Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oasys vs. Fantom-X8 + V-Synth GT + Virus + Radias
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LEVEL4

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Oasys vs. Fantom-X8 + V-Synth GT + Virus + Radias Reply with quote

I originally posted this in an M3 thread. Here is it in its proper forum section:

Unfortunately, I never was able to audition either an Oasys or a Korg M3 before making my synth purchases. The question I've been dying to ask you all is this . . . Aside from the Oasys' touchscreen interface, the depth of its software, and its massive 10" screen, which I would assume most would agree, surpasses every other workstation on the market, this is the question:

If you had a choice of either of the following two options, and only these two options, and given that each option would cost you exactly the same amount, $7,500 USD, which would you choose?

OPTION A:

• Korg Oasys

Total: $7,500 USD

(before tax and shipping)

OPTION B:

• Roland Fantom-X8 w/ 1GB sample RAM
• Roland V-Synth GT
• Access VirusTI Polar (or 61-key).
• Korg Radias

Total: $7,500 USD *[I scored some major deals to get at this total, see post below]

(before tax and shipping)

As you can see from my sig, I went with option 'B' and was lucky enough to score some super deals. I deliberately tried to pick synths from different manufacturers to take advantage of differing sound generation technologies and differing sound design philosophies. Each machine sounds very different from the other, so I think I was successful in that. I'm very happy with both the quality and the breadth of sounds I acquired, but a bit disappointed that I never even auditioned either the Oasys or the M3. Just wondered what you guys thought

Sina172 replied in that thread:

Sina172 wrote:
I kept asking myself this question, too AFTER I bought the OASYS and realized one thing:

I bought the OASYS based on sound quality ALONE and as a result, the ONLY keyboards that I'm still in love with are the Kurzweil K2600XS, Motif XS8, and the Fantom X8. The Synths the I'm STILL in love with are the Access Virus TI (although the ONLY advantage with the TI is Subtractive Synthesis because in comparison to AL-1 it's completely worthless to me now), Waldorf Q+, Korg RADIAS, and in many ways, the Triton line, despite how MUFFLED it sounds in comparison. But I only want one because of the plethora of Programs and Combis available for it. God knows how bad I want a Triton Extreme for all those Combis.

The V-Synth is a killer Synth. The Fantom-X8 is a killer workstation. But what are you lacking?

HUGE limitations in the Effects Section of the Fantom X-8 and the Patch editor is SERIOUSLY Lacking. I only want one still for its Sequencer, Pads, Chord Mode, Sampling, and the Roland Soundset. That Graphic Pattern Editor is REALLY Sweet! I Love that!

And limitations in the V-Synth BEYOND belief. I've played the V-Synth Extensively ( I have yet to see a GT) and if there's ONE synth that'll compliment the OASYS its the V-Synth and that's ONLY because of Variphrase that just so happens to be combined with a Synth Engine albeit pretty basic which, as a result, happens to be quite limited in comparison.

AL-1 will surpass the V-Synth with MORE Parameters you'll EVER see.

I've been using the OASYS for 3 months and every time I walk into a local Guitar Center or Sam Ash to play the keyboards, and see whats out there, I am literally turned off by 90% of them and always end up going back to the OASYS. It's like somehow I'm trying to find something BETTER and regardless of how many times I've been doing that, I've gotten no where NEAR the OASYS in comparison. It's played such a HUGE impact on me that for the VERY FIRST time in my life, the OASYS is ALL I need and NOTHING else for my music! It's THAT good! I no longer need a dozen keyboards to make the music I love, and I NEVER in a million YEARS thought I'd EVER say that until I got the OASYS.

The V-Synth, Fantom X-8, Yamaha Motif XS8 and the Triton extreme are ALL luxury add-on items now. I REALLY don't NEED them, I just WANT them for what they offer. That's a HUGE thing I learned when I got the OASYS: The difference between wanting something and then needing it.

The OASYS for me was NOT a luxury. (I don't care what people say, here!). The OASYS was an absolute NECESSITY for me to get back to writing again, and I am THRILLED to finally have it because I've been on it 24/7 for like 6, 7, 8 HOURS non-stop since I got it! I turn it on and EVERYTHING is right there in from of me. No need to go to this keyboard or that keyboard anymore. This is it. This THE ONE keyboard to get. PERIOD! There's a REASON WHY SO many people have sold their ENTIRE rig to get one AND for its price tag.

Here's one instrument that REALLY blew me out of the water: STR-1.

I've a REAL Ibanez PF15ECE Acoustic/Electric Guitar and it is gorgeous in the way it sounds! I can only play one chord as I'm in the process of learning it, but I did a major comparison:

My Favorite Guitar Sound is the STR-1 6 Steel Strings Program (E001, think). I played that one chord on my Guitar, and then played the exact same chord on the OASYS, using this sound as a reference. Here's what I found:

Not ONLY could I NOT tell the difference, BUT! The STR-1 Sounded BETTER and just had a smoother sound to it! And I stood this up to a REAL GUITAR! My jaws just DROPPED! I couldn't BELIEVE the difference! So I took a few other STR-1 Sounds that sounded similar, and some were better than my guitar, others were not as good. But the overall realism and quality in just about EVERY aspect out performed my Ibanez and that to me was priceless!

And in STR-1, there's a page where you can actually change the fret position and assign 6 notes to the fret. And you can adjust EACH assigned string individually.

You can also tweak the Pluck, Damping, Dispersion, Decay, Nonlinearity AND the Harmonics to the last degree! And then you ALSO have Portamento, LFO assignments, and Pitch Modulation! And THEN you've got not one, but TWO Pickups in which you can adjust the Tracking Mode to the Strings OR to the Keyboard which is standardized in AL-1, HD-1, CX-3, MS20EX, and PolySixEX. And then you've also got Feedback Parameters!

Add to that an Excitation Filter, PCM Oscillator, AND a Noise Generator.

On top of ALL that, you also have FOUR LFO's and FOUR Envelope Generators!

And this is ALL for ONE STR-1 Instrument! You can mix and match TWO instrument in a Single Program, giving you TWICE that capability!

add a Common LFO, Envelope Generator, and a Step Sequencer AND automation, be it with KARMA or otherwise! I mean WHOOOOAAAA!!!!

Oh and here's another thing: You know how the Virus TI is Algorithm Based? STR-1 is BOTH Algorithm Based AND Sample Based so is AL-1!

In AL-1 you have a PLETHORA of parameters that exceed almost EVERY Synth I've EVER seen! Here's why:

For ONE AL-1 Instrument, these are the Parameters:

4 LFO's
4 Envelope Generators
A Step Sequencer
The Fact that you can even adjust the CURVE of the Oscillators is mind-blowing!
You've also got Low Pass, High Pass, Band Pass, and Band Reject. PLUS a Multi Filter where you can adjust EACH Mode manually Plus a Filter LFO!
Then you've got a Noise Generator (same one as the STR-1)
A Ring Modulator, AND a Sub Oscillator!
And a few more Parameters you'll have to discover for yourself.

Like the STR-1, add a Common LFO, Envelope Generator, and a Step Sequencer AND automation, be it with KARMA or otherwise!

That's a few MILES ahead of EVERY SINGLE Synth I've EVER encountered.

Out of the box, I will admit some of the sounds aren't as good as they should be. But the people that are actually saying that, don't really understand its capabilities and are knocking it down not only because of the price (GET OVER IT! IT WILL NEVER GO DOWN! I KNOW what cost is, and they aren't making a HUGE profit on it like the M3. I PROMISE you that!) but also because of whats already there as opposed what YOU can do with it. There's a HUGE difference.

Take it from someone who owns one. This is THE BEST keyboard to EVER exist and I am THRILLED to share it with all of you! The nay-sayers need to BACK OFF and one of them, by the way was Ricky and he never even bothered to spend ANY time with it except for playing in the music shop. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by LEVEL4 on Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a short answer:

I've owned, or still own, all of the synths you mention, except the Radias.

Since I bought the Oasys, I haven't missed the Fantom X6 or the Virus TI Keyboard.

Not for a second.

(I kept the V-Synth because it's a very expressive instrument, and compliments the Oasys in a great way.)
silverdragonsound
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will chime in here as well since I sold a bunch of stuff, some of the synths you mentioned, and I am familiar with the rest of the ones you mentioned. The Fantom X is the one synth I have never regretted getting rid of in any way shape of form. The sequencer on it was nice in terms of ease of use but I never think about it at all since I've gotten the Oasys. My only regret was losing the V-synth. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise because I'm currently thinking that down the road I will add the V-synth GT and complete my rig. My short answer to your options presented is this. OPTION C - get the oasys and add the v-synth GT. Best of all words and you will never look back!
silverdragonsound
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curvebender wrote:
Here's a short answer:

I've owned, or still own, all of the synths you mention, except the Radias.

Since I bought the Oasys, I haven't missed the Fantom X6 or the Virus TI Keyboard.

Not for a second.

(I kept the V-Synth because it's a very expressive instrument, and compliments the Oasys in a great way.)

Exactly. I couldn't afford to keep my v-synth so I had to sell it to get the Oasys. At some point I will be adding a v-synth GT and will never look back!
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using MAP prices, your figures are a little off

$3,000 -- Fantom X8 -- http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FantomX8
$2,900 -- Roland V-Synth GT -- http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VSynthGT/
$2,750 -- Access Virus TI -- http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VirusTIKey/
$1,200 -- Korg Radias -- http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Radias/
========
$9,850

$7,500 -- Korg OASYS 76 -- http://www.sweetwater.com/feature/korg/

To answer the basic question "OASYS vs. a number of other products", I obviously chose the OASYS. There is definitely something to be said for variety of different manufacturers' products. However it is also nice to have a very high quality product that does many things.

After I purchased my OASYS, I eventually sold a Triton Extreme 61, Fantom XR rack and Kurzweil PC2R rack, since I wasn't using them much.

I also own a boatload of software that has cost more than my OASYS. I therefore don't really look at these purchases as an "either/or" -- I like them all.

Bottom line, what ever you are happy with is the most important question.
LEVEL4

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172:

Thanks for that detailed and expressive reply. Really appreciated the information in your post, and it was exactly the kind of information is was looking for. Because I also made my decision primarily based on sound quality and character. The problem was, when I started this whole thing, I had no idea I would be buying this many synths. I first saw the Oasys at Guitar Center and thought, "No way am I gonna spend $8,000 on a synth made by one manufacturer." Again, I had no idea, that in a few weeks, I would be spending as much on four other synths. I first bought the Fantom workstation, and was extremely happy with it. This after buying a Yamaha Motif ES8 and returning it. I loved the Motif's sounds, but I had no built-in audio recorder, and I couldn't figure out how to do anything with the Motif's cryptic UI.

Anyway, so I bought the Fantom and a pile of SRX expansion boards instead—Symphonic Strings, Complete Orchestra, and World Sounds—which I think are pretty good. Then I realized I needed some sort of VA synth, so I bought the Radias. I was a little non-plused with the Radias, and then I heard a Virus. So, after hearing a Virus, I just HAD to have it. Then, as you mentioned, I wanted a V-Synth for its VariPhrase capabilities, and so it happens, a brand new V-Synth GT popped up for an amazing price and I couldn't resist.

So after all that, I thought, gee, I guess I should have at least audtioned an Oasys before buying all ths stuff! After reading your detailed description of the STR-1 control parameters, I see what a deep instrument this is. One thing that puzzles me, is that you still seem to want the two other flagship romplers on the market when you already have excellent rompler on the Oasys. I love my Fantom, but may still want to add a Motif Rack ES to my set-up just for the Motif's guitars. But after, reading your glowing comments about the Oasys' STR-1 guitar, I was pretty impressed.

Anyway, thanks again for the detailed commentary!
LEVEL4

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinHines wrote:
Using MAP prices, your figures are a little off

$3,000 -- Fantom X8 -- http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FantomX8
$2,900 -- Roland V-Synth GT -- http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VSynthGT/
$2,750 -- Access Virus TI -- http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VirusTIKey/
$1,200 -- Korg Radias -- http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Radias/

I mentioned that I got some incredible deals. I purchased everything from authorized dealers. The Radias was the only piece I bought used, but it's in mint condition. I got the VirusTI Polar for $2,255, brand new. Not a re-pack. Not a customer return. Not a B-stock. Same thing for the Roland V-Synth GT. Brand new. The price was so low, they made me promise not to say how much they sold it for. The Fantom-X8 was a B-stock, but in PERFECT condition. Result? A whopping $1,100 off retail on the Fantom-X8 alone!

Last edited by LEVEL4 on Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LEVEL4 wrote:
I mentioned that I got some incredible deals. I purchased everything from authorized dealers.

If you got below MAP prices on your products, you might also have been able to get below MAP on the OASYS.

However, even with the MAP prices I listed we would only be talking about removing one keyboard from your list, which doesn't really impact the basic question you raised.
LEVEL4

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting replies! Thanks guys!

So, two of you don't miss the Fantom at all, and one still wants his Fantom. And most of you seem to agree that a V-Synth is a nice addition to the Oasys. One of you doesn't miss the Virus at all, which I found surprising. Oh well, it's all academic for me now since I've already made my purchases. I am pretty happy with the combination of sounds I have, and currently, I'm recording everything into the Fantom's built-in 16-track audio recorder, since I don't yet have a DAW. The Oasys has an internal digital audio recorder as well, yes?
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarkF786

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Level4,

I recognize your face from the VirusTI forum. Welcome Smile

It's hard to compare the Oasys to a collection of other synths because 1) it's all integrated on the Oasys and 2) the Oasys continues to have more updates released, giving it more functionality.

With that said, I've thought about what synths I'd buy if I were to replace my Oasys. This wouldn't cover everything that the Oasys does, but it covers what is essential for me:

Korg M3 - This would cover the Oasys' HD-1 synth engine and the Karma features. I'd buy the Radias expansion too because it's a good value.

Roland VK-8M - This would cover the Oasys' CX-3 organ. Granted, it might not have all the bells and whistles, but it'd still give me decent organ sounds.

Access Virus TI - This would cover the VA for me. The Oasys' AL-1 is technically a more advanced VA engine, and there is the LAC-1 engine, but I like the sound, ease of use, and thousands of presets on the TI.

I'd lose the STR-1 and the future updates of the Oasys, but I'd be happy with these three synths. Actually, I recently bought a Virus TI because I missed the Virus sound (I sold my Indigo 2 to buy the Oasys).

One thing I was wondering is why the heck did you buy so many synths at once?! Smile If my memory serves me, you're kinda new to synths. It surprises me that you'd buy so many rather than just get one at a time, and become familiar with it before buying something else.

Mark
TagPass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
two of you don't miss the Fantom at all, and one still wants his Fantom

Make that 3 that don't miss the Fantom. Of course, mine was the XR, and was my 3rd synth from the Roland JV/XV/Fantom lineage, so I'm speaking only from the sound perspective. Mine was also stocked with Complete Orchestra, World, Symphonique Strings, and Ultimate Keys. I used those SRXes for all of the soundtrack work I'd done, and I can honestly say I don't miss any of them one bit since getting the Oasys!
LEVEL4

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for all your thoughtful replies! Really appreciate the feedback!

MarkF786 wrote:
One thing I was wondering is why the heck did you buy so many synths at once?! If my memory serves me, you're kinda new to synths. It surprises me that you'd buy so many rather than just get one at a time, and become familiar with it before buying something else.

Yeah . . . that's me! Mr. Obsessive-Compulsive! Actually not new to synths—I just haven't bought a new one in like over ten years (more like 15, actually). Bought my first Moog (one of the crummy ones) when I was like 14. Then later bought a Juno-2. Then later a JV80. So I had just a JV80, a TR-505, and a simple hardware sequencer to tinker with. But, I got so bored with my limited ability and uninspired creativity at the time that I barely played my JV80 after awhile. Remember, this was all before fast PCs and modern DAW software was commonly available.

Then one day two months ago, I woke up and said, "I need to buy a synthesizer!" I thought to myself, well, in the last 15 years, they must be way cooler now! I got sorta sick of Roland sounds, so I wanted something different. But the Fantom's built-in recorder and its ease-of-use sold me on another Roland product. Then the V-Synth GT's sampling, VariPhrase, and AP synthesis capability made me buy that. The Radias was just fun, and not too expensive, so I bought that. And the Virus—I just couldn't resist.

Last edited by LEVEL4 on Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:38 am; edited 2 times in total
LEVEL4

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinHines wrote:
Bottom line, what ever you are happy with is the most important question.

Yeah, I've got to say, I'm pretty happy with the sounds and capability I've got. It's just had I known that I was going to get this crazy, I should've at least audtioned the Oasys first!
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: