYS as samples, but at the moment I do not have any project where I personally have the need for it.

... just my 2 cents.

peter

Peter:

This does not really apply for most of us, because unless you use the Oasys for sequencing, recording, mixing etc....you are going to be dealing with a computer anyway (running Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase etc) with the relevant USB/firewire devices needed to record and mix the audio.

The cons of having a massive virtual workstation in your sequencer will be latency and loading times, and this applies to all software instruments.

I'd like to add that Cubase already has a virtual Motif in the form of the Halion One Player. However the sounds are not as good as the real motif and the sample library is quite small.

Knowing Apple, and the amount of time they have had to develop Logic 8 - something like 4 years - its not going to be bad sounding and sluggish, especially if it runs in Leopard's architecture.

Hopefully they won't advertise it like Reason and show huge hardware keyboards in trash cans. Wink
LarsVonMeyer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - posted twice.
peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarsVonMeyer wrote:
This does not really apply for most of us, because unless you use the Oasys for sequencing, recording, mixing etc....you are going to be dealing with a computer anyway (running Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase etc) with the relevant USB/firewire devices needed to record and mix the audio.

Lars,

no doubt, I know that my way of working is a "little bit" outdated. Wink Meanwhile I even record less and less MIDI data as I enjoy playing without a safety net. But there are also moments where I like to mix within dp5.1, but this is the case for me to separate these two steps (playing/ composing <-> recording/mixing) and dp5.1 offers much, much more then OASYS' sequencer ever will... UAD plug-ins are just one example.

Bottom line - I am sure there will be many people who are looking forward to get this modular OASYS concept within Logic at the moment I am not one of them.... but this can change, although at the moment personally I do not see any need for me.

peter
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
separate these two steps (playing/ composing <-> recording/mixing

Agree, and this is what mainly turned me on to the OASYS.

I knew I would never experience a sequencer in the OASYS that could touch the flexibility of a computer counterpart, be it Cubase, Logic, Digital Performer et al.

You know, I guess I got tired of playing and having fun with software instruments becuse it almost always incorporated a lot of steps in order to just start and play the damned thing! You know: drivers, latency, compatibility, updates, bla bla bla.

But for recording serious stuff, I will always rely on DAW's, not least because of VST Fx.

To sum it up:

OASYS: having fun, creating and composing, and enjoying the FANTASTIC resolution and low aliasing! Let's not forget one thing, amidst all this talk of gigabytes: sound quality.

DAW: the hard work of mixing and fine tuning everything! Wink
peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curvebender wrote:
OASYS: having fun, creating and composing, and enjoying the FANTASTIC resolution and low aliasing! Let's not forget one thing, amidst all this talk of gigabytes: sound quality.

DAW: the hard work of mixing and fine tuning everything! Wink

curvebender,

you are talking my language ! Wink

peter
Count2Four123

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taking into consideration that we will surely have to pay someting like 400 - 500 bucks for this long-awaited update, i think a little "present" like this new synth is more than welcome.

My personal POV: you can never have TOO many soft-synths ...

T.
XVampireX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Software synthesizer applications and actual synthesizers are quite different I believe, so it wouldn't matter even if they had the best sounds, the best configurability, it would be a different experience from playing an actual instrument, I'd say that playing a real synthesizer would be more fun, more comfortable and you won't have to drag your computer everywhere just for music Razz

Just my 2 cents Wink
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you are talking my language !

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Synergy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't look good. Apple will have their latest generation Intel ready to support the application. Imagine 8 core processors pushing it. Not only that, you'll have 16GB of ram & 3 Terabyte HD supporting the proc and the graphic card capable of running 30" plus monitor. On the other hand we have a decade old processor inside the oasys costing twice as the Apple.
Count2Four123

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally someone who has the courage to say it the way it is ! Shocked
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: