Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Logic 8 is a real Oasys killer!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TagPass

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Logic 8 is a real Oasys killer! Reply with quote

...I'm totally kidding...

Nice price point, though.
XVampireX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not funny... what if you hurt someones feelings? Razz

But how can you compare a real hardware synth to a software synth, that's ridiculous...
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the price, Logic 8 appears to be priced more in line with other competing DAWs:
-- $499 Logic Studio (including Logic 8 Pro)
-- $499 Ableton Live 6
-- $499 MOTU Digital Performer 5
-- $499 Cakewalk Sonar 6 Producer Edition

-- $799 Steinberg Cubase 4
-- $999 Apple Logic Pro 7

I don't own a Mac so I'm not very knowledgeable about Mac DAW software but it will be interesting to see how Logic 8 competes with Live 6, DP5, and Cubase 4.

What is REALLY interesting to me is that Apple has REPLACED the dongle (XS Key) with a Serial Number.

I also note that Apple "strongly recommends" 2GB or more memory and that 2GB is a minimum requirement to load some of the larger EXS instruments.

Last edited by MartinHines on Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and this..

http://www.moviemaster.de/archiv/film/film_2288.htm

you can get for even less.

mfg
peter
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XVampireX wrote:
It's not funny... what if you hurt someones feelings? Razz

But how can you compare a real hardware synth to a software synth, that's ridiculous...

Very well said.
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter m. mahr wrote:
and this..

http://www.moviemaster.de/archiv/film/film_2288.htm

you can get for even less.

mfg
peter

You gotta love this guy!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered the L8 upgrade ... my Oasys isn't going anywhere Wink

I am glad a good deal of the focus was on improving the audio sequencing/recording and other DAW related functionality. Mainstage is an interesting addition, I look forward to checking that out too for when I am not just DAW'ing.

Daz.
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XVampireX wrote:

Smile

It's all just software nowadays ... even if its hardware Wink Korg are writing some very nice sounding software right now, so they are blessed with my patronage.

Daz.
ricky recordo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz wrote:
Mainstage is an interesting addition, I look forward to checking that out too for when I am not just DAW'ing.

Man, that sure looks good. One MacBook, one contoller and it's off to the gig!
milkojnr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me Pro-tools, Structure, Waves and my Oasys any day!!!

i will never buy logic again after they bent me over about 4 years ago. I was one of those who have been using logic since atari days and brought all the upgrades and brought all the software synths and extra plug-ins. Still leaves me a bad taste in my mouth when i think of the money that cost me and then they gave it away for free as a part of the logic pro 6 upgrade.

But life goes on i did really well out of the software but i am very happy in Digidesign land now.
Synergy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milkojnr wrote:

i will never buy logic again after they bent me over about 4 years ago. I was one of those who have been using logic since atari days and brought all the upgrades and brought all the software synths and extra plug-ins. Still leaves me a bad taste in my mouth when i think of the money that cost me and then they gave it away for free as a part of the logic pro 6 upgrade.

But life goes on I did really well out of the software but I am very happy in Digidesign land now.

Mine is the other way around. I got my protools 3 when it was first introduced. Then came the Nubus-PCI upgrade. Since then Digi came out with few dozen ingenius hardware and software upgrade marketing themes to make me hold my ankles with both hands. So I jumped off the wagon before it was too late. But it was late enough to feel a bad hemorrhoid. Opcode did the same to me over a few years as well.
When the Apple's Final cut pro came out, it made many established linear video editing companies run for their money. I'm hoping that Apple do the same on the music insdustry as well. Looks like the Logic incorporated the Opcode's Max in it.
milkojnr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think at the end of the day, no software or hardware is perfect.

And everyone uses it in different ways.

As long as your happy and the software works great for your workflow go for it.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I think about it, this is a good strategic move by Apple to expand their musician base:

-- Windows Vista is the only OS available for the majority of retail PCs, and I haven't seen any evidence proving that Vista runs better than XP. This has left people like myself wondering if Windows XP systems will be available for my next computer upgrade cycle

-- By lowering the price and removing the copy protection hassles, Apple just might bring in some new buyers who aren't musicians at all. There are tons of people who use Garage Band

-- Given the 2GB memory requirement, this will most likely drive sales for the new MacIntel Macs. Apple can afford to earn a smaller profit on software if it drives a larger profit on hardware.
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Given the 2GB memory requirement

That's not a requirement, per se, to use Logic ... just to use the fatter sample sample sets included with Logic/Mainstage Smile

Daz.
milkojnr

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinHines wrote:
The more I think about it, this is a good strategic move by Apple to expand their musician base:

-- Given the 2GB memory requirement, this will most likely drive sales for the new MacIntel Macs. Apple can afford to earn a smaller profit on software if it drives a larger profit on hardware.

The EXS24 used to have disk streaming which cut down the need to have large amounts of RAM.

I think also think apple are using logic studio to help sell more hardware that is why it is so cheap. I am sure it will turn up a torrent site with in a week or two and apple know it. It was not hard to find Final Cut Studio 2.

And just for the record before I hit with replys regarding using torrent sites, I am not promoting the use of them and I have always purchased the software I use. But the honest truth is with just a serial number it will be hard to stop that side of it. I don't think the Logic Key was cracked 100% was it.

Mac Pro or Macbook Pro with Logic Studio and even Final Cut Studio what a package for the kids to start on wow !!! Wish I had that much fire power when I started.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: