Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VPM - What to expect
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
master logic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: VPM - What to expect Reply with quote

I've never used a synth with FM / VPM capabilities, what kind of sounds can it create?
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search for "DX7", as in Yamahas classic synth, I'm sure there are pages with audio examples.

Classic DX sounds (VPM is Korgs take on the whole FM thing, FM being "Frequency Modulation") are the very playable electric pianos, deep evolving metallic sounds, really deep and thumpy basses (the original factory sound on the DX7, "Slap Bass", is an instant recognizable classic!), tubular bells type of sounds that really sound great in the lower frequencies as well!

Besides these sounds, it also can produce nice brass and soaring leads.

But, we'll have to wait a few more hours for the details about the MOD7. The MOD probably stands for "modular", and that can give it all a completely new meaning. Wink
Derm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, its the sounds you will have heard on so many '80's records. The electric pianos, bells etc.
I'm sure there will be plenty more with this version of VPM.
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this mean that the Oasys with the VPM will now be able to replicate more of the internal workings and timbres of the Z1 too...

I'm wondering if this is the beggining of me being able to faze out my Beloved Zoop!! Laughing Sad
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll know in a few hours.

Patience..

It's killing me!
peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interstingly FM is associated mostly to E-Piano sounds, although it could do so much more. E-Piano sounds are not a bad thing at all and this history most likely has to do with .. was it Cartridge 1 Bank a #13? .. mhmm to long ago. The famous "rhodes" sounds... but to be honest a Rhodes - at least to me - sounds a bit different, but anyway. The sounds had character and were so dynamic to play.....

The character of "old" FM as it was used in GS and later DX series gave you sounds that were very dynamic to play and the sound character was somewhere between crystal clear and warm. It was a stupid rumour that Yamaha's DX could not provide warm sounds... it defentily was possible. Ok, the sounds were not as full as Oberheims.... but heij, this was FM not substractive synthesis.

As Derm already posted in the mid 80ies you could hear FM sounds nearly in every song and somehow it influenced the music into a more "jazz/pop" direction. Sade, Matt Bianco, Sting and of course Miles Davis are just some examples, Marcus Miller together with David Sanborn another etc. etc. On the other hand musicians like Brian Eno were using FM for completely different sounds. And it is this whole spectrum of different sounds that make FM still so interesting. If you have a look into the wishlist you will most likely find it to be the most often mentioned wish (beside the sequencer maybe... Laughing).

Not to forget NED's Synclavier which had FM as well but sounded a little bit different - two famous examples you can hear on Michael Jackson's records. If I remember correctly "Dirty Diana" and "Beat it" had some FM Synclavier sounds... but I am not 100% sure as it is already one or two days ago since I heard those songs.

Do you know Starships's song "Sara"? Do you know the intro? This is a factory sound of the TX-816.. unfortunately I do not have the time to record some TX-816 examples in my studio to give you an idea how it sounded in the "good old days"... but on the other hand we do not know what MOD-7 will bring us. In 2oo7 and after we got STR-1 I expect something very, very good for OASYS... going much further then the synthesizers in the mid 80ies.

Hopefully in some hours we will know more about it.

peter
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Matt Bianco

I hesitated to mention these guys in my earlier post about what sounds a DX7 could produce, because I thought nobody would know who they are!!

Their use of the DX for bass sounds inspired me to pick up an electric bass guitar and start playing! (it's still my main instrument)

They've made a number of great great tracks! Very Happy
peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curvebender wrote:
I hesitated to mention these guys in my earlier post about what sounds a DX7 could produce, because I thought nobody would know who they are!!

I have an example of someone who most likely is completely unknown to the members of this forum, but who was sooo damn good playing FM bass (on his KX/DX keyboards) - George Kochbeck.

Funny thing about him is that I contacted him in summer for an interview and he agreed... unfortunately some severe technical problems made it impossible.

Anyway, he was the one who played together with Reinhold Heil (from German band "Spliff" - this reminds me on Reinhold's DX sound on "Rosalie") for Yamaha during their FM introduction tour.. later on he was the founding member of "Georgie Red", playing one of the "fretless" DX sounds in a way that impressed me like I was never again. Additionally he played the famous SynSax of the DX together with a breath controller... and man, I can tell you, it is synthetic, but it was played soooo damn good. Not to forget his work with Herwig Mitteregger and Ulla Meinecke etc. etc. and by the way, he is not only a great musician, but also a very nice person.

I guess we could write books about famous and not so famous musicians using FM sounds succesfully.

peter
devix

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But VPM structure is similar to FM one?? E.g. Operators (6 in the dx7)??!?!!! Question Question
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devix wrote:
But VPM structure is similar to FM one?? E.g. Operators (6 in the dx7)??!?!!! Question Question

We'll know for sure soon enough my friend!!

I'm at work, and I can't concentrate BECAUSE OF THIS UPDATE!!

I'm a bad bad person..
peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devix wrote:

The ones who can give you a real answer to that question are at the moment busy with preparing the latest official statements... I think. Wink

In less then 10 hours we will know more about it. The information you can find at korg.de is.... thanks to my parents and the time they spent in educating me (sometimes it works... and helps Wink ).

peter
ski
Independent Sound Designer for Korg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could give you a real answer...

About the Michael Jackson-related FM sounds! Very Happy

Yes, they were Synclavier. What made Synclav FM unique were:

• 8-bit waveform resolution

• the carrier was an additive synth oscillator, meaning that you could dial in harmonics above the fundamental and modulate that with the modulator (sine wave)

• only one "operator" (carrier/modulator pair)

• the sound of Synclavier detuning between oscillators (so if an FM sound was doubled on two "timbres" (layered) and detuned, the resulting chorusing had a particular sound unique to Synclavier)
master logic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hhhmmm, bells & Electric Piano........not really my cup of tea but someone mention Brian Eno which brings a Very Happy to my face. Is this going to good for wierd soundscapes, techno sounds, experimental type stuff? Not going to moan if not but curious none the less.
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FM style synthesis is great for weird soundscapes!

I own a Yamaha FS1R, which is esentially a DX7 on steroids, and it's magnificent! Very Happy
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curvebender wrote:
We'll know in a few hours.
Patience..
It's killing me!

Yep, check out Korg's website and whichever other website you prefer in a couple of hours Smile Patience is a virtue Smile
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: