Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sorry
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
universal1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: sorry Reply with quote

korg oasys

Last edited by universal1 on Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: reply to the so called ugly workstation, KO is like Ange Reply with quote

Just leave it to rest, man, it's really not worth the effort. That subject in particular... Smile
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
silverdragonsound
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I missed something here. Shocked
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see an edited post, so I'm guessing. If you are apologizing for your post about selling your unit, because of the sequencer..... don't. While I can get around on it, a lot of people have issues with the workflow.
It's important to put your money where your mouth is. We're used to hearing operational opinions, but don't often hear the impact that it makes on potential sales or owners trading in.

The positvie note is that I find it refreshing that so many people actually care about composing on a workstation. People with strong feelings, like I have, about the hardware process. I LOVE the workstation as a composing tool. What I'm finding out is that I'm not the only one who wants to be computer independent and do it all on one machine. The OASYS is...so close.

For a while, I thought that the hardware sequencer was dead in the water. I'm delighted to learn that so many people still prefer it. If manufacturers know that, then development should continue.

Personally, I don't want to have to make a choice between EXis and Sequencer development. I don't know why it is put that way, since the interaction is crucial. I'll take both! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I know your points were made on that other thread, but I thought they were good ones. Good enough, that we got that excellent response from Jerry.
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
I see an edited post, so I'm guessing. If you are apologizing for your post about selling your unit, because of the sequencer..... don't. While I can get around on it, a lot of people have issues with the workflow.

Nope, he actually went insane again about the fact that that guy pronounced OASYS as the ugliest keyboard around, that's what the initial post was about....
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
universal1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vEddY wrote:
Mike Conway wrote:

Nope, he actually went insane again about the fact that that guy pronounced OASYS as the ugliest keyboard around, that's what the initial post was about....

"Insane" Stop the Drama Mate!! Nah come on now lets not get silly here! , Nah it was just a short reply to a post which was locked. I basically said that the Korg oasys is NOT an ugly synth.

Mike, About Selling the KO, I have 100% no regrets, Yeah the whole point, and i will stress and iterate again is that the reason for buying the Ko and the choice of working in the KO workstation was quite time consuming and terrible choice. someone said in a post " what is stopping you from hooking up to a computer and using cubase, logic etc... Hello??, Common that is the whole point! this is defeating the object. that is the reason u want to get away from a computer for a while and do all your audio midi recording in the oasys! Yes I agree with you Mike, Its great to see many people trying to work in the Workstation alone. However,coz the o still has the dated triton seq in it,it just doesnt let you work smoothly and efficently and the integration with the audio does not really cut it when you have alot of audio and affects going on, one has no choice but to work with a computer and this just spois the workflow considerably.

Her's some first hand market research for you guys at korg. Over the last 6 months i have seen at least 8 Oasys Boards for sale! 9 inc mine. 6 of the Boards have been on ebay alone in the Uk!! i've had the chance to speak with some of the sellers and ask what is the reason behind them selling? Everyone i spoke with says the same ole thing. "KO sounds great but Sequencer lets it down big time" Now most have gone back 2 macs, pc's. personally im not suprised. I think people are fed up with hyper marketing!

Infact guys, if you dont believe me there is one right now on ebay Korg O 88. i just spoke to the guy. The reason for selling is another reason but Yet Again same ole thing " Soungs great but Sequencer very poor" I find this quite sad coz this prob coulve been sorted out along time ago and i think if korg just relies on bringing out more exi's and ignores the most important issue with the Ko im afraid there will be alot more people wanting to get rid.

U1
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if korg just relies on bringing out more exi's and ignores the most important issue with the Ko im afraid there will be alot more people wanting to get rid.

You know, the exact opposite could / should be true: the more EXi:s Korg release, the more people are going to be impressed in amazement over it's potential as an instrument.

Yeah, again, I feel for those who feel fooled by the sequencer, but it can't be possible that someone buys an $8500 instrument WITHOUT trying, checking and testing what it can do, or can it?...

And if there are people who have done just that, namely bought it "like that" and then hoped/prayed for upgrades of the sequencer, well then don't moan about it's "shortcomings". You never buy for what it will be, but for what it is.
peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curvebender wrote:
Yeah, again, I feel for those who feel fooled by the sequencer, but it can't be possible that someone buys an $8500 instrument WITHOUT trying, checking and testing what it can do, or can it?...

Oh yes, there are people who did that.

Not that I did not want to try it before spending € 8.000.- ... But there was no OASYS available for playing when I wanted to buy one. And I am talking about Vienna, a central european city with approx 2. Mio people living there.

But that is something we meanwhile got used to. Same happened when I wanted to try Roland's Fantom X series... not one single keyboard?!! They closed the local offices (Korg and Roland) and now we have the "Anschluss" again. Especially in the case of Roland this is a big, big loss as there worked nice and knowledgeable people.
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But there was no OASYS available for playing when I wanted to buy one.

Yes alright, I didn't think of that scenario. Fair enough. Wink

But you surely downloaded the manual to see what it can or can't do?..
Synergy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm worried. The Oasys doesn't have the options for the MLan like the M3 or the Motif XS do. So we need to rely on good ol' midi connections for the external seq. Korg's been silent about the seq improvement. I'll be pretty mad if Korg decided to introduce the next generation Oasys hardware in few years. Does it mean I need to sell mine to prevent any further depreciation? I probably could afford a M3 for the cost of depreciation on mine alone. It really is best for Korg to keep the same hardware but to update the softwares within so to have the Oasys a worthy of an instrument to keep for many years to come (like how Kurzweil did with the K2600). I do love the heavenly sounds of Korg strings and voice pads. However I don't want to deal with the midi interface, a PC and the OMS ever again. The Oasys is big enough already. I want portability and mobility. Come on Korg, give us the 2.0 already.
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curvebender wrote:
Quote:
if korg just relies on bringing out more exi's and ignores the most important issue with the Ko im afraid there will be alot more people wanting to get rid.

You know, the exact opposite could / should be true: the more EXi:s Korg release, the more people are going to be impressed in amazement over it's potential as an instrument.

And if there are people who have done just that, namely bought it "like that" and then hoped/prayed for upgrades of the sequencer, well then don't moan about it's "shortcomings". You never buy for what it will be, but for what it is.

You can't just borrow the synth from the shop for a few weeks and then say it wasn't the one for me.I wish I could have done,I Knew the shortcomings of the sequencer,way before I bought it,But I come from the Trinity/Triton,so the Sequencer although crap in comparison to others around,was no bother for me to use it,I don't complain on what it hasn't got,What I do detest is that Almost nothing has been discussed by the Development team in the 2 years since its production,so that almost renders the sequencer a dead end street In my eyes,

I'm not about to ditch my O,I know its strengths,but do feel on a daily basis that maybe I could have gone for the M3 instead,that wya I probably wouldn't have felt so deflated about the sequencer,but the Open architecture is what appealed to me,I'm fed up with having to upgrade to the next workstation after it being no longer supported,and I wonder just how many people would have bought the Oasys if it wasn't an upgrade availible machine,Rather a High price tag to pay for an out of date Box.

I knew before I opened my wallet,the Shortcomings but again if the Architecture is advertised as Open,then why shouldn't that include upgrades to the Sequencer in future,Maybe then Korg should advertise it as "Open Architecture,But Not the sequencer"I wonder how much influence that would place on buyers,I would certainly have seconded my purchase before buying,

I'm one of those people that bought it in the hope the sequencer would be overhauled or at least added to,plus the Sound Quality is superior,that its not the only deciding factor for buying the Oasys in the first place,doesn't matter if your gonna be using a PC or standalone if it wasn't for the HDR attributes along with the Sequencer I would have walked on by,but I've made that commitment and whilst everything else suite me the sequencer doesn't and for an Instrument thats pretty much the top of the line it really is lame

I don't like the way people compare in a sense that you should have to rely on a software alternative for sequencing,that for me isn't what the Workstation ethic is about,and whilst the sequencer may be usable in most cases,in mine it doesn't,I'm a demanding musician thats works to deadlines and I need something that can keep my attention,without losing my inspiration.the Oasys answers all my areas of music apart from sequencing.When you've been used to hardware all your life then use software because its more flexible,you become comfortable with a software option,but when you need more hardware stability it would be nice to have to turn to a Workstation of this era that could be as flexible,I've used all the main software platforms,I don't want to sit in front of a computer and create,thats like being a Cripple you have ten fingers but spend most of the time using one for clicking a mouse.

I have every faith that Korg will eventually sit up and take heed and perhaps do something about it,but its pretty arrogant to slate anyone who's supposedly been stupid enough to be duped into buying and then complain about what it lacks,because if thats so the case I'm sure any owner of another manufacturers workstation is probably thinking that any Oasys owner is a mug for what you could get in sequencer terms elsewhere.There is certainly activity about oasys owners being mugs for paying that much for an instrument on various other Musical forums.

The Oasys isn't a "Hide behind a mask" instrument, Korg don't highlight it to be the one and only machine for all,infact hardly any emphasis is placed on the sequencer at all,and if you go and get a demo guy at the shop to show you the Oasys chances are he won't show you the why fors and why nots of the Sequencer anyway,that isn't what sells the instrument,and its not its strengths,so of course its more than obvious a Few Exi's are gonna sell the instrument,if your just simply buying the Oasys based on the Sequencer principle then you probably wouldn't even look at it,to say you shouldn't complain about its shortcomings is a bit picky.

How many of you bought it because the sequencer was what you wanted???I bet most if not all never even gave the Sequencer a Second thought...Because chances are most who bought it came form the Triton line and so knew the limits,but were comfortable with it,those that had no prior experience with it or Korg sequencers are happy to use it as they have no demanding use for it unless they've used other Hardware sequencers.

Its in every owners interest for the seq to be brought up to todays standards or at least improved upon the Triton series,to make it more in the realms of software flexibility it's not like we're asking for more banks of combis and Progs,A meaty Sequencer will make the machine a far more desirable asset in the short and long term,Additional Exis can be added at any time,that will retain the interest over a long time yet.

I turned to external Hardware sequencer means,like any other software user possibly has,but the simple fact is that You shouldn't have to IMO you should have the best instrument on the market with a sequencer that would make most Software apllications cringe,the machine is after all basically a PC..

most of what gets hyped about an Instrument is by current users,it doesn't matter how you gloss it with Mega Exis,these are only gonna appeal to existing owners who've grown tired of the Same sounds,and waiting for upgrades,if anyone who is interested in a synth for sounds alone thats gonna utilise software for sequencing would more than likely look for software thats a fraction of the price,Most of the people who are interested in buying the O would probably be in the middle ground between using software but still curious of using the Hardware sequencer,otherwise what would be the point of the HDR and the Sequencer alternative,you could opt for the M3,if its the similar sounds you want..and pocket a whole load of cash

Last edited by Kontrol49 on Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curvebender wrote:
Quote:
But there was no OASYS available for playing when I wanted to buy one.

Yes alright, I didn't think of that scenario. Fair enough. Wink

But you surely downloaded the manual to see what it can or can't do?..

Yes I read some reviews, but I am interested in the sound of a machine. This you cannot find in the manual nor in a review. That's the problem with reducing costs and reduced customer service. But this is getting off topic.

The way I work I do not need the internal sequencer. Which does not imply that I do not want to see a better internal sequencer. When it comes to timing the internal will most likely win against most external solutions and doing all in one machine would be the perfect solution.. ok, a very heavy solution. Wink
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kontrol 49, you write fast!! Wink

Firstly, I think I confused you with another person on this forum, that's why my tone was a bit edgy. And while I actually agree to most of the arguments in your post, I still feel the need to voice MY take on the whole thing. Which is, to put it very bluntly: give me EXi:s any day of the week, and maybe an improved sequencer on sunday.

I had prepared for a rather lenghty (and possibly boring!) respone, but instead I'm going to play my Oasys. (The Wire is on in an hour, so not much time...)

Looking forward to excited discussions about the MOD-7 next week!! Very Happy

(The wait is killing me...)
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curvebender wrote:
Kontrol 49, you write fast!! Wink

Firstly, I think I confused you with another person on this forum, that's why my tone was a bit edgy. And while I actually agree to most of the arguments in your post, I still feel the need to voice MY take on the whole thing. Which is, to put it very bluntly: give me EXi:s any day of the week, and maybe an improved sequencer on sunday.

I had prepared for a rather lenghty (and possibly boring!) respone, but instead I'm going to play my Oasys. (The Wire is on in an hour, so not much time...)

Looking forward to excited discussions about the MOD-7 next week!! Very Happy

(The wait is killing me...)

I'm not saying I don't want Exis,Of course,thats Like I said the reason its open for expansion and I'd like to see lots more of them in future,I've said elsewhere on this forum,I'd like to see a Large portion of my studio reduced hopefully in that Korg will create some more Exi's of their past synths thus reducing my need for them in a hardware existence,I want to run Hardware,but If the Engines are introduced into the Oasys its giving me more flexible studio,in one box

I don't want to see all the Exis thrown out in a short time just to attain interest,thats counter productive,we've already got the VPM on its way,surely an update needs to be focused for the Sequencer next time,then we can focus more on those Interesting Exis which will keep the Oasys at the Top of its game and keep it as up to date as any other machine of its time.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synergy wrote:
I'm worried. The Oasys doesn't have the options for the MLan like the M3 or the Motif XS do.

The Korg M3 has an optional FireWire interface but it does not use Yamaha's mLAN.

I am actually unimpressed with mLAN. Fantastic idea, but Yamaha has been working on it forever to get it stable, and it appears to be very complex to set up correctly (based on all of the posts at Motifator.com).

The OASYS does have an ADAT out option (EXB-DI) but Korg has stopped manufacturing the EXB-DI.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: