Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is M3 build quality poor?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bkboy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Is M3 build quality poor? Reply with quote

someone on motifator posted a picture of the screened text wearing off on m3's buttons. did any of you guys have this problem?

the design of the m3 was always a question mark for me, and now i personally think its ridiculous that all the text is printed on the buttons, which would greatly increase the chances of text wear from friction from daily use.

i wonder why korg didn't use the triton style text screening, i.e., all text appears outside of the buttons, not on the buttons.

guys who have owned the m3 for more than 3 months, please reply.

Last edited by bkboy on Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Korg keyboards have a one year warranty. In the U.S., if you register your keyboard with Korg USA the warranty is extended to two years.
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats strange.. I saw that and I believe it is a concern, but does that guy have sandpaper on his fingertips or what? I have had mine 3 months and as of yet ..no problem..but I dont play mine everyday either. Maybe a bottle of clear fingernail polish is in order. Laughing
Sparkie
Trinity2112
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkie wrote:
does that guy have sandpaper on his fingertips or what?

Perhaps he has guitar calluses or acidic sweat or works with acidic materials. Who knows. As I posted in another thread, I've had my M3 for almost two months and play it everyday, yet there's absolutely no signs of wear on any of the buttons.
Current Korg Lineup: Kronos 61, Oasys 76 · M3-61/RADIAS · Trinity Plus/HDR · 01/WFD · 01R/W · X3R · M3R · Wavestation EX · Wavestation SR · Triton Rack/MOSS · Z1EX · TR-Rack · Karma · D3200 · iM1 · iWavestation · iMono/Poly
Other Synths: Berhinger Deepmind 12 · iProphet · Moog Model D
Dearly departed: X3
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my M3-M for 4 months ( since May)

Zero problems no signs of wear

I baby all my equipment, too

I sold my Classic triton 61, after having it 6 years. The dude that bought it was happy how great it looked
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoever wore out those buttons definitely needs to invest in some Hand Cream!! Laughing

Now, I want some new progs ..EXs or MOD 7.. like the Oasys just got!! I wonder if they will make over to the M3? Man I hope so..
Sparkie
bkboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why haven't we heard any response from korg reps (jerry, stephen, etc) regarding this issue? please guys, don't ignore this issue.
Unknown Sound

Location: On a small island just off the coast of an island not to far from Antarctica

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sad thing here is that the print on M3 buttons (at least the ones used most) will wear off. This will happen to everyone...eventually.

Using a 'Print' methods on buttons on a synth is tantamount to incompetence in my book. They should have been etched! and you can't claim economics as a factor, heck, even $10 PC Keyboards from China have etched keycaps!

Grrr.

_US.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unknown Sound wrote:
The sad thing here is that the print on M3 buttons (at least the ones used most) will wear off. This will happen to everyone...eventually.

I am not convinced. Lets check back in 6 months, ok ?
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unknown Sound wrote:

Using a 'Print' methods on buttons on a synth is tantamount to incompetence in my book. They should have been etched! and you can't claim economics as a factor, heck, even $10 PC Keyboards from China have etched keycaps!

Grrr.

_US.

Hi ,,Damn, I agree that would be a real problem! I am sure Korg used a high quality ink or paint when they screen printed them. I also believe new cars have similiar printing. And just one case of this wear is not a cause for concern unless others start noticing wear. Seems weird only 1 person reported this problem.
Sparkie
bkboy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems like spanish people play with their m3s after touching olive oil! Smile
Unknown Sound

Location: On a small island just off the coast of an island not to far from Antarctica

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had your current PC keyboard for a year or more? Look down at the keycaps so the surface reflects the ambient light. Notice the wear (smoothing) on some keys (esp the Spacebar).

Our fingers have ridges (finger prints), our skin sweats (with chemical wastes leaving that way (I.e. after consuming Garlic, Lemon, Onion, Thyme, Carrot seed...)). Every time you press a key on your keyboard, you affect the surface at a microscopic level, this results in wear over time. Friction is a fundamental property of the Universe! Lesson over.

_US.
jazzman1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unknown Sound wrote:
Have you had your current PC keyboard for a year or more? Look down at the keycaps so the surface reflects the ambient light. Notice the wear (smoothing) on some keys (esp the Spacebar).

Our fingers have ridges (finger prints), our skin sweats (with chemical wastes leaving that way (I.e. after consuming Garlic, Lemon, Onion, Thyme, Carrot seed...)). Every time you press a key on your keyboard, you affect the surface at a microscopic level, this results in wear over time. Friction is a fundamental property of the Universe! Lesson over.

_US.

I dont quite get your point. It is not about,if it will wear, but how long and how bad. Thats dealng with quality of the equiptment, be it computer, keyboard,or what ever the case.
rfoshaug

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should mention PC keyboards. My PC keyboard has been used for 4 years now and I have pressed those keys many more times than I'll ever press any M3 key.

Yes there are signs of wear, but even on this cheap PC keyboard, all the letters (which are just stickers on the keys) are still just as readable as the day I bought it, and no letters show any signs of being worn away.

PC keyboards have been made with letters on the keys themselves (so that your finger actually presses on the letter or symbol) for decades without much problem.
jazzman1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rfoshaug wrote:
Funny you should mention PC keyboards. My PC keyboard has been used for 4 years now and I have pressed those keys many more times than I'll ever press any M3 key.

Yes there are signs of wear, but even on this cheap PC keyboard, all the letters (which are just stickers on the keys) are still just as readable as the day I bought it, and no letters show any signs of being worn away.

PC keyboards have been made with letters on the keys themselves (so that your finger actually presses on the letter or symbol) for decades without much problem.

And thats my point. They were designed to handle that. Knowing the amount of use they would have to endure. I have never had a keypad/board, no matter how cheap fade.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: