Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oasys vs. Fantom-X8 + V-Synth GT + Virus + Radias
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Level4,

While your query/concern is understandable and the replies here are all valid, I'd suggest that you not worry that much about it. You have a truly stunning set up, and I'd recommend not putting yourself through any anguish of comparing that set up to an OASYS. And since you've come to a forum of owners who are completely smitten by OASYS, your head could be 'done in' weighing up all the pros and cons.

Far for me to discourage any enquirer from purchasing an OASYS, but I recommend you focus on your truly exquisite and formidable set up for the time being; and as and when opportunity arises, re-evaluate then. What I tend to do is think medium to long term. OASYS will be around for a while yet, and 2nd hand OASYES (plural of OASYS keyboards??) will be around for ages.

You have a set up to die for at the moment - enjoy it. And while OASYS is genuinely spectacular, I would none the less recommend that you audition the it before purchasing, given it would be replacing a set up you've spent a lot of time and money accumulating.

Kevin.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
You have a set up to die for at the moment - enjoy it.

Yep, those are among the latest and greatest pieces of kit. I wouldn't say you are lacking.

Personally, I found that I needed 3 workstations (one from each of the big 3) , a dedicated sampler and a couple of VAs were what I needed to get the variety I was looking for.

Comparatively, my OASYS covers that ground, all by itself. Plus it is much faster to use, because I'm only messing with one unit.

However, I did sell my Virus C to help finance it and I missed the saturation filters and FX. I knew that I could always replace it - 2 years later, I have a TI keyboard. The OASYS and Virus are my one, two punch. Honestly, the OASYS has enough VAs, but I'm a big fan of that Virus sound.

LEVEL4 wrote:
I got the VirusTI Polar for $2,255, brand new. Not a re-pack. Not a customer return. Not a B-stock.

I got my 61 key for two hundred less than that, because of a Musician's Friend internet pricing error. I immediately pressed "Buy it now." They made me wait a while, but it was brand new, in a sealed box.

The only thing I miss from my Fantom are the excellent sequencer (though I'm totally at home on the OASYS, now) and the acoustic guitars.

The V-synth GT has unique abilities, but does not work multitimbrally. I may get one, in the future.
LEVEL4

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
While your query/concern is understandable and the replies here are all valid, I'd suggest that you not worry that much about it. You have a truly stunning set up, and I'd recommend not putting yourself through any anguish of comparing that set up to an OASYS.

Hi Kevin!

Thanks! I needed that! Appreciate the thoughtful words!
Dr.InnoVation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LEVEL4 wrote:
Kevin Nolan wrote:
While your query/concern is understandable and the replies here are all valid, I'd suggest that you not worry that much about it. You have a truly stunning set up, and I'd recommend not putting yourself through any anguish of comparing that set up to an OASYS.

Hi Kevin!

Thanks! I needed that! Appreciate the thoughtful words!

No matter what the consensus is regarding those 2 choices -You've already made the choice. So I think it's best to be content with what you have and don't worry too much about shoulda coulda would'ves you know?

If any retailer like GC for instance doesn't have a board you can always special order it, then change your mind and then they would demo it for you. I'm not sure that is the "correct way" BUT it's what a keyboards manager told me at GC when they said they would NEVER get the Oasys and later said the same about the M3..... You have a nice assortment of gear there....You made a good choice.
SoundClick Page: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=868853
Unknown Sound

Location: On a small island just off the coast of an island not to far from Antarctica

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can read my take on this dilemma here:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26261

Summary, Pros & Cons for each. As much as I would like an OASYS, One instrument wouldn't do it for me.

-US.
LEVEL4

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, thanks, Unknown Sound . . . I remember reading that thread some time ago. Well, I played with both an M3 and an Oasys today at Guitar Center, while picking up some cables and stuff. Only played with it for like five minutes, though . . .

Anyway, I'm happy with what I bought ('cause I kinda have to be), and after re-reading your other thread, I realize that I do have the benefit of "rapid access" to different sounds, just because I'm using four different boxes. Think of it . . . I have four times as many knobs, too! Although the lack of a "snapshot" of "everything I'm doing" could certainly lead to some "forgotten" set-ups that sounded "just right." Anyway, I think the Oasys is a really beautiful product. I mean, cosmetically, I really love the way it looks. Modern and functional. In the final analysis, I think I made the right decision for me, going all "a la carte." Still . . . I'm sure I'll be wandering over to the keyboards section at GC, many, many more times to check out the Oasys a bit more thoroughly . . .
LEVEL4

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr.InnoVation.Bennicelli wrote:
No matter what the consensus is regarding those 2 choices -You've already made the choice. So I think it's best to be content with what you have and don't worry too much about shoulda coulda would'ves you know?

Thanks, Dr. Yeah, I'm just trying to rationalize everything in my head (you know, because I HAVE to). I had no idea I was going to blow almost $8K on a pile of synths when this all started a couple months ago.

I was getting the Fantom-X and the Radias and that was it! I bought a Motif first, then returned it, and decided against the Triton as well, as my primary rompler workstation, so I thought I had everything covered when I settled on the Fantom. But I was basically completely unfamiliar with the Korg product line in general, and wasn't even quite sure where the new M3 fit. And I didn't even really understand what an Oasys really was until only recently. Had I known, I would've certainly given the Oasys extremely thorough consideration.
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LEVEL4 wrote:
[
I was getting the Fantom-X and the Radias and that was it! I bought a Motif first, then returned it, and decided against the Triton as well, as my primary rompler workstation, so I thought I had everything covered when I settled on the Fantom. But I was basically completely unfamiliar with the Korg product line in general, and wasn't even quite sure where the new M3 fit. And I didn't even really understand what an Oasys really was until only recently. Had I known, I would've certainly given the Oasys extremely thorough consideration.

Hey Level4,

What I think you need to do is write down all of the facts you like about all of those other synths - Fantom, V-Synth, Radias, all of them. Then do a side-by-side spec check to see if you think you can pull all of that off on an OASYS.

If you're close to the "yes" answer on that, and even though you'll probably find some basic and/or minor things that don't do it for you (for example, SEQ has been one of the most-mentioned things here), I would still go for it. The basic reasoning behind this is the fact that from the first day I'm using a syntheseizer I absolutely don't like having million keyboards around me. What I always wanted to have is one main axe that can do almost everything for me - and I've found that with the OASYS. There are two basic things that I find missing there - SEQ (but I've gotten used to using Cubase) and sampling. In that respect, I'm more of a user like Sharp - I'd like to have 8-16GB of memory in my keyboard so I can do all of the sampling inside. I've been going around that problem again by using an external computer with a shitload of memory (Dual Opteron, 16GB memory, blah blah).

To summarize, I'm just gonna explain to you what I did with my setup. Previously I had a Trinity V3 ProX, Triton Studio 88, Z1 and OASYS. Last month I sold the TS88 (OASYS beats it in every respect), Trinity (but bought a TR-RACK because Trinity just has THAT sound I like), and kept Z1 as a rarity/supercool/inspiring synth that makes me smile from time to time. So in respect to space usage, I've cut down heavily and now I can actually walk in my room Smile

Now because I need to have something to go and play live without having to carry all of these things around, I'm gonna get the M3-M next week and I already have a Kontrol49 which is (for me) one of the most rewarding things KORG did in the past couple of years (not counting the OASYS). I just don't want to carry OASYS around and destroy it. If that wasn't the case, I would be left with - well, OASYS alone. And I'd feel pretty comfortable with that, as well. Now if only we had a "Korg OLS-1" (Legacy OASYS Synth) on the way - the one with Z1, Prophecy and Trinity inside, I would go absolutely ballistic Smile

My 2c.

Cheers,
vEddY.
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vEddY wrote:
What I always wanted to have is one main axe that can do almost everything for me - and I've found that with the OASYS.

Count me in for that one as well!

p.
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter m. mahr wrote:
vEddY wrote:
What I always wanted to have is one main axe that can do almost everything for me - and I've found that with the OASYS.

Count me in for that one as well!
p.

Only for that? Crying or Very sad not for the fictionary "Korg OLS-1" (Legacy OASYS Synth)? Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes Very Happy Wink
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O n l y thing beside the OASYS I need is a Wavedrum... hm and the Neuron. But that's it.

seriously... anyone selling a Korg Wavedrum or knowing of someone selling his Wavedrum?

peter
LEVEL4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vEddY, et.al.:

Thanks for that detailed post. Yes, I finally auditioned the Oasys and M3 at length this afternoon. To make a long story short, I've done most of what you recommended as a running mental tally all along, and the final tabulation came out (thankfully) that I made the right purchase decisions for my particular requirements, and my personal working style. Thanks to all the dedicated Oasys owners and users for putting up with this thread, and for your collective thoughtful comments contributed here! Now, onto my HUGE V-Drum dilemma!!!

LEVEL4
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LEVEL4 wrote:
vEddY, et.al.:
Thanks for that detailed post. Yes, I finally auditioned the Oasys and M3 at length this afternoon. To make a long story short, I've done most of what you recommended as a running mental tally all along, and the final tabulation came out (thankfully) that I made the right purchase decisions for my particular requirements, and my personal working style. Thanks to all the dedicated Oasys owners and users for putting up with this thread, and for your collective thoughtful comments contributed here! Now, onto my HUGE V-Drum dilemma!!!

I'm sure that we're all glad to be of help. Right guys? Smile

V-Drum dilemma? Hmm... I have an idea there as well. Don't go with V-Drum, try going with this, check it out: http://www.the-freddy.com/. If you're after high-end acoustic drum sounds, BFD is by far the best option, IMHO. Your keyboard(s) can take care about other percussion sounds perfectly. Overall system price for BFD+converter+pads will be close to V-Drum package, but as far as real drum sounds are concerned, BFD blows it away without a serious effort. Or, of course, forget the BFD-loaded Receptor and just make a PC with BFD. Whichever way you go, you can't miss Smile

Just my 2c.

Cheers,
vEddY.
LEVEL4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, vEddY, but I need the V-drums for the triggers. I can't play very well with pads or whatnot—what do you use to trigger that thing with? I'm a much better drummer, on, well, drums! I was going to get a full-blown Roland TD20 V-Drum kit, but the space (and yeah, the money), is limited. I played the new Roland HD-1 "V-Drum Lite" kit today at Guitar Center, and they actually weren't bad at all. It's just that you only can take advantage of dual trigger V-mesh heads when using the top-of-the-line TD20 controller, meaning, no rim-trigger capability, unless you cough up the $4K for the "deluxe" kit. Oh well, can't have everything . . .

Oops, I stand corrected. The $1,000 USD Roland TD3 kit offers dual-trigger capability in both its snare and toms (but you have to buy different toms, I think, but the kit's 10" mesh-head snare is definitely dual-trigger), supported by its $300, dual-trigger capable TD3 module. It's also a nice, compact kit.
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LEVEL4 wrote:
Thanks, vEddY, but I need the V-drums for the triggers. I can't play very well with pads or whatnot—what do you use to trigger that thing with? I'm a much better drummer, on, well, drums! I was going to get a full-blown Roland TD20 V-Drum kit, but the space (and yeah, the money), is limited. I played the new Roland HD-1 "V-Drum Lite" kit today at Guitar Center, and they actually weren't bad at all. It's just that you only can take advantage of dual trigger V-mesh heads when using the top-of-the-line TD20 controller, meaning, no rim-trigger capability, unless you cough up the $4K for the "deluxe" kit. Oh well, can't have everything

Dude, you can connect v-drum pads (or others)/triggers to BFD, as well, that's what I was suggesting, maybe we had a misunderstanding or something Smile pad/trigger -> MIDI device like Roland PM-16, TMC6 or something like that -> computer.

Cheers,
vEddY.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: