Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Update on My OASYS
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silverdragonsound
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject: Update on My OASYS Reply with quote

As some of you know, I had a problem with my Oasys as it simply started working. Basically since then I haven't posted on here for two reasons. Its really hard to read about the Oasys think of things I'd like to do and try only to realize I can't (This may be better known as Oasys withdrawal syndrome or OWS) Secondly I have been very busy and time has been an issue.

I received a call today regarding my Oasys. I should be betting it back in about three weeks. Hopefully not any later but I am looking forward to getting it back and getting back to learning more about this keyboard beast known as the Oasys.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they say what was wrong with it...power supply...motherboard?
EJ2
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the title of the thread should be changed to "Update on My OASYS" so as not to alarm OASYS owners about an OS update.

CATALYST v 2 Blast of Inspiration for KRONOS & OASYS: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst2.html
CATALYST v 1 Combi Explosion for KRONOS, OASYS, M3, & K-M50: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst1.html
CHEMISTRY 3, a Groove Injection for Your Karma: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/chem3.html
SoundCloud MP3 Demoshttps://soundcloud.com/ej2-sc
MarkF786

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately I've been obsessing a little about "what if my Oasys dies?" I posted a thread a few weeks ago discussing the MTBF or the average lifetime of the Oasys, but the general response seemed like I was the only person concerned about it.

I don't worry about any of my other gear dying and imagine most of it will last a lifetime. I'm winding down on my gear buying phase, and I'd like to get a setup that will hold me over for a long time. I have kids on the way, and probably won't have as much free time, so I could imagine keeping the same synths for 10+ years. I still have concerns if the Oasys will last that long since at heart it is just a PC. The motherboard's MTBF is only 40,000 which might seem like a lot, but in comparison the average harddrive (which is notorious for failure) is rated at 300,000 to 1,200,000 hours. I don't know about you, but I've had many harddrives, motherboards, and power supplies die on me. I've never had a synth or similar device die.

I've even been thinking of selling the O and buying an M3, since it's lifetime would be like any other non-computer-based synth. Sure, I'd be losing the other synth engines, but I could make up for the ones important to me.

Sorry to hijack the thread. When I read about hardware failures on the O, it gets me thinking about this. I wonder if five years from now, dying O's will become a common occurence.

Mark
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkF786 wrote:
... but the general response seemed like I was the only person concerned about it.

Personally I was in denial, I am too scared to even think about that Wink I think you were making a very valid point but it got lost in there somehow IIRC.

I must confess that since that post I have explored the idea of snagging a spare PIV and AOpen MOBO. As I commented to Sharp though, I bet if I did that it would be another part that will fail in years to come.

Like you I hope to have my Oasys for a very long time, it's the most significant piece in my setup.

So yes, I really feel for Silver, that must be very frustrating ... I hope everything works out okay and soon !
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i purchased a new Z1 in 1997 it died on me in the first week. Apparently there was some issue with them - a resistor or something that had to be replaced. Have had it for 10yrs now and had no issues.

In 1999 when i purchased a new Kurzweil K2600X this too died on me in a week or so - turned out the fuse blew. So, I've had some experience with new synths dying on me - its a real bummer picking the thing up and taking it to the repair shop - some repair people have no respect for electonics - i was scared my synths might come back with scratches etc - i'm meticulous with my keyboards, dont like scratches dust anything on them.

Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
silverdragonsound
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses guys. I never really found out what happened to it but I will be getting all the information when it is returned. I had issues with the shipper getting it to sweetwater and there was a moment when I feared they lost it or something along those lines. Luckily that was lceared up and now they are ordering parts for it. I think the maion ciruit board was fried but I don't know for sure.

As for other Oasys's dying its certainly possible. They are electronic and everything electronic is subject to these type issues. I do think the issue with my Oasys is an isolated incident and by no means an issue with the keyboard as a whole. I mean look at things like the Alesis Fusion as an example of a recent keyboard with plenty of known issues both now and in the past.

Lastly I wanted to say I've had tons of other gear die from Roland, Alesis, Yamaha, Kawaii, Casio, M-Audio and Ensoniq all die on me. Gear dies and this is just the way it is. Somestimes its an issue with the way its puts together and most of the time its really just an isolated incident.
Mag66

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Update on My OASYS Reply with quote

silverdragonsound wrote:
As some of you know, I had a problem with my Oasys as it simply started working.

Umm.. and that is a problem because??

Laughing

Seriously though... I had an issue with mine a while back and Korg were excellent in getting the issue resolved and I haven't looked back since.. Yes, it's a pain having to be patient.. but it really is worth the wait..

Nigel

The Art Of Sound Website **UPDATED: 1st FEB 2008**

MBP 17", M-Audio Midisport 8X8 Oasys88, Karma, Triton Classic, and a whole bunch of other keyboards, modules, racks, software + such
silverdragonsound
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey another local user how about that! Thanks for the words Nigel. Beer
ricky recordo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverdragonsound wrote:
I had issues with the shipper getting it to sweetwater and there was a moment when I feared they lost it or something along those lines. .

If they'd lost your OASYS (vendor or transport company) I'd think that they'd be on the hook for a new unit for you.

Back in 1986 - maybe it was 85 - I bought a new Ensoniq ESQ-1, one of the early ones that lacked a heatsink. It popped chips like popcorn (well, two kernels anyway) so I took it in for repair twice. UPS lost it the second time - or so the vendor's "story" went - and I ended up with a brand new heatsink-equipped ESQ-1, sealed up fresh in the box.

Ahhhhhh, that factory fresh smell! Cool mmmmm.....
ricky recordo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkF786 wrote:
I've even been thinking of selling the O and buying an M3, since it's lifetime would be like any other non-computer-based synth.

Like maybe my Juno 106 or DX7. Both keep on keepin' on 20 years after, and both still sound wonderful - the Juno has a bit of rust on its SOLID STEEL case - the DX7's equally robust cabinet is rust-free, (and both happily accept fridge-magnet-affixed notes)

I don't think the M3 likes magnets. I'll check...

I'm back. Nope. The M3 does not like magnets.

Hey, guess what - the Motif XS LOVES magnets. You can hang an Elvis poster off of it with a magnet. I think Yamaha used the same tool/die setup for both DX7 and XS6.

:EDIT: Sorry, I was comparing the XS' dimensions to my Roland JX-8P, which incidentally also will magnetically hold an Elvis poster in place with no problem. Small wonder since the accompanying PG-800 programmer module was designed to affix itself to the JX-8P with magnets... but don't get me wrong the Juno 106 IS made of steel as is the JX-8P and is equally magnetic

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Maybe the OASYS just needs better heat dissipation... like the big honkin' heat sink like they welded on to the ESQ-1, but bigger.

The OASYS rad update would ideally be free of charge as well
milkojnr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have had a couple of problems with keyboards down here is Australia:
Roland D50,D70 JD800 range the glue holding the weights under the keys dissolved and we had pink glue and weights hanging off the each of the keys. Roland even though it was like 8 years since I purchased my JD800 fixed it under warranty. It was like a brand new keyboard 8 years later.
EJ2
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL,, I just had my JD800 keybed repaired too, but Roland Canada made me pay for it...albeit....at a low shop rate ,... and included a bit more clean up and replacements. Great to have that baby back.

CATALYST v 2 Blast of Inspiration for KRONOS & OASYS: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst2.html
CATALYST v 1 Combi Explosion for KRONOS, OASYS, M3, & K-M50: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst1.html
CHEMISTRY 3, a Groove Injection for Your Karma: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/chem3.html
SoundCloud MP3 Demoshttps://soundcloud.com/ej2-sc
Synthia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have my old Juno 106,DX7,D-50 etc.They knew how to built them like tanks in the old days.All my older synths are still running strong.

I always have that niggling feeling that my old DX7 will outlive my OASYS.The new gear just doesn't last that long.There is so much more that can go wrong with it.Same goes for hoovers,washing maschines,etc.
I really do hope that OASYS will have a long life because I would be absolutly heartbroken if it would die prematurely.It really scares me at times.
http://www.myspace.com/tritonia
http://www.youtube.com/synthiakorg
Synergy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 22 year old Casio home keyboard and it runs like new today. I dissembled the thing to clean up the old debries inside and I was quite surprised how well the components were soldered and put together. They wrapped each jumper wires with high quality cloth tapes. Everything was meticulously insured that nothing falls apart. I regret selling my DX7. I paid $3000 from a slick sly sales guy.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: