Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whether Fantom X-8 or Korg M3 88
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sishan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Whether Fantom X-8 or Korg M3 88 Reply with quote

Hi,
I have never used any Korg / Roland product previously. Currently have Yamaha PSR, Casio WK-3500 (76key) board. As a bit of background I'm doing my Grade 6 piano from Royal School and keen on composing, recording myself as I do a lot of that on existing boards. Mostly into classical, semi-classical, jazz, contemporary, light rock and new-age instrumental loving person.

Now am looking for a real piano feel 88-key board with sequencer, sampler and "mind-blowing" sounds. Can someone please share some NEUTRAL opinions on whether I should go for X-8 or M3 88.

Few of my own findings:
1) For x8, since it's been there for quite a while, I have read plenty of reviews from experienced users and have access to lots of materials on "how-to-do" sort of things. Since the M3 88 is very recent addidion, I don't have that many reviews on the internet particularly regarding the keyboard feel.

2) Looking at the M3 screen images, it seems that operations on x-8 are much simpler to pick up and execute than M3

Any NEUTRAL opinion will be highly appreciated.

I know you guys may lean towards M3 but in case you have experienced both the boards, please share all pro-s and con-s.

Many thanks,
Shan

http://www.audiostreet.net/shantanusinha
AnthonyB
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Sishan, and welcome to Korg forums Very Happy

I play the piano myself, and have a proper Grand so to speak (Kawai RX-2), and Also a korg OASYS "88"

Now, if i was in your position, i would (myself) get a Fantom X8 over the M3 for these reasons:

1: Better Piano - that means a lot to a piano player (also additional piano boards are available Via SRX cards (4 for the keyboard, and 6 for the sound module)

2. I see The Roland Fantom as a better "all-rounder" for the "musician" wereas the M3 is Great for Better synth sounds, and has KARMA, amongst other things.

3: Better sequencer I believe, although the M3's resolution has been upped a bit to 192 PPQN I believe, more than the OASYS in fact, but thats another story.!

There are other boards to consider like the Yamaha Motif XS 88, and Korgs Extreme etc - or The OASYS if you could afford one. Listen to other peoples recommendations, and then come to a conclusion Sishan, The M3 is a great board; its just that i don't see the M3 as a "pianist" keyboard really, but, still..... Arrow

AnthonyB

JOHN 3:16
sishan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Anthony for your honest opinions.

An Oasys person speaking highly of Fantom X8, that really brings out the truth. You have lot of playing experience and so I value your suggestions.

Yes you are right, I will put the piano feel in terms of both how my fingers and ears feel you know, before anything. Then I will consider overall functions like sequencing, other patch qualities etc.

One downside is that the x8 is really heavy, almost 30kg and I definitely will have trouble in taking out to gigs. But I guess all 88 key models are over 25 or 26 kgs anyway...so...

Thanks again Smile
Shan

AnthonyB
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sishan,

I Think 25-30KG for a 88 key is about the norm anyway. I "nearly" went for a FantomX-88 and a Module (Motif or Korg). Your into "classical, semi-classical, jazz, contemporary, light rock and new-age" Well, that list reads more Fantom than M3 to me, save the last one (new age)

Listening to your MP3 Of "Fur-Elise" is very nice in the way you bring the strings in after the first repeat. Keep it up Sishan Very Happy (I play this one too)

Anthony

JOHN 3:16
sishan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the "strings" compliment ! I recorded this back in 2005. My playability of that "Fur Elise" has to improve much more I believe in terms of clarity, accents and perfection of notes Smile

Have you heard the "Sleepless Nights"? It's my own composition though..

Shan

Dr.InnoVation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Whether Fantom X-8 or Korg M3 88 Reply with quote

sishan wrote:
Hi,
Now am looking for a real piano feel 88-key board with sequencer, sampler and "mind-blowing" sounds. Can someone please share some NEUTRAL opinions on whether I should go for X-8 or M3 88.So, you are a pianist...Right off the bat IMO (in my opinion) you wouldn't be happy with the piano and feel of the M3. Fantom X8 has a very capable sampled piano that will do more than please, and the keybed will remind you of a piano, just not a very good one.

Few of my own findings:
1) For x8, since it's been there for quite a while, I have read plenty of reviews from experienced users and have access to lots of materials on "how-to-do" sort of things. Since the M3 88 is very recent addidion, I don't have that many reviews on the internet particularly regarding the keyboard feel.If the M3 had "it" -what you are looking for I'd easily endorse the synth!

2) Looking at the M3 screen images, it seems that operations on x-8 are much simpler to pick up and execute than M3Quite the contrary. The M3 is user friendly and well laid out, and the touch screen is a cakewalk to navigate. But I would still pick the Fantom X8.

Any NEUTRAL opinion will be highly appreciated.

I know you guys may lean towards M3 but in case you have experienced both the boards, please share all pro-s and con-s.

Many thanks,

I do not own either the X8 nor the M3....
I have the Fantom rack, using my Kurz as the controller and have played about 5 hours worth of demoing and learning about the M3. I don't need to get into specifics but as plain as I can see, the Fantom X8 is what you should get if your choice is between those two.

I wonder...
Have you ever played the Yamaha stage pianos? They are 2g's cheaper than a Fantom and the piano sound is very good.

For more 2cents from me I do not get why people think the Yamaha Motif pianos are that good because I don't think so. Do you?

Shan

SoundClick Page: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=868853
bkboy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i were you, i would get the motif xs over the fantom-x, motif xs has a lot of high quality sounds (the pads/synths are really good too compared to motif es), the fantom-x has a fancy screen and some nice effects.

motif xs and m3 together is probably the best combination out there now.
silverdragonsound
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who's owned the Fantom X8 and I'm also very familiar with the M3, I can honestly tell you neither is probably right for you. The Fantom X is being replaced very soon with a new model and it probably isn't a good investment right now. IMO, considering what you said and what's important to you, the Yamaha Motif XS is far and away the best fit for you. Play one and compare the sounds, especially the acoustic stuff, this is where you'll hear a huge difference and see why the Motif XS is the best choice.
sishan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks guys for your opinions. I haven't checked this thread for a while.

The problem in most of the metro cities here is that since these are very expensive instruments local dealers (only big ones) hardly keep any floor models of them. And so there is no chance of trying out different instruments before buying.
The mindset is like if people keep banging on them in the shop, the ultimate customer may not want to buy that model and instead they will ask for a fresh packed one. So, the business style and economy is such that the shop-owners order only when they get an order for a specific instrument. So.... Sad

Silverdragonsound,
Do you happen to know the new model of Roland replacing x-8?

Thanks...

XVampireX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand it why do you people put down the M3 for such an older synth???????
gnbutt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Roland Fantom X-8 and really like it. Very nice piano feel, not necessarily a high end unit but quite functional. It is, though, pretty heavy if you are lugging it around on gigs. I do have other keyboards, I'm happy with the Fantom X-8 but it stays in the studio, I use the Tritons when on the road. The way these new keyboards are constantly coming into the scene, you'll never keep up with the technology unless you have a very deep pocket. The X-8 more than handles my needs, I guess the OASYS would be nice to have as an optimum keyboard but who knows, even this level of technology will eventually be surpassed by another inventive company sooner or later.
My 2 cents worth
GB
M3-73, Roland Fantom X8, Motif ES7, OMNISPHERE VST and my baby, an old Fender Rhodes 73. Hammond SK2 with Neo Mini-Vent for Organ, Korg Krome 61 with Vintage Synth collection + DSKrome, Killer Organ Package
Roland FA-06
silverdragonsound
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sishan wrote:

Silverdragonsound,
Do you happen to know the new model of Roland replacing x-8?

Thanks...

Roland hasn't officially released any informatrion regarding their new model. I've heard many whispers/rumors that they will be announcing the new board at Winter NAMM 2008 which is in January 2008.
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should think in this way... the fantom series has the rack with sampling and sequencer integrated and the cost is really low... so if you want to save some money go for a master plus the fantom rack, or if you have money buy an XS, then you can buy both the fantom rack and the m3 module in the future...
If you buy the fantom today then you'll have no chance to buy an xs rack (or who can tell... we will see but till now it doesn't exsist) and a m3 module...
I think that the first choice is the best thinking of expandibility in the future.
Regards, Lorenzo
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:

Not to be too off topic, here. But I'm hearing rumors about a $6,000 flagship workstation to compete with the OASYS! I SERIOUSLY doubt it's true because except for the Sequencer in the Fantom THERE IS NO CONTEST! But we'll find out at the end of January.

Sina

Oh, i'm afraid roland might beat OASYS or at least come close, Roland was almost always leader in rack sound modules, even thou, I Prefer KORG Sound over any other Workstation or Software,
if they waited so long they might surprise evryone,
i used to think they are over with workstations, and went into v-synth..

I'm sure there's gonna be a Flash Player like screen like in Fantom-X...

but anyway, i hate FantomX sounds, i like older Roland sounds better.

But since OASYS is based on HardDisk more than chips, it's possible for them to keep releasing new upgardes, if someone comes close, like MotifXS or this Rumor Roland..

watching Roland demo DVDs and stuf, it seams like roland is progressing really fast and has lots of people working for them...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: