Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I can not fall in love with the Korg OASYS. :(
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alter_ego

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: I can not fall in love with the Korg OASYS. :( Reply with quote

No one can disagree that the OASYS is one of the Top Workstations worldwide ( well... the Neko of the OpenLabs is still the Leader of the Stand-Alone Workstations )!

But what about its appearence??? I dont want you to misunderstand me but I have to fall in love with my workstation in order to play very good and compose very nice songs. Wink

But the OASYS... hm... It is one of the UGLIEST workstations I ve ever seen and used! I can not say anything bad for its Screen because it is the most beautiful screen I ve ever seen on a workstation. I m talking about all these green lights on the left side of the OASYS. They re really VERY UGLY. And of course the whole design apart from the screen. It reminds me of CHEAP arrangers.

I think that Korg gave its best for the screen and its worst for the whole appearence of the workstation. Even the TRITON STUDIO I own is far more beautiful than the OASYS. Crying or Very sad
devix

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very simple: DON'T BUY IT!!!! Laughing
alter_ego

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devix wrote:

Of course I m not going to buy such an ugly instrument. I posted this message having in mind that some people that work for Korg visit this site. Perhaps Korg would like to improve its appearence in the near future. 3 years have passed since the OASYS first made its appearence to the market. Perhaps its time for a New OASYS. Wink
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think oasys is beautiful! neko is powerfull but really don't like its appearence! every taste is in the nature! by the way, if i have a lot of money i'll buy a neko even if i don't like how it looks like......... Rolling Eyes
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alter_ego wrote:
devix wrote:

Of course I m not going to buy such an ugly instrument. I posted this message having in mind that some people that work for Korg visit this site. Perhaps Korg would like to improve its appearence in the near future. 3 years have passed since the OASYS first made its appearence to the market. Perhaps its time for a New OASYS. Wink

"Perhaps its time for a new Oasys"

Do you understand the acronym????

Do you know how long this machine took to actually release?......like Korg are gonna suddenly replace it with a new Makeover Rolling Eyes the future developments are firmly on the OS software,not the cosmetics,if you want a nicer looking alternative go for the slimmed down M3!! if you think the Oasys is ugly.... Confused

I'd rather have an instrument that SOUNDS nice than it be the best looking workstation in the world,In any case,Why the hell would Korg now spend xxx amount of cash to change it cosmetically???thats just a sheer waste of money,I'd prefer to see that Money spent of further development of the OS.

I've never heard any Oasys owners including myself once complain about the cosmetics???Why???Because there are more resounding issues to wish for in its OS,

Cosmetically the Oasys is a nice looking workstation,what exactly would you like to see it improved on,how many other w/s have a large Colour Touchscreen the size of the O.
Its a well laid out machine with a non cluttered interface,how can you say its Ugly
If you would have based that opinion on not buying on some Omission of the O,Like some people have passed because of the Sequencer not being what they'd like then perhaps that would be a valid point,but looks alone!!! Question C'mon!

As for the Neko labs
To me that Looks awful like that dinosaur of a machine the Emu Emulator Build Quality on the Oasys is far superior,and no tilting screen!!!!!hmm I can see many hours of neckache using that one

my money was firmly on the Oasys rather then Neko labs all the time,I did look at the Neko,but first off the Presence of Korg's name and brand reputation was a large factor,I've been buying Korg gear since the M1 days,as for Open labs, how long would they continue to survive in the Market,where there essentially building a machine thats not gonna be produced in vast Quantities??at least Korg have a long history and aren't about to dissapear overnight.

That would be more of a valid argument to not buy than why doesn't it look nice???

I can think of far worse looking synthesizers than the Oasys,and I'm sure if you looked further into the Oasys and realised its potential you'd forget the issues with it not looking to your taste.

Do you want to make music or just drool over it???

Last edited by Kontrol49 on Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:42 am; edited 4 times in total
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a discussion a while back about how the look of an instrument can or can't affect what we hear when we play it. I personally feel that design does affect our whole perception. And: the Oasys looks great! It looks, well, expensive..

Other than that, this has to be the lamest threadstart ever. (And I know I'm guilty of a few of those.. Embarassed)
Derm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Alter Ego,
Many of us believe that the cosmetics are very important, obviously not nearly as relevant as the functionality, but sit still can affect the decision to buy or not as in your case. FWIW, I think the new Korg keyboard designs are rather poor from a cosmetic point of you. I think the M3 looks like a Fisher-Price design, likewise the Radias keyboard, although the the rack itself looks good. I have got to disagree with you on the Oasys, I dont see how it could come across as an "arranger". To me it looks like the real deal.
However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and one man's meat is another mans poison etc.
Cosmetics do make a difference and do affect the user experience.
The graphic interfaces on the Oasys for the LAC expansion are excellent, and for me at least really enhance the user experience. On the other hand I think the Mod 7 interface is a bit flat and I think customers would find the AL-1 more user friendly if it had an interface like the LAC.
Anyway, once again, sound & functionality come first, but the cosmetics & graphics are very important IMHO.
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On the other hand I think the Mod 7 interface is a bit flat and I think customers would find the AL-1 more user friendly if it had an interface like the LAC

Agree, exactly my thoughts!

I guess it's too time consuming (=expensive) to make. The interface for the LAC was already there,so..
EJ2
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 posts..... I smell a troll. Evil

CATALYST v 2 Blast of Inspiration for KRONOS & OASYS: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst2.html
CATALYST v 1 Combi Explosion for KRONOS, OASYS, M3, & K-M50: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst1.html
CHEMISTRY 3, a Groove Injection for Your Karma: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/chem3.html
SoundCloud MP3 Demoshttps://soundcloud.com/ej2-sc
peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devix wrote:

Wink Exclamation
XVampireX

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I would just say: To each their own, I don't own an Oasys (yet, but very soon will have a 88 version too Razz ) and what I saw so far of the Oasys, it's not even close to being ugly, it's actually the opposite for me. It's really beautiful and designed without so many buttons and knobs and drawbars, etc.. in mind cause they are mostly all on the screen controllable from a pretty modest amount of those things on the oasys itself (From what I've seen Razz ).

If you don't like it looks, that's fine, but I find that other workstations such as Juno-G/V-Synth GT and a lot of others are pretty ugly although I don't doubt those work good.

I also don't agree that you have to love the looks to be able to compose and play on the instrument, you just have to feel comfortable with it, generally, know how it works and how to get the most out of it.

But that's me. You know, I even saw opposing views on the M3 being really ugly, lets just say that these views are highly subjective and doesn't mean that Korg has to design everything so that everyone likes it. Also maybe there is a reason why Korg designed the Oasys that way.

Anyways, cheers
Sergey
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EJ2 wrote:
2 posts..... I smell a troll. Evil

You too? Yeah, I got this overwhelming feeling of it, as well....

Synths aren't guitars so saying that an "ugly" (subjective) synth will make it hard for you to do your music is so... in lack of better word - poserish...

For example, guitars are supposed to feel more comfortable because you're carrying them around and it definitely is better if a guitar looks nice and feels nice. Playing guitar is different to keyboards alltogether so - to each his own perks Smile Keyboard players have more freedom to either sit down or stand up while playing, while guitarists look like woosies if they sit down and play (electric guitar!). Smile

For me, Yamaha makes ugly keyboards. I mean, Motif looks superugly to me. It doesn't mean that I won't play it. iKorg (my pet name for M3) also doesn't look superb to me like Trinity/OASYS. But I'm still getting it next week Smile

Just my 2c.

Cheers,
vEddY.
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derm wrote:
On the other hand I think the Mod 7 interface is a bit flat and I think customers would find the AL-1 more user friendly if it had an interface like the LAC.

The MOD-7, STR-1 and AL-1 are so much deeper than the LAC-1 engines that a more graphical interface really wouldn't work so well in my opinion. I really like the fact that there is a symmetry in the HD-1, STR-1, MOD-7 and AL-1 interfaces; I've learned one and now I get how all the others work.

MOD-7 also has a sprinkling of new conventions in it's UI that really help with programming it. For example any parameter that can have modulation assigned in a Parameter Details box has a small blue D next to the value. That D turns red when a modulation routing has been assigned. That's very useful indeed.

The interface elements I don't personally like as much are some of the effects screens. Many of the effects screen layouts have been updated, and are very graphical and easily understood, however with some of them I find myself getting "parameter blindness" Wink

Overall ... the Oasys UI and the hardware I think looks very cool, classy even, due to it's somewhat understated design cues.

Daz.

Last edited by Daz on Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Many of the effects screen layout have updated and a very graphical and easily understood, but some of them I find myself getting "parameter blindness"

Don't really understand this one..

Are you saying that there are updates for the FX screens in 1.3?..
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I wrote that sentence too quickly, so a few words were missing, making it complete gibberish Wink I've corrected my post above.

None of the effects screens have been updated in 1.3. I was referring to them being updated from the design/style used in the Triton. The effects like the compressors, EQ's, multi-band mod delay etc have very cool displays that I find extremely useful. They are much richer than they were on the Triton. Some of the other effects displays are rather flat and the parameters are layed out oddly. Next time I power up the Oasys I'll post which effects I am talking about.

Daz.

p.s. I am in love with the Oasys Wink
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: