Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VPM - What to expect
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz wrote:

On the V-Synth set OSC1 and OSC2 to sine wave analogs oscs, set the Mod block to FM and then OSC1 will be the carrier and OSC2 will be the modulator. Try changing the pitch and level of Osc2 and listen to the results. If you set OSC2 to be an octave higher than OSC1, and use the TVA built into OSC2 so that you have a quick attack, a medium decay, low sustain and a little release you'll get all the harmonics at the beginning of the sound and then they'll die away, emulating how many real instruments behave. Try also making the TVA on OSC2 velocity sensitive so the amount of harmonics is also controlled by velocity. With two tones on the GT you have a simple 4 operator FM synth. Anything you learn with that will translate over into the fullfat Oasys FM implementation.

How off topic was that ? Smile

Not so off topic, that I won't add a little more meat to the bones.

1) On the GT you should ensure that the Impact parameters of both oscillators is set to 0 otherwise you get yucky clicks.
2) You should also set the Original Level in the Mod block to 0.
3) In the OSC2 TVA use the Level Keyfollow parameter with a value like -130 to reduce the number of harmonics when you play higher notes, other wise it's just bright and harsh.
4) Osc2 coarse tunes value like 31 sound nice

I'll post a little MP3 snippet shortly ...
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is like the mother-in-law joke of FM programming ... the cliche bell/marimba like tone using just two sine oscillators with one modulating the other :

http://www.korgforums.com/misc/gt_fm.mp3

Just playing a couple of notes in each octave ... the sample rate is 48kHz so if plays with an odd speed/pitch that's why.

Daz.
ski
Independent Sound Designer for Korg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my previous post I wrote:

Quote:
In MOD-7, there are no dedicated carriers or modulators.

This is true, but I'd like to clarify one thing...

In MOD-7, the VPM's are not dedicated sine wave oscillators as found in traditional FM synthesizers. Each VPM can be set to act as one of the following:

• sine wave oscillator
• sine wave oscillator with built-in waveshaper
• sawtooth oscillator
• square wave oscillator
• stand-alone waveshaper
• ring modulator

So far, the examples that have been offered in this thread describing how FM works assumes that the VPM's are set to be sine wave oscillators. But MOD-7 isn't just about FM. It's also about waveshaping, ring mod, processing PCM through a waveshaper, and much more. It all depends on what mode each VPM is set to, how they're patched, and so on.

So I just didn't want to lose sight of these other exciting aspects of MOD-7 amidst a discussion focusing so much on FM.

Very Happy
domc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you who posted replies while I was away last night.

I think I get it now - I was getting confused thinking that the 2 inputs to each of the VPMs would be assigned to be either carriers or modulators.

Now its clear that each (at its basic level) sine wave generated by an oscillator acts as a carrier (when connected to the mixer) - and is modulated by both the inputs if lets say they come from other VPMs.
And at its more advanced level the sine wave can be changed as ski just mentioned to sine+waveshaper etc.

So.........

Lets say VPM3 is connected to the mixer. And VPM 1 is connected to input 1 of VPM3 thereby acting as a modulator. Does the sound stay the same if I switch the input from input 1 to input 2 of VPM3?
What confuses me now is that on the signal path diagrams shown on each VPM Osc page it looks like there's a different path for input 1 and input 2, implying some kind of different output which is why I was thinking one was a carrier, one a modulator, rather than both acting as modulators.

Kind rgds, Domc
Octopus
ski
Independent Sound Designer for Korg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does the sound stay the same if I switch the input from input 1 to input 2 of VPM3?

Yes. It would stay the same. But check this out...

I took this screenshot from the virtual GUI. It shows the "inner workings" of VPM 1.

In the "Main" section you'll see two parameters: Input 1 and Input 2. These are attenuators and thus govern the "strength" of the modulator's signal coming in to modulate the carrier. They have a range of 0 (full attenuation) to 99 (no attenuation). So if these values were set the same, moving the modulator from one input to the other wouldn't make a difference in the sound. But, as pictured, the values of these inputs are vastly different. So if this is how the Inputs of your carrier were set up, then moving the modulator from Input 1 to Input 2 would result in a change to the sound.

Now, in terms of the path that Input 1 can take... you see that it has the potential to feed the Ring Modulator in that VPM. This is the one major difference between the Inputs. I won't get into the details of that now, but assuming that your Inputs were set to the same value, and you weren't using Ring modulation, per your question the sound would remain the same.
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very close to starting a fight with Kurzweil/Sonikmatter/David Weiser.
This person has a bad habit of making derogitory comments about all other manufacturers. Someone stop me please.

http://community.sonikmatter.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37159

Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billysynth1 wrote:
I'm very close to starting a fight with Kurzweil/Sonikmatter/David Weiser.
This person has a bad habit of making derogitory comments about all other manufacturers. Someone stop me please.

http://community.sonikmatter.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37159

Billy

Such agressive claims are generally an indication of insecurity; don't be too hard on them.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They seem to be stuck on the 4 way sample split, which is in VPM mode.

Billy, you don't have to argue, but you could point out that a single wave sequence can be used as a 64 layer sample split, via velocity. Of course, a single oscillator can have 2 wave sequences...
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
They seem to be stuck on the 4 way sample split, which is in VPM mode.

Billy, you don't have to argue, but you could point out that a single wave sequence can be used as a 64 layer sample split, via velocity. Of course, a single oscillator can have 2 wave sequences...

4 Wave Sequences per OSC, so a double Program can have 8. In a double Program, using layers or crossfades, 4 Wave Sequences can sound simultaneously.

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of Layer mode. Up to 8 in a dual osc program - even better!!
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a good path to take in these instances, it's called "the high road".
Wink

Kurzweil has made and I'm actually hopeful will continue to make some great products. We have great respect for them and wish them success. I know Dave W. and others there and wish them well. Each company in the industry that innovates and develops good ideas only serves to help the category as a whole, and you the users.

We all have innovations and strengths, and I find it a bit foolish to start picking out one element of a spec and battling them. For every one in the win column there might be one in the loss column. And it goes on and on, in circles.

And then there's the age-old forum habits of saying things like:

"I like Motts Apple Sauce. Anyone who disagrees with me is wrong."

And you know what? They are!! Think about it...

Wink

Regards,

Jerry
domc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ski for your helpful explanations. I think I understand enough of the rudiments of FM to be dangerous on Oct 1st.

and so.........

next up for some brave soul is to explain the waveshaping. How exactly does this modify things - and what happens when you process PCM through the waveshaper - won't that mix in the sine wave of the VPM Osc - as the PCM will be acting as a modulator on the that VPM OSC. Or this expected to happen and is what you mean when you talk about processing PCM with a waveshaper.

and then finally ring modulation.

Sorry for all the questions but I thought I might as well pass these days while we're waiting for the new module finding out about it so that I hit October running Smile
Octopus
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dom,

With the waveshaping of PCM don't forget that each of the VPM oscillators can run in a variety of modes, one of which has only the waveshaper active (i.e. the oscillator part is turned off). In that mode the VPM oscillator become just like an effect, you feed audio in and a processed version comes out the other side.

Hows does a waveshaper work ... tricky one to explain. Are you familiar with the Karma note mapping tables ? It kinda works like that. With the note mapping table you can specify how incoming notes should be mapped to outgoing notes. So you might specify that a C4 coming in maps to A6 going out, a C5 is mapped to G5, an A4 to a F#5 etc. etc. A waveshaper works similarly but acts on individual sample points of an input waveform, mapping their amplitude to a new value which is then output. As a waveform, in digital audio terms, is just a stream of numbers representing the amplitude at a given point in time, if you start remapping those numbers to different numbers in realtime the result is that you will change the shape of the waveform.

The effect this has on more complex PCM waveforms varies substantially based on the PCM waveform you choose and the Waveshaper shape (i.e. mapping table) you select. The results can vary from just straight garbage, to rather pleasant timbral transformations. Experimentation is of the essence. I have had the best results so far using quick attack/decay sounds like guitars and basses. I have also found that putting a filter between the PCM oscillator and the input of the waveshaper can help as the simpler the signal going into the waveshaper, the less chaotic the output is Wink

The most immediate use of the waveshaper is to transform the simple sine wave output from a VPM oscillator into other more interesting waveforms. When you do the Drive Parameter varies the overall transformation and the results are more coherent and interesting timbral shifts.

As with most of these kinds of things subtlety is key, getting too enthusiastic with the waveshaper will just generate a lot of rather noisy yuck.

Daz.
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

domc wrote:
and then finally ring modulation.

It's much like the Ring Modulator you'll find in the AL-1 and MS20EX EXi, if you're familiar with those.

A ringmod multiplies the two incoming signals together and then outputs the result. LOL, the classic explanation which is almost completely impossible to get a handle on. The other explanation of ringmod is that the output is the sum and the difference of the frequencies of the two inputs. Again, not that easy to get a handle on, however it does tell you one key thing; the ring mod does interesting stuff when the two inputs are different frequencies to one another. So you should dial up an AL-1 instance and in the mixer turn down the level of the 2 oscillators to 0 and turn up the ring mod level and then start playing with different amounts of detuning between OSC1 and OSC2 to hear the effect the ring modulator has. It's definitely one of those things you need to hear rather than read about. Whatever you learn in AL-1 will carry across to the MS20EX and MOD-7.

Daz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: