Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Releases OASYS OS1.3 with MOD-7 VPM Synth and KARMA 2.1
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kontrol49 wrote:

What exactly is the pro side and benefit of user GEs for non software users now????

Custom GEs for new sounds. The MOD-7 comes with new GEs.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kontrol49 wrote:
Not trying to put a dampener of things here....

the new OS is welcome,and I have no issues with Buying the Newer EXi's but just one slight annoyance,I have gone totally hardware with my studio with the Oasys being a central focal point,I no longer utilise a PC within my studio......
Dumping the PC was a good idea. Now, get a Mac laptop, and you'll be all set. Wink

Quote:
so Now in order to make use of the User GE's within my HARDWARE Oasys I have to purchase the Karma software!!!!

Way to Go Korg Evil or Very Mad
Sorry to be a Killjoy Stephen,but why just limit it to the users of your Software??I would have no issues having to pay a fee to upgrade the ability within the Oasys synth,providing I had the full functionality of it within the workstations,why has it been confined to the Karma software???

The entire set of screens and editing provided in the KARMA software could be, someday, implemented inside the OASYS. We've talked about it before, although not recently. However, the simple fact is that it would be a major effort, along the lines of rewriting the entire sequencer, and I don't see how that's going to happen. Not to mention, there is a certain financial incentive to me to have it exist as external software...

Quote:
What exactly is the pro side and benefit of user GEs for non software users now????

Whether you, yourself, use my software and create new GEs is one thing. Even if you don't, that does not stop third party developers from using it, or other owners, and releasing new GEs that you yourself can take advantage of. As Dan points out, the MOD-7 comes with some 90 new GEs.

Arend Groot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an amazing news, I am really excited about the announcement of the new update Very Happy

I am new to the FM synthesis and I am looking forward experimenting and creating new sounds. Thanks a lot Korg and Stephen Kay.

Arend
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, this is a fabulous new package. Simply overwhelming.

For those new to FM, take note - and I mean take note - that there are literally hundreds of thousands of exquisite DX7 FM programs readily available on the Web that the OASYS can now retain on its hard disk as a gargantuan library. I'm an FM synthesis fan and have easily found over 250,000 programs on the Web for both the DX1/7 synthesizer (and a similar number of SY series program though these can't be read by OASYS). Just search the Web and eBay and you'll find gigantic libraries of FM based electric pianos, harps, acoustic basses, expressive semi-acoustic guitars, wood-wind, ethnic plucked instruments - the list is endless.

Not only are many thousands of these already exquisite and very usable today, but now they can be radically enhanced (and unprecedented - in real-time) by the full might of MOD-7; as well as fusing them with samples in a similar manner to Realtime Convolution and Modulation (RCM synthesis) as found on the SY77 and SY99. And believe me - that literally takes FM into the forth dimension. This is a VERY exciting prospect alone.

A huge congratulations to Korg (and Dan and Stephen and their teams) - OASYS is about to become, if it wasn't already, among the most mouth-watering audio and musical creativity experiences ever encountered.

Kevin.
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
Kontrol49 wrote:
Not trying to put a dampener of things here....

the new OS is welcome,and I have no issues with Buying the Newer EXi's but just one slight annoyance,I have gone totally hardware with my studio with the Oasys being a central focal point,I no longer utilise a PC within my studio......
Dumping the PC was a good idea. Now, get a Mac laptop, and you'll be all set. Wink

Quote:
so Now in order to make use of the User GE's within my HARDWARE Oasys I have to purchase the Karma software!!!!

Way to Go Korg Evil or Very Mad
Sorry to be a Killjoy Stephen,but why just limit it to the users of your Software??I would have no issues having to pay a fee to upgrade the ability within the Oasys synth,providing I had the full functionality of it within the workstations,why has it been confined to the Karma software???

The entire set of screens and editing provided in the KARMA software could be, someday, implemented inside the OASYS. We've talked about it before, although not recently. However, the simple fact is that it would be a major effort, along the lines of rewriting the entire sequencer, and I don't see how that's going to happen. Not to mention, there is a certain financial incentive to me to have it exist as external software...

Quote:

Whether you, yourself, use my software and create new GEs is one thing. Even if you don't, that does not stop third party developers from using it, or other owners, and releasing new GEs that you yourself can take advantage of. As Dan points out, the MOD-7 comes with some 90 new GEs.

Stephen
Thanks for the reply,I just don't understand this way of doing things firsthand,surely the Oasys begs for updates and I appreciatte that these things take time,but what is essentially just simply software developments,I feel a little cheated as to being given these updates ,yet I still have to utilise outboard devices in order to take full advantage,surely the more diplomatic way of doing things would have been to catered for all,rather than simply a carrot on a stick,I'm sure that not everyone uses a PC or mac like myself,nor does every Oasys owner possibly own the Karma software

This is a Workstation were talking here,not some form of additional plug in device to boost the computers muscle power,sure the Oasys is simply a pc with all the hardware bolted on,but thats not my issue,again I see this as sort of short term fix,from demand,kind of like saying were gonna add some useful additions to the onboard sequencer,but your still gonna have to use an external software sequencer to take full advantage,your still restricting certain Oasys onwers and thats not really fair,yes possibly in the long term this could be implemented without having to use the Karma software,but why release it now if this was in the pipeline then surely it would have been far more fair and diplomatic for all oasys users to be able to utilise it.

I salute all your efforts both to you and Korg,but with these types of developments and updates surely its more reasoning to allow everyone to be on the same peg as to using these features,whether they have the software or not

well and good reciting that maybe in the future third party developers would be able to come in and create new GE's,but thats sort of irrelavant to the whole development of allowing the creation of user Internal GE's if that was so the case why not just release this development solely for the software only and not the ability to upload them to the Oasys

I'm glad the Karma Module within Oasys has been updated and there is developments that are of a benefit straight away,just with the User GE's update and needing the Software its put me between a Rock and Hardplace,for one the whole method behind me buying the Oasys was all these exciting ideologies that maybe we could have a software system Workstation with the reliability of Hardware whereby all these bolt on of EXis could be built into a sort of modular studio setup,Surely someday the Oasys would the pinnacle of every studio and perhaps make the Computer world sort of redundant in terms of using them for music creation.

Last edited by Kontrol49 on Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
bo.h

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:

Will the data-format of the GE-files be published?
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
A huge congratulations to Korg (and Dan and Stephen and their teams) - OASYS is about to become, if it wasn't already, among the most mouth-watering audio and musical creativity experiences ever encountered.

So true Kevin. It was not until a few years ago that I discovered the deep and fascinating world of FM synthesis, and the MOD-7 is an absolute delight, truly outstanding. I'm saying this without having tried it (obviously), but the specs alone are to die / kill for.

Oh sweet Lord, does anyone happen to have a time machine in their backyard? I need to travel to 1 october!! Maybe Mike? He seems to have a lot of funny stuff in his backyard. Wink
oasys76

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Releases OASYS OS1.3 with MOD-7 VPM Synth and KARMA Reply with quote

EXs expansion sample sets can now be loaded and unloaded immediately, without restarting the OASYS.

Hello,

is it also possible too load the Karo-Strings by the startup????????????

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by oasys76 on Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kontrol49 wrote:

but what is essentially just simply software developments,I feel a little cheated as to being given these updates ,yet I still have to utilise outboard devices in order to take full advantage,surely the more diplomatic way of doing things would have been to catered for all,rather than simply a carrot on a stick,I'm sure that not everyone uses a PC or mac like myself,nor does every Oasys owner possibly own the Karma software

Kontrol49,

I think you are underestimating the time and money impact of porting the entire Karma software over to the OASYS. The Karma software started as a personal computer based set of code (on a Mac) and that continues to be its development platform. That software is then ported and modified to fit within the OASYS software (which includes more than Karma).

Kontrol49 wrote:

kind of like saying were gonna add some useful additions to the onboard sequencer,but your still gonna have to use an external software sequencer to take full advantage

The reality is that there are certain tasks for which a personal computer is better suited. While the OASYS touchscreen is big compared to other keyboards, it is still very small when compared to 19" - 30" personal computer monitors. With the Karma OASYS software, many of these screens really take advantage of the screen real estate.

Kontrol49 wrote:

needing the Software its put me between a Rock and Hardplace,for one the whole method behind me buying the Oasys was all these exciting ideologies that maybe we could have a software system Workstation with the reliability of Hardware

If you never want to use a personal computer for recording, I would suggest buying the least expensive Mac notebook. The Karma OASYS software to OASYS keyboard only uses a midi connection, so the computing resources required aren't too great
http://www.karma-lab.com/karmasoft/ko/ko_main.html

The final point I would mention is you don't "need" the Karma OASYS software. It is required to create your own User GEs and it is helpful for gaining a bettter understanding of how Karma really works, but there is plenty of Karma on the OASYS itself. Perhaps you might be fine without the Karma OASYS software.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kontrol49 wrote:
I just don't understand this way of doing things firsthand,surely the Oasys begs for updates and I appreciatte that these things take time,but what is essentially just simply software developments,I feel a little cheated as to being given these updates ,yet I still have to utilise outboard devices in order to take full advantage,surely the more diplomatic way of doing things would have been to catered for all,rather than simply a carrot on a stick,I'm sure that not everyone uses a PC or mac like myself,nor does every Oasys owner possibly own the Karma software

I don't think it likely that you will understand, but that's how it is. It's not about "diplomacy" - it took nearly a year to bring about these developments (1.3, MOD-7, KARMA 2.1), and that's with a large group of people working on it. I believe implementing all of the editing power and features of the KARMA Software inside the OASYS would likely take a similar amount of time and effort, all by itself. I don't think there's anyway that Korg would do it, given what I know about resource and manpower allocation. Anyway, it's not really up to me.

As Martin points out, the software has been under development by me for 13 years now. The Korg KARMA implementations are based on my software, not the other way around. It's not some add-on editor. It's totally non-trivial to think about putting all of that into the OASYS. If you ever see the software, you'll see what I mean. It would be like adding an entirely new "Mode" to the OASYS, with the complexity of the Sequencer.

You do seem to be missing the point that the User GE area is of benefit to everyone, regardless of whether you use my software or not. The MOD-7 comes with some 90 new GEs, (most of them the additional GEs that were created for the M3), perhaps the EXs3 will come with some more, and future releases from other sound companies may also include new GEs. People who do use the software may freely distribute GEs they have made. You get a benefit from this. So I say "enjoy the release as it is."

Last edited by StephenKay on Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bo.h wrote:
Will the data-format of the GE-files be published?

No, sorry.

StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Releases OASYS OS1.3 with MOD-7 VPM Synth and KARMA Reply with quote

oasys76 wrote:
Rolling Eyes

No, sorry.

RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyway, no company (and so Korg and KarmaLab) can satisfy everyone.
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:

..... and future releases from other sound companies may also include new GEs. People who do use the software may freely distribute GEs they have made. You get a benefit from this. So I say "enjoy the release as it is."

Hmmmmm Smile Smile Smile Smile
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
sebbytriton

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Releases OASYS OS1.3 with MOD-7 VPM Synth and KARMA Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
oasys76 wrote:
Rolling Eyes

No, sorry.

arf !!!!!!
I'm not sure to buy Karo string if complete integration is not done on OASYS.
It is very sad to head the autoload functionnality is not ready for KARO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: