Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it possible to control the X50 with another synth?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg X-50 / microX
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Magic Hoof

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Is it possible to control the X50 with another synth? Reply with quote

I have a question that may seem a bit odd, but is there any way to kind of use another midi controller to use the patches on the X50? I was thinking of somehow just plugging in a midi controller board directly to the X50 and using it like that, but I'm not sure if that's possible. The reason for this is that, of course, the X50 has a cheap board and I'll be getting something with weighted keys in the future and it'd be nice to use the X50 in real-time instead of recording a midi with another board and then having it sent back to the X50.
rob.ocelot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to control the X50 with another synth? Reply with quote

The Magic Hoof wrote:
I have a question that may seem a bit odd, but is there any way to kind of use another midi controller to use the patches on the X50? I was thinking of somehow just plugging in a midi controller board directly to the X50 and using it like that, but I'm not sure if that's possible. The reason for this is that, of course, the X50 has a cheap board and I'll be getting something with weighted keys in the future and it'd be nice to use the X50 in real-time instead of recording a midi with another board and then having it sent back to the X50.

You can definitely do that. I have an Alesis Micron and use it to control the Micro-X by MIDI -- The X-50 will behave exactly the same way. All you need to do is connect a MIDI cable from the "Out" port of the controller to the "In" port of the X-50.

I've even set the Micro-X and Micron to be different parts of the full piano keyboard so I can get a nice range of keys.

If you have a MIDI controller with knobs like Novation X-station or a purely knob/slider MIDI controller like a Kenton Control Freak I'm not sure how the knobs are mapped so it might take some tweaking to get it so that you don't have to reach over to the Micro-X/X-50 to change a parameter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg X-50 / microX All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: