Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which it The Best Triton Extreme or Korg M3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abo Fara7

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Which it The Best Triton Extreme or Korg M3 Reply with quote

And Dose Program Of Triton Add on M3 Like PCG ??????

thanks 4 all .
r12

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M3 is better...
for synthesis architecture, possibilities and 3 size RAM for sampling and of course...KARMA2

ok, it has less good programs than TE but in few months it will change (by users and EX-USB PCM)

it's like a little OASYS
rfoshaug

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Technically, the M3 is best. The synthesis is better, as r12 mentions, and it has more features, like Karma2, color screen, more/better realtime control etc.

However, the Triton Extreme does have an extreme amount of preset programs and combis. The M3 has a lot of empty banks when it arrives. So I guess it all depends on what you're going to use it for. If you like programming your own sounds, definitely go for the M3. If you like to have a lot of ready-to-use sounds, go for the Extreme. Both are excellent synths.

If you plan to do a lot of sequencing or other multitimbral work, the M3 has a 3-band equalizer on each timbre in addition to the same number of insert and master effects on the Extreme.

For the Extreme you can install (if you can get it as it is now out of production) the MOSS addon synthesizer board which gives you 6 voices / up to 6 timbres of modelling synth power (analog modelling as well as physical models).

For the M3 you can install the 24-voice/4-part multitimbral RADIAS option. No physical acoustic modelling, but a lot of other features (and while all sound from MOSS must be routed through the same effects, RADIAS allows you to route those 4 timbres through different effects). Note, however that both RADIAS and MOSS use the internal effect of their host synth. They do not have any effects of their own. With effects I mean echo, reverb, phaser, overdrive etc.

If you use a computer for sequencing, the M3 is much more integrated with software sequencers through USB. It's funny how Access have talked much about the Total Integration with PC's for the Access Virus TI (and have had quite a few problems with it), while Korg almost haven't mentioned this feature at all for the M3. But it's there.

For most purposes, the M3 is a better synth. It has better sound quality and a lot of well-thought-through features not available on the Triton series. Most of all it depends on whether a lot of preset sounds are important or not. As r12 says, there will be both user sounds and sounds that come with the EX-USB PCM addons, so the collection will grow as time goes by. Building the kind of amount of presets that the Extreme has, takes years (the Triton Classic didn't have many presets either).

Also remember that the last Triton has been produced. There will not be any new expansions and not as much support in the future as on the M3.

I actually tried to buy an Extreme a few months ago, but they just seemed to run out of them everywhere. Now, 2 days after I received my M3-73 ( Laughing ), I'm glad I didn't get the Triton. The M3 really is a step forward from the Triton series.

And one more thing. I don't know how the 88-key keybeds compare, but if you plan to get a 61-key or 76-key (on the M3, that's actually 73 keys) version, the M3 keybed is just fantastic. The feel of the keys, the action, the way you can exactly get a feel for how hard you must press the key to get the velocity you want, the aftertouch... oh my, that aftertouch...

Once you've played the M3-61 or M3-73 keybed, you'll quickly forget that you ever considered buying a Triton.

Quote:

Don't know quite what you mean... The system of PCG files and how you save and load programs and combis is the same as on the Triton. But please be aware that they are not compatible. You can't load a Triton PCG into the M3 because the EDS synthesis of M3 is very different than the HI synthesis of Triton.

Hope this helps. Of course there is the question of money as well - if you can find a Triton Extreme, it will be like half the price of M3. So in the end only you can decide what you want. But most people would agree that the M3 is the way forward and the "better" synth of those two.

As long as you don't consider buying a Yamaha, you should be okay... Wink
Dr.InnoVation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Which it The Best Triton Extreme or Korg M3 Reply with quote

Abo Fara7 wrote:

thanks 4 all .

I don't have a clue what type of music you play, or if you are commissioned to make a vast assortment of tracks for different purposes so if you can tell us a bit more about you then we could elaborate on which synth is "best" for you.
What I am getting at is one or the other could be better for you depending on what it is YOU do. What other synths do you own and what type of music do you play? What types of sounds do you look for? Do you stick to what the synth gives you or are you a sound editor/tweaker?
SoundClick Page: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=868853
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r12 wrote:

it's like a little OASYS

a very small one... Rolling Eyes Wink
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Which it The Best Triton Extreme or Korg M3 Reply with quote

Abo Fara7 wrote:

thanks 4 all .

ga both
bctines

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compared to the TE I used to have, my M3 is way more fun, key's play better, works with the computer much, much better. As a stage buddy, M3 kick's the TE all over, IMO.

But as was said, a lot depends on what you want to do with it.
sani

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it in the following way:
a TE user doesn't necessarily need to switch to the newest model, except if he needs the new features.
The M3 has IMHO good and great sounds, but the diversity at this time is far better on the TE.
Where I'm somehow disappointed on the M3 is mainly how they have programmed the karma with the sounds. That is IMO way behind of what the karma can make to the sound. I don't know how many M3 users are here who had or still have the Karma keyboard. I liked the way how karma sounds on that keyboard much much better than how it sounds on the M3. It is maybe so because Stephen Kay programmed most of the karma settings on the karma keyboard, while on the M3 it is not so.
Some of the arpeggio GE's which are programmed with some programs sounds worse than any classic arpeggiator on other keyboards. And most combinations sounds to me, like they were using the karma only for driving the drums and the bas.
Right now, I'm rewriting some programs from my TR (mainly the synth type sounds) and Karma settings form the Karma keyboard.
EJ2
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RC-IA wrote:
r12 wrote:

it's like a little OASYS

hahahaha... Laughing , yep, but a pretty darn good one, though, especially with EXB RADIAS installed.

CATALYST v 2 Blast of Inspiration for KRONOS & OASYS: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst2.html
CATALYST v 1 Combi Explosion for KRONOS, OASYS, M3, & K-M50: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst1.html
CHEMISTRY 3, a Groove Injection for Your Karma: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/chem3.html
SoundCloud MP3 Demoshttps://soundcloud.com/ej2-sc
Dr.InnoVation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
RC-IA wrote:
r12 wrote:

it's like a little OASYS

Think of it this way: Bike vs. Car. It's THAT big a difference! My friend just bought an M3 and let me borrow it for two weeks and it's NO comparison. Not even CLOSE! It's a HUGE difference. HUGE! Take one for a spin for a month or so and you'll see exactly what I mean when you go back to the M3.

To even CALL it an OASYS AT ALL for that matter, big or small is just ludicrous beyond belief, IMO.

Sina

Yeah, well what can you say? Laughing
Some people may not hear the fidelity and that is sad.
I mean as an example just speaking of the sound quality of both the M3 and the Extreme I hear a lot of Extreme sounds edited and tweaked onto the M3. I was expecting to hear better quality but maybe it wasn't setup correctly where I auditioned it?
SoundClick Page: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=868853
silverdragonsound
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will approach this from a different perspective. The M3 is a pretty penny right now and you can get a used Triton Extreme for under one grand right now if your patient on Ebay. If you don't need all the new bells and whistles of the M3, the extreme is certainly capable and for the $, its a great value. It certainly has many, many sounds and you hear them on all the current music. I'm not saying the M3 is bad but rather right now the extreme is a great value.
jazzman1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverdragonsound wrote:
I will approach this from a different perspective. The M3 is a pretty penny right now and you can get a used Triton Extreme for under one grand right now if your patient on Ebay. If you don't need all the new bells and whistles of the M3, the extreme is certainly capable and for the $, its a great value. It certainly has many, many sounds and you hear them on all the current music. I'm not saying the M3 is bad but rather right now the extreme is a great value.

I agree with silverdragonsound. From your post I feel a used extreme would be a safe and wise purchase for you. The extreme is not better than the M3 nor vise versa. They are of a differant cut. A year or two with the extreme and you will find yourself very happy and still able to move up to the then not so new lower priced (hopefully) M3. Maybe even a good deal on a used one by then.
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
r12

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"" Triton EX vs. M3? That's a TOUGH decision in my book. The TEX has a HUUUGE library of sounds right out of the box with some unbelievable Combi's and Programs! ""

you're right today
we will talk about it in few months

think about the future
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: