Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What’s new in KARMA Version 2.1 (OS 1.3)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: What’s new in KARMA Version 2.1 (OS 1.3) Reply with quote

What’s new in KARMA Version 2.1:

User GEs and GE Creation/Editing:

12 Banks of 128 User GE locations (1536 User GE locations) are now provided, along with the ability to save and load .KGE
files containing KARMA GEs and Template Data. GEs may be created, edited, and uploaded to the keyboard using the
KARMA Oasys Software (PC/Mac), available separately from us here at Karma-Lab.The price will be $169.00, and
delivery date after October 15, 2007.

KARMA Oasys Software (PC/Mac) – Create/Edit/Import GEs - click here for full-sized version

Display of GE's RTC Model in the GE Selection Dialogs

When selecting GEs in the GE Category or Bank Select Dialogs, the GE's RTC Model is now displayed (for reference), giving
you an indication of how that particular GE will be mapped to the Control Surface, and some idea about how it is intended to operate.

Quantized/Delayed Scene Changes:

Scene changes may now be quantized to various metric divisions, including 1 bar, 2 bars, and 4 bars (previously all scene
changes quantized to the next 16th). When set to the larger values, this allows the selection of a scene change well in advance
of the desired time, so that it will then occur later with perfect timing. This provides less chance of a mistimed scene change
during live performance, in addition to allowing scene changes to be selected ahead of time, so that you can be playing with
both hands when it actually occurs.

The new “Scene Change Quantize Window” parameter is available on the Scenes side tab of the GE RTP/Scenes tab (page 7-5d)
along with the Scene Matrix display, in Combi and Seq Modes. In Program Mode, a Scenes side-tab has been added to Page 7-5
where you can find the new parameter. In addition, a new display area named “Scene Status” beneath the Scene Matrix shows any
pending Scene Changes that have been selected, but not yet completed. When using the Scene Matrix in Combi/Seq Modes, all
five layers of the Control Surface can be independently changed while using this new feature, and the Scene Status area shows
which layers have pending scene changes.

Adjustable Quantize Window per Module

Previously, all Modules that had the Quantize Trigger setting turned On would be quantized to the nearest 16th note. While this
allowed intricate DJ-style triggering to be performed, it could also make it difficult to trigger Modules in perfect time during normal
performance, especially at faster tempos. Now, you can select a Quantize Window independently for each Module – for example,
use a Quarter Note or Eighth Note value for less chance of a timing error, or a Sixteenth note when fancier retriggering effects
are desired. Triplet-based values are also provided for retriggering triplet-based grooves “off-beat”. The new parameter is
available on page 7-5 Trigger, and also shows up as a destination in the Perf RTP page, so the parameter can be assigned to
the Control Surface for real-time control. For example, you could change it during live performance to allow quick retriggering
in a breakdown section, then set it back to a quarter note for more relaxed triggering during the rest of the song.

Current Scene/Initial Scene displayed on KARMA GE Page
Change Module Control using labels

On page 0-6 KARMA GE, the Current Scene and Initial (stored) Scene are now displayed in section 0-6c “CCs/Notes Activity”.
In addition, you may now touch the labels in that section [M, A, B, C, D] to change Module Control Layers of the Control Surface,
and the layer that you are viewing and editing on the screen.

Copy Note Maps

It is now possible to copy the Custom Note Map from any Program, Combi or Song into the current Program, Combi or Song.
Furthermore, you may copy any of the Global Note Map Tables into the Custom Table, and use it as a starting point for further
modification. For example, you could copy one of the sidestick/ride note maps for your drum kit, but then edit the kick to be
mapped to a different kick. This new feature is accessed from the Page Menu on the Note Map Page (7-9).

Note Map Display shortcut and enhancements

From the KARMA Control tab (7-3), you may now touch the small Note Map Display to jump to the Note Map viewing and
editing screen on Page 7-9. The Note Map can be changed here using the “Table” parameter (previously, this only selected a
map for viewing but did not assign it to the Module.) Furthermore, on 7-9 a new parameter “Display Module” allows the Note
Map for each Module to be viewed and changed if desired. (See above diagram).

Improved timing when changing scenes

Previously, sometimes a slight hesitation might be felt when changing scenes, especially in Combis, depending on the
Combination and the moment at which the scene was changed. This has been greatly improved in KARMA 2.1.

I hope you enjoy these improvements and enhancements, and thanks for your interest in KARMA!

Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charlie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I really enjoy is that you've improved esp. the things one might have missed using Karma - eg. an adjustable quantize-trigger or being able to switch to different modules on the Karma GE page without having to step through all the others using the modul-switch. Great! Very Happy

Did I get this right: in order to create your own GEs you have to have this additional software? It cannot be done directly in the Oasys?
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie wrote:

Did I get this right: in order to create your own GEs you have to have this additional software? It cannot be done directly in the Oasys?

Yep, you should buy Stephen's software. And, if I may add, worth every penny...
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MarkF786

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit, I probably don't have enough time to take on learning a new application, especially something as deep as the Karma editor. But still, I don't think I'll be able to resist buying it since it's so damn cool!

And the new improvements in Karma on the O are VERY useful, especially the quantized/delay scene change.

Stephen Kay is the man!

Mark
EJ2
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vEddY wrote:
Charlie wrote:

Yep, you should buy Stephen's software. And, if I may add, worth every penny...

Absolutely. MW for Karma has definitely been worth it. And so will KO (Karma OASYS) for OASYS. OASYS without KO would be like apple pie without ice cream. Laughing

CATALYST v 2 Blast of Inspiration for KRONOS & OASYS: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst2.html
CATALYST v 1 Combi Explosion for KRONOS, OASYS, M3, & K-M50: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst1.html
CHEMISTRY 3, a Groove Injection for Your Karma: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/chem3.html
SoundCloud MP3 Demoshttps://soundcloud.com/ej2-sc
Charlie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - I shall have it with ice-cream! Wink
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie wrote:
Ok - I shall have it with ice-cream! Wink

Moi aussi! Very Happy
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my best Mr Burns voice.... Excellent. !!!! Twisted Evil
Talking of names, I'm sure Sayomi would be proud.

Do you think she would be interested in staring in a little screen saver for Karma Fans ?. Might be a cute little give-away item. Idea

Regards.
Sharp.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Do you think she would be interested in staring in a little screen saver for Karma Fans ?. Might be a cute little give-away item. Idea .
Sure, why not? What did you have in mind? Maybe you should drop me an email about it. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: