Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Releases OASYS OS1.3 with MOD-7 VPM Synth and KARMA 2.1
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Releases OASYS OS1.3 with MOD-7 VPM Synth and KARMA Reply with quote

sebbytriton wrote:
StephenKay wrote:
oasys76 wrote:
is it also possible too load the Karo-Strings by the startup????????????
Rolling Eyes

No, sorry.

arf !!!!!!
I'm not sure to buy Karo string if complete integration is not done on OASYS.
It is very sad to head the autoload functionnality is not ready for KARO.

The KARO products use RAM samples, and so they are not currently part of the auto-load mechanism. As I've stated before, we are aware that auto-loading of RAM samples is a desireable feature, and it's on my personal wish-list for the future.

Best regards,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 1.3 update, Was anything done to improve the sequencer at all??...or is this a non talked about sorespot?
Sparkie
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a new Play button in the MIDI Event Editor and the quantized scene changing in KARMA 2.1, but nothing of the magnitude that has been discussed. This update is primarily about MOD-7 and KARMA 2.1, plus some other smaller handy bits.

Daz.
MIDIguru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new update looks great!

I didn't see it anywhere, but can you run wavesequences inside of the MOD-7 PCM oscillator?

Also, is there a way to copy the oscillator settings from an HD-1 patch into the MOD-7 PCM oscillator?
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIDIguru wrote:
The new update looks great!

I didn't see it anywhere, but can you run wavesequences inside of the MOD-7 PCM oscillator?

No, you can only use multisamples (ROM or RAM) and they also must be mono. As per STR-1.

Quote:
Also, is there a way to copy the oscillator settings from an HD-1 patch into the MOD-7 PCM oscillator?

No, you can't ... the PCM oscillator is just the actual sample based oscillator as opposed to the whole synthesis block (Osc, Filters, Amp) that is referred to an Oscillator in the HD-1 engine. The PCM oscillator is just like the one in STR-1.

HTH,

Daz.
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="StephenKay"]
Kontrol49 wrote:
I just don't understand this

You do seem to be missing the point that the User GE area is of benefit to everyone, regardless of whether you use my software or not. The MOD-7 comes with some 90 new GEs, (most of them the additional GEs that were created for the M3), perhaps the EXs3 will come with some more, and future releases from other sound companies may also include new GEs. People who do use the software may freely distribute GEs they have made. You get a benefit from this. So I say "enjoy the release as it is."

I think some are talking out of context here and not reading my actual point
I'm not talking about the full Blown editing suite contained within the software be placed within the Oasys,The GUI wouldn't permit that sort of ability anyway,from my understanding on some posts a while ago there was talk of the User GE area being able to import grooves,thus by means of perhaps creating sequence data within the sequencer and being able to chop and cut and paste that sort of data or phrases to the User Ge area,so in essence the user could create there cc or note data/Phrases etc within the sequencer tracks and import sections into the Karma module User GE area somewhow,kind of like the Pattern facility utilising a "Get from Track" approach,but being able to import that data into the Karma User phrase area so that you could take advantage of the Karma Scenes and realtime manipulation.

All this talk of putting the whole Interface of the Software Karma into the Oasys is totally complexing things

my understanding of How this User GE area could be accessed was like my point above,when the speculation first starting flying around a while ago about the updates,there was no issue about having to use Software to do this???nor did the idea ever enter my head,we've already had some kind of specualtion and debate about what the Oasys GUI can detail with regards to the Sequencer package,without some form of external means,so i hardly expect the Karma software to be able to be compressed to fit the Oasys,thats not what I'm tying to stress

Sure there will be others who will create there own GEs who have the software and make them public domain,but to me it sort of makes this not really a "USER" area unless you have the software to do it yourself.thats my gripe,its like having the Blank sequencer and waiting for others to make you song templates.
silverdragonsound
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, great news!!! count me in when I get my Oasys back, still waiting for it......
bo.h

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
Dumping the PC was a good idea. Now, get a Mac laptop, and you'll be all set. Wink

I havent had an apple computer since 95, I think, before they went unix.
Yes, yes, I had the bad taste to change job from an apple-frendly company to a windows-slavery company Razz
Maybe its time to get one of those minis and connect it to my KVM-switch...?

Does anyone have an experience with an APPLE MAC MINI C2D 1.83 1GB/80 COMBO APX BT ?
Will a PINNACLE M-AUDIO UNO USB work OK with it or does apple still require a special midi interface?

All with the new KARMA Oasys in mind of cource Wink
medusaland

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Releases OASYS OS1.3 with MOD-7 VPM Synth and KARMA Reply with quote

sebbytriton wrote:
StephenKay wrote:
oasys76 wrote:
is it also possible too load the Karo-Strings by the startup????????????
Rolling Eyes

No, sorry.

arf !!!!!!
I'm not sure to buy Karo string if complete integration is not done on OASYS.
It is very sad to head the autoload functionnality is not ready for KARO.

Hi Sebbytriton,

we hope that Korg creates in the near future a sample autoload function...
But fact is... You can load our Strings (700 MB) from HD in 1:30 minutes and i mean thats not bad Wink

Reagards,

medusaland
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Releases OASYS OS1.3 with MOD-7 VPM Synth and KARMA Reply with quote

medusaland wrote:
You can load our Strings (700 MB) from HD in 1:30 minutes and i mean thats not bad

Why do you keep saying 1:30 (90 seconds)? Is your OASYS slow?

My string file loads in :30 from the internal HD. In fact, I combined Granular samples and String samples into one sample bank. They load in under a minute.
peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Korg Releases OASYS OS1.3 with MOD-7 VPM Synth and KARMA Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
medusaland wrote:
You can load our Strings (700 MB) from HD in 1:30 minutes and i mean thats not bad

My string file loads in :30 from the internal HD. In fact, I combined Granular samples and String samples into one sample bank. They load in under a minute.

It is definitely much less then 90s.
medusaland

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Korg Releases OASYS OS1.3 with MOD-7 VPM Synth and KARMA Reply with quote

peter m. mahr wrote:
Mike Conway wrote:
medusaland wrote:

It is definitely much less then 90s.

Thanx,

it`s a long time ago when i look at my watch Very Happy Laughing Wink
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Korg Releases OASYS OS1.3 with MOD-7 VPM Synth and KARMA Reply with quote

[quote="Mike Conway"]

My string file loads in :30 from the internal HD. quote]

same here! Wink
rbox

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I dont believe in:

"Improved handling of of EXs sample data

You can now load or unload EXs expansion samples in OASYS memory without restarting, a great time-saver! EXs-1 and 2 are now loaded into RAM using a new, lossless compression technique. This yields a modest reduction in size: EXs-1 now uses 284 MB instead of 313 MB, and EXs-2 uses 464 MB instead of 503 MB. With 2 GB installed and both EXs loaded, this increases the available user sampling RAM by about 68 MB."

Because these samples must be compressed and then de-compressed,you need for that calculation power,is this really good
for the main performance of the System??Where comes from??
From the P4 CPU or a DSP??Bring that us more latency??

It is interesting if you measure the differents before and after the 1.3 Update in point of:

-Audiospectrum of the samples
-Audiospectrum of combi's and all over System
-latency if you switch Programms
-latency if you press the Keys and the samples/programm start to play
the waveform

It is a bad price if we had some of them troubles for savings of only 68 MB ram.I have found a dissent in the original articel Korg wrotes:

http://www.korg.com/gear/prod_info.asp?a_prod_no=OASYS&category_id=1#mainContent

"Fueling this engine is a staggering 628 MB of uncompressed wave ROM (including the preloaded EXs-1 expansion) that goes beyond CD audio quality."

So why now must the Samples compressed and not 2005?Has the aspect of Soundquality to change in a another direction??Is the Bussystem for
uncompressed Samples too slow?
MrT-Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It loss-less compression. So, I don't know about latency, but the audio spectrum should be identical with no loss in sound quality.

Most synths that use compressed ROM samples use lossy compression, not loss-less, so that's why the line you quoted was promoting the fact that the Oasys sounds are uncompressed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: