Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Piano

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stephen~K^

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Piano Reply with quote

I have had a bad day including an accident where a semi truck fully loaded hits me from behind causing much damage to my brand new Charger and then he had the nerve to try to lie to the state police!
Anyway, I am OK besides the damage to the car and a stiff neck.

My point of this post is that I did buy the Korg half damper pedal and all I want to do right now is play the grand piano that is not loaded and is on EXS2 which is not loaded from the factory.

The book, well nevermind. did not help me neither did the search.

Can someone please give me a brief explanation on how to load this?

Also, I have tried and cannot get an answer regarding how I can input my Yammi accoustic into the Oasys and also if I will be able to use Karma with the piano once I input the data.

I WOULD LOVE THIS IF IT IS POSSIBLE!

Any microphone suggustions on how to mic this U1 studio upright will also be greatly appreciated.

I will do my best to contribute to this forum in any way that I can in the future and will greatly appreciate any help or tips that you can offer this total newb! Embarassed

Thanks much in advance to those who respond.

Now my wife is getting cranky because I am spending so much time in here making noise!

Time for some 100% agave...

SK

Last edited by Stephen~K^ on Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:38 am; edited 2 times in total
Stephen~K^

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Piano Reply with quote

oops!
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the Operation Guide, in "Selecting which EXs PCM data is loaded" under "About the OASYS’ PCM memory."

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Stephen~K^

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love editing!

Why aren't the EX2's loaded from the factory?

Last edited by Stephen~K^ on Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stephen,

Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad you are OK.

Loading the Ex 2 is really very simple...

Global / Basic / Upper right hand corner drop down / Expansion Setup / Exs 2 Concert Grand Piano / Hit OK
After reboot, select your patch and have fun! Smile
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when loaded, the ex2s Piano patches are in program bank User A.

take care
Stephen~K^

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou wrote:
Hi Stephen,

Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad you are OK.

Loading the Ex 2 is really very simple...

Global / Basic / Upper right hand corner drop down / Expansion Setup / Exs 2 Concert Grand Piano / Hit OK
After reboot, select your patch and have fun! Smile

Thanks much, I love simple and very simple is better!

Sounds like a Bosie!
Synergy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen~K^ wrote:
I love editing!

If you haven't done it yet, you will need to upgrade your 1GB RAM to 2GB in order for the Oasys to load up the EX2 as soon as it powers up (as if it's loading from the factory).
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synergy wrote:
Stephen~K^ wrote:
I love editing!

If you haven't done it yet, you will need to upgrade your 1GB RAM to 2GB in order for the Oasys to load up the EX2 as soon as it powers up (as if it's loading from the factory).

With 1GB of RAM, you can still load the EXs2. You just can't load EXs1 at the same time.

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Stephen~K^

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much.

Anything regarding my accoustic piano intput questions?
silverdragonsound
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any microphone suggestions on how to mic this U1 studio upright will also be greatly appreciated.

Micing a piano is one of the most difficult things I have ever done, in terms of getting it to sound good. This is really an art form to do well IMO. I have a few basic ideas that are more general than specific. Each piano has its sound and quirks which makes giving specific advise somewhat difficult.

When you place a mic/s you want to try and emulate a stereo sound as much as possible. Your room also plays a big part in how you want to use your mic/s. A room with good absorption usually will help make a better sounding recording. The problem is many mics are closed mics and they don't pick up much if any of the room ambience. Sometimes you can compensate by placing mics in way where you can record signals reflecting off the wall, ceilings and floors. You have to play around with it. If your just placing mics in the piano itself, I would suggest two mics. One on the mics should be in the bass section of the piano and one of the mics should be placed in the higher range. You won't want the mics to pick each other up because that will probably mono the sound instead of getting the stereo sound you'll want. If you do get that mono sound, add some ambience into your mix and pan it to the center. Mixing is also a very important part of this process. Generally you want to boost the bass in the left part of the mix and boost the treble in the right part of the mix but you'll have to do this subtely. Lastly the types of mics your using will also play a part in the process. If your using a condenser mic it will probably sound brighter. If it sounds too bright, adding a little distortion to the mix will help and if your using a dynamic mic, you may want to add some brightness to enhance the mix.
There are alot of things to factor in and your piano is one of the primary things along with your mics and room your recording in. It took me a few weeks to finally figure out how to record my own piano and there are still some things I'm learning about what I can do differently or better. I hope at least some of this helps. Good luck!
ski
Independent Sound Designer for Korg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silverdragon's advice is good, but I'm going to make some other suggestions...

First of all, I generally don't like when the LH and RH of a piano recording are hard-panned. Sounds totally unnatural from both an audience and performer's perspective. But in a recording, stereo mic'ing gives the listener a sense of space and ambience that's more interesting to hear than a mono recording.

But you can't really ignore the mono factor. Unless you get your mic placement right you'll have problems with mono compatibility, and this will affect the sound of your track when played out of mono computer speakers, as one example. And even if you like the hard L/R panning thing on piano, you may find that panning your tracks hard L/R will be a little too wide. The solution is to pan both sides closer to center. But if your mic'ing isn't mono compatible, the piano sound will get weirder as the panning becomes more mono. So mono compatibility has to be paid attention to.

So my suggestion is to stereo mic the piano but monitor in MONO as you're getting your sound together (this means panning both mics up the center). Once you get a good sound in mono, pan the mics hard L/R to assess the sound in full stereo. If it "translates" well between stereo and mono, then make your recording. On playback, pan the tracks towards the center (again, 9 & 3 or so) to reduce the separation and achieve a more natural spread.
Stephen~K^

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great input! Thanks much!

Does anyone have any experience with the Helpinstill pickup system?

Makes since to me but a real laymen here...

This is the link: http://www.helpinstill.com/products.html
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen~K^ wrote:

Also, I have tried and cannot get an answer regarding how I can input my Yammi accoustic into the Oasys and also if I will be able to use Karma with the piano once I input the data.

Regardless of whether you mic the piano or use some type of magnetic pickup (like you referenced) to amplify the sound, then the end the output of the piano is audio data.

Just like any audio signal you could route this audio signal and apply OASYS effects to it. However, Karma primarily requires midi data as input to drive the generation of additional notes, and I don't believe Karma can be driven by audio data.

You could of course use the OASYS on-board audio recorder to record your piano playing as audio tracks, then use OASYS instruments to play/create midi tracks that would use Karma. For example, you could create a bass guitar midi track on the OASYS sequencer as backing for your acoustic piano playing.
Stephen~K^

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin,

That really clarifies it for me.

I would love to be able to use the piano and apply Karma to it and thought perhaps the signal could be transfered to midi.

There are things that I do on the piano that cannot be done on an electronic instrument especially with pedal technique and blending.

Thanks much,
SK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: