Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

karma AND oasys update?...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz wrote:
StephenKay wrote:
My lips are sealed... Wink

Quit teasing us, and get back into that lab and make our new toys Smile Smile

Daz.

Laughing i'm sure stephen is the more impatient of us!! Laughing
peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devix wrote:
Thanks!!! Peter.

But...... VPM=FM or there is something dissimilar????

Can I load Dx series sound on a VPM synth???

Hi Devix,

to my "knowledge": no

I wanted to remind that Korg had FM in one of their synths already, but probably - speculation! - were not allowed to use the same name.

It seems that we will get something exciting new for OASYS and that this has to do with KARMA. I would be more then happy to get a tool to handle KARMA much better... maybe together with some other things, several other and real KARMA users were asking for.

As usual Wink , I agree with curvebender, that this change makes a new OS necessary. This is maybe a good chance for KORG to add some more goodies. This could be Mono/Poly which is to my knowledge part of LAC already and would fit perfectly to MS-20 and Polysix. But again, this is 100% speculation... not even a rumour! If we get something like FM I would be more then happy.

Anyway... this was a lot of speculation, but one thing is for sure - late September 17th we will know more! Wink

peter

Last edited by peter m. mahr on Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curvebender wrote:
Daz wrote:
Of course it could be a new set of Karmafied combis Wink That's been hinted at too ...

That makes sense: new combis that take advantage of the all new VPM EXi!! Very Happy Very Happy

Laughing Laughing

peter
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter m. mahr wrote:
As usual Wink , I agree with curvebender

Thanks! Very Happy

We should meet sometime, maybe halfway between Austria and Sweden, and dance the FM-dance together. Wink

I could bring a DX7 cartridge, and you could sing "ooh la la, them DX7 basses sure are punchy!".
ski
Independent Sound Designer for Korg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter m. mahr wrote:
I wanted to remind that Korg had FM in one of their synths already, but probably - speculation! - were not allowed to use the same name.

Indeed the DS-8 (and the 707) were FM synths. I did a lot of programming for those, though I don't remember if the oscillators were referred to as "operators" or "VPM Oscillators". Man, that was a long time ago! Shocked

The Prophecy had a VPM algorithm as well.

AL-1 has FM, but it's not strictly the same as DX7-style FM. And manufacturers like SC (Prophet 5) and Oberheim (Matrix 12 and Xpander) also had FM, but like AL-1, these don't strictly involve the modulation of the waveshape of one sine wave with another.
peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ski wrote:
Indeed the DS-8 (and the 707) were FM synths. I did a lot of programming for those, though I don't remember if the oscillators were referred to as "operators" or "VPM Oscillators". Man, that was a long time ago! Shocked

... unfortunately - right!

ski wrote:
The Prophecy had a VPM algorithm as well.

Yes, I remember it had some really nice sounds, did you program some of them as well? I still miss the brass model, together with a breath controller this must be unbeatable expressive. Especially when it comes to complitely unrealistic brass sounds.

ski wrote:
AL-1 has FM, but it's not strictly the same as DX7-style FM. And manufacturers like SC (Prophet 5) and Oberheim (Matrix 12 and Xpander) also had FM.

Right - for example the melody sound in "The Rhythm divine" used by Yello's Boris Blank was a Matrix-12 factory sound using FM.
peter

EDIT
peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curvebender wrote:
We should meet sometime, maybe halfway between Austria and Sweden, and dance the FM-dance together.

... but this means we should meet in the country of the enemy? Laughing Laughing

Seriously, FM is g r e a t, sooo dynamic and expressive. Do you know Ulla Meinecke's "Die Taenzerin"? It is a very old song, but the E-Piano sound is one of the best I have ever heard together with the way it is played, of course.

curvebender wrote:
I could bring a DX7 cartridge, and you could sing "ooh la la, them DX7 basses sure are punchy!".

Laughing Laughing ... but I am quite sure, that you don't want me to sing Wink

peter
ski
Independent Sound Designer for Korg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

Ah, the brass model in the Prophecy... I didn't program any of the brass sounds. For some reason I concentrated on the other models when I was making patches for the factory bank. But there was something very cool about the stock Trumpet patch, in that the modwheel (or was it pitch wheel?) could gliss through the harmonic series like a real brass instrument. You've now inspired me to break out my Prophecy and check it out again. Very Happy
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prophecy is one of the best korg instrument and the sound set was so good!!!
Charlie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Peter: I remember "Die Tänzerin" very well and couldn't agree more: best FM-E-Piano performance I've ever heard! I think it was recorded on a Yamahy CS88 (if this was an FM-Synth at all - I only remember it was NOT the DX7 Embarassed ).
peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie wrote:
@Peter: I remember "Die Tänzerin" very well and couldn't agree more: best FM-E-Piano performance I've ever heard! I think it was recorded on a Yamahy CS88 (if this was an FM-Synth at all - I only remember it was NOT the DX7 Embarassed ).

No, it was a GS-1!

Initially Edo Zanki composed it on a GS-2 but then used Reinhold Heil's GS-1 to record it.

peter

ps: will respond later as I am busy at the moment
peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ski wrote:
Peter,

Ah, the brass model in the Prophecy... I didn't program any of the brass sounds. For some reason I concentrated on the other models when I was making patches for the factory bank. But there was something very cool about the stock Trumpet patch, in that the modwheel (or was it pitch wheel?) could gliss through the harmonic series like a real brass instrument. You've now inspired me to break out my Prophecy and check it out again. Very Happy

Mmm.. I meant the other sounds, but was obviously confusing and confused.

Anyway, you are mentioning a very good example as I will never forget the day when I was standing in Vienna at Korg's distributor showing room. It was the time people were discussing about 64MB... mhmm maybe 128MB of RAM. The guy was playing the trumpet sound, looked at me and moved this huge wheel of the Prophecy, laughed and said "0 RAM!"... exactly at that moment when the trumpet's sound changed dramatically. I guess I looked in that moment like Homer Simpson when he is watching out for a bear....

Another impressive sound was the Slapstick Bass. Until then the DX-7 version was very well "established" and people started using multisamples for Bass sounds... I remember myself programming a very strange brass sound that I miss. But the strongest and best sounds were the synthetic ones. But to be honest there was I time I did not like the Prophecy. But now when I hear some of my old demos I have to admit, that it was a very unique and very good sounding synth.

peter
Charlie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter m. mahr wrote:
Charlie wrote:

No, it was a GS-1!

Initially Edo Zanki composed it on a GS-2 but then used Reinhold Heil's GS-1 to record it.

peter

Yeah - you're right. That was the one I meant. At least 1 "S" was common in the name I remembered ... Embarassed
But the GS1 (GS2) were both "special" FM-Synths, weren't they? Confused

EDIT: yep - they were Wink - see http://www.bernhard-doering.de/Synthi-Museum/Museums-Guide/Yamaha/GS-1_GS-2/gs-1_gs-2.html
peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie wrote:
peter m. mahr wrote:
Charlie wrote:

No, it was a GS-1!

peter

Yeah - you're right. That was the one I meant. At least 1 "S" was common in the name I remembered ... Embarassed
But the GS1 (GS2) were both "special" FM-Synths, weren't they? Confused

EDIT: yep - they were Wink - see http://www.bernhard-doering.de/Synthi-Museum/Museums-Guide/Yamaha/GS-1_GS-2/gs-1_gs-2.html

They had less operators but cross modulation a great keyboard and the very good internal effects (during that time... very good, of course! Wink). Chick Corea played one, Toto's Porcaro played one, Billy Currie from Ultravox etc. etc. To my knowledge it used magnetic cards. Meaning when you lost them or could not read them, then you had a ATS 200.000.- instrument not playing a single tone !

peter

EDIT: nice link, Charlie. If I remember correctly then it was not 100% preset. Billy Currie - to my knowledge - drove to Yamaha Europe, which is located near Hamburg and programmed some sounds for his GS-1. Unfortunately it took me years to realise that those full sounds I loved during that time did not come from his Oberheims or his Jupiter... it was the GS-1 tohether with Yamaha's "Ensemble" effect.

Last edited by peter m. mahr on Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:45 am; edited 1 time in total
XVampireX

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is this VPM thing everyone keeps talking about I don't understand it :O
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: