Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sorry
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me: I owned the Motif ES7 and the S90ES, both with mLAN. Unless you have a college degree in computer science, you don't want to mess with it..Crying or Very sad

When I finally did manage to have it work properly, it worked as advertised. It's a good idea, but it needs loads of rework to make it usable for the majority of users.
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Synergy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wondered why an obsolete ADAT out option was in. Any recommendation on the best midi interface out there in the market now? I've been holding on buying a new midi interface and a seq software hoping to invest the money into the sequencer upgrade. I have a ten year old Power Computing Power Tower pro, Opcode rack interface, Roland JV-2080 (M1, DX7, A-90EX, K-2000 all sold), Digidesign Protools 3 888s, and a 20" Sony trinitron and of course the music station desk collecting dust in my warehouse. I was glad that they were out of my sight. These are the main reason why I bought the Oasys. I hate the mechanical noise of the PC, the hassle of hooking up the OMS midi set up, ugly sight of cables and why waste the precious real estate. I don't know how troublesome the Mlan setup is but it should be worth much more than the traditional MIDI / audio setup thanks to a single cable operation.

Unfortunately I might again have to resort to an extension cord, a wall wart for the midi interface, several power cables for a PC, a monitor & the 888, several midi cables for the in/out, few dozen audio cables for the 888. Not to mention the hassle of setting up the OMS and the Protools mayhem.

But my patience is running out. Selling the Oasys is economically not feasible for me right now. But then again I could easily trade it in for a motif xs, a new notebook and a Mlan cable. I've never been to the motifactor forum and hence didn't know about the trouble in regards to the MLan. But could it be as cumbersome as what we have on the Oasys seq? I'd rather go through the mess setting up the Mlan than either resorting to the built-in Oasys seq or going back to my old set up. I don't know if it's a right time to buy a midi interface. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars knowing that the seq upgrade is just around the corner. Then again I don't want to wait indefinately.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synergy wrote:
Any recommendation on the best midi interface out there in the market now? I've been holding on buying a new midi interface and a seq software hoping to invest the money into the sequencer upgrade.

All of the midi interfaces I am aware of use a USB connection to your computer. Also, make sure your computer operating system is supported (I don't know how old your computer is).

The real questions are:
1) how many sets of Midi ports (IN and OUT) do you need?
2) Do you need the midi interface to work without a computer? (i.e. allow multi-port switching while the computer is not connected)

Here are the manufacturers:

M-Audio
http://www.midiman.net/index.php?do=products.list&ID=usbmidiinterfaces

Their "Uno" product is inexpensive (though you might need to also buy a USB "extension cable" if you are trying to span a large distance

MOTU
http://www.motu.com/products/midi/

MOTU midi product comparison
http://www.motu.com/products/midi/compare.html
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gents
The last O upgrade ( 1.3 ) took so long because Korg were also working on the M3 - we might see a new upgrade this time round a bit sooner - Jerry and Dan have come in and given us a bit of hope for the sequencer -I think we should slow down a bit with this topic - people selling the O and buying different gear are going to lose money and perhaps find different probs with the new gear they pick up.

There seem to be 4 or 5 sequencer requirements that O Users seem to be in desperate need of - perhaps this wont take so long for Korg to focus on now and release as an OS update a few months down the road. Not a sequencer overhaul but just those small things mentioned that are annoying for you sequencer lads.

Jerry's post should be enough for you guys to at least wait a bit more - you might be very sorry if you sell. Give it a few more months. I dont think Korg will be releasing anything big this NAMM - so more focus on existing products - keep existing clients happy and hopefully bring in new customers. What do you think?

Just my view
Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
JoshRDA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You people are hilarious.

And by "hilarious", I mean "ridiculous", "inane", and probably "greedy". You sit there with your $8500 workstation that is capable of helping you produce the best music that's ever come out of a single keyboard workstation, and you bitch about the weakest part of it. Yeah, something other than an event list would be nice, and maybe some greater resolution would make your songs sound more human, but for Christ's sake, shut up. Really. Shut up. Write some music. Tweak some sounds. Get further into Karma. There's no end of what you can do with your Oasys, and if you're talented at all, the sequencer won't stop you.

Kronos 61 #1809
Kurzweil PC3x
MPC1000
universal1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoshRDA wrote:

And by "hilarious", I mean "ridiculous", "inane", and probably "greedy". You sit there with your $8500 workstation that is capable of helping you produce the best music that's ever come out of a single keyboard workstation, and you bitch about the weakest part of it. Yeah, something other than an event list would be nice, and maybe some greater resolution would make your songs sound more human, but for Christ's sake, shut up. Really. Shut up. Write some music. Tweak some sounds. Get further into Karma. There's no end of what you can do with your Oasys, and if you're talented at all, the sequencer won't stop you.

"You sit there with your $8500 workstation that is capable of helping you produce the best music that's ever come out of a single keyboard workstation"

Who ever you are you missed the point completely! Pls dont reply with stupid comments, you only make yourself sound real silly!!!

I would beg to differ what you said! you put into any music workstation and u will get the results, put in rubbish and u will get rubbish out. Our argument is that the heart of a workstation is the Sequencer and the KO is not helping in this department, in fact it is very very restricting and abruts the workflow!

whats the point in going further into Karma, What has this got to do what we'er talking about?? you obviously dont know what you're talking about. So if you're gonna make comments at least try and make them constuctive and ones that make sense!

U1
JoshRDA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

universal1 wrote:
Our argument is that the heart of a workstation is the Sequencer and the KO is not helping in this department, in fact it is very very restricting and abruts the workflow!

How does it restrict you? And what does "abruts" mean? Did you mean to spell "obstructs"?

Kronos 61 #1809
Kurzweil PC3x
MPC1000
EJ2
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoshRDA wrote:
.... Write some music. Tweak some sounds. Get further into Karma. There's no end of what you can do with your Oasys, and if you're talented at all, the sequencer won't stop you.

Applause Exactly.

CATALYST v 2 Blast of Inspiration for KRONOS & OASYS: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst2.html
CATALYST v 1 Combi Explosion for KRONOS, OASYS, M3, & K-M50: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst1.html
CHEMISTRY 3, a Groove Injection for Your Karma: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/chem3.html
SoundCloud MP3 Demoshttps://soundcloud.com/ej2-sc
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoshRDA wrote:

Tweak some sounds. Get further into Karma. There's no end of what you can do with your Oasys, and if you're talented at all, the sequencer won't stop you.

Nobody is saying the seqeuncer is stopping us,if you read the thread with any thought about what the debate is centred around its down to workflow,you call someone greedy for owning an $8500 Synth,and that if we we're talented it wouldn't restrict us,are you gonna slag every Oasys owner off that prefers to use external means to sequence,or call them untalented just because they find that a software platform gives them more freedom and they dismiss the internal seq,your missing the point of the sequencer and a workstation.Do you not own an Oasys too.

It's like buying a ferrari racing it around with a Mini cooper gearbox in to drive such a large engine,it doesn't stop you driving it,but it will slow you down if the gearbox thats fitted doesn't match up to the ability of the engine.It doesn't make a blind bit of difference if the driver has a high driving standard ability.the Old " bad Workman blames his tools" philosophy doesn't apply here I'm afraid.its about workflow not lack of talent.
Would a carpenter want to revert back to handtools when he's been used to power tools that allow him a faster work flow.-Software Vs Hardware...

I've used the Sequencers for years I can manipulate them to their maximum and use them for what I want,just because I choose to want more freedom in a Hardware sequencer means I lack talent??FFS get a grip,I would Like to use the Sequencer,but having been used to software standards its like trying to run everywhere to get to your goal Quicker but your legs won't move even though your trying,

I have deadlines to work to,and that means now that My workflow has changed, that I can no longer adopt the the Triton/Trinity/Oasys approach internally,the sequencer's were fine at the time i nthe Mid to late 90s to use for compositional projects,but I had to move to software otherwise I would have lost out on work due to time constraints,I was forced into software as there was no hardware alternative,and plus I was comfortable with the Korgs,that I hadn't got the freetime to spend hours relearning another Hardware device to be only back to the same standpoint

Things have moved on since them and there are Hardware units which matchup to the standards I need,Hardware is what I prefer to use,software has only been a stand in as there was no alternative to match software at the time,and as my studio grew I needed more flexibility,Now there is a hardware alternative,so I know what can be implemented into a Hardware sequencer,it seems that everyone else has evolved except the Korgs so why should the Oasys not be up to scratch also.is it too much to ask for a few Updates,Don't say people are not talented because of not being able to use the Oasys sequencer because thats totally pathetic,I can use the sequencer as many others too,just that working methods change and the things you once considered worthy suddenly become unsatisfactory,

I'm happy to utilise external Sequencing means for the time being,thats not my argument,the issue is surrounding future updates, But I would Like to,after being "Greedy" spending my hard earned money which I work hard and pay my taxes all year long, be able to have a Workstation that sequencing is a main staple of its internal workings be up to the standards of today...The sequencer is still locked in the 90s in terms of Facilities

Wouldn't I rather Have an $8500 Workstation than have to be even more "Greedy" and have to spend some more of my hard earned Cash on alternatives because it doesn't weigh up.But I don't care I have money coming out of my ears so I'll just wallow in my own selfish pity I don't really have that Much time to create music on the Oasys anyway I'm too busy counting my money for lack of Musical Talent Question
jazzman1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am shocked to see so many people offended by a complaint of an 8,000.00+ Workstation. You should be supportive or silent at best. If you dont share the same problem feel blessed and lucky, but dont take the right of another mans/womans desire away because you dont have the same problem or complaint. If you had no complaint todate about a piece of gear, keep buying and dealing with it you will unless you are the type that will settle for anything just to be popular. I am more of the silent type but I welcome and support the brave hearts that help all of us silent types get things done. If you like the gear you have now it is largly do to the fact that few spoke up and in this, changes were made. You say yourself, they are listening, so speak up, with respect of cource. I say if any one should shut-up its the ones that wont speak-up. I dont mean to be rude but some of you guys are playing kissy, kissy to Korg and thats not the way fellow musicians should be to one another. Stick together and get things done. Dont worry about Korg so much, they will get paid in the end and thats thier biggest reward, profit. Your biggest reward should be results. If you like the sequencer fine but if not how else do you think there will be a better one. The main ones that are saying stop complaining will be the first to say thanks to Korg if they change it and make it better and nothng to the guys that fought for it.

Just a note: What has the amount of talent you have got to do with wanting better useabilty. I can make a song on a Casio for that matter, but I can buy one for under $50.00 and wont expect much out of it.

Last edited by jazzman1 on Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly,Its because of User wishlist and desires that we have such instruments as the Oasys,if it wasn't for feedback and criticisms,then most would simply change Brands and look elsewhere,if Korg weren't aware of users wants,they simply couldn't improve in a market where they would be taking a massive gamble making an instrument that people had no knowledge of,you can only build upon something by listening to the User

If the Oasys was in the same price bracket as a standard workstation I doubt many would even be Questioning others hangups or even be offended,the fact is they see it as you have more sense than money if your Buying an $8K synth..Quite the Opposite

Korg has always been the main brand in my studio,since 1988,I want them to retain that title and be the only brand I use,If that means not kissing there arse and helping them to improve,for every users benefit I will for one speak out against it,the biggest compliment anyone can Pay Korg is to buy an Oasys,is that then too much to want them to maybe repay that by Updates,and listening to users Criticisms and become a unique Working solution for the Buyer

It doesn't mean that we have no respect for Korg or lack of talent,I for one think that if your Questioning something your already holding a torch for and high praise for 80% of the product Your desire to take it to the next level only comes through Knowledge of the Products

If the Oasys wasn't open architecture,then in short you could complain about lack of this or that but simple fact is it needs feedback for its development IMO Its not obsolete yet so is open for Improvements and one of the key areas is the sequencer for more than a handful of users who have no other route but software,and I would second guess that many more users would use it if it matched or resembled Software alternatives.
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoshRDA wrote:
for Christ's sake, shut up. Really. Shut up.
. ... if you're talented at all, the sequencer won't stop you.

Have you got the remote idea of what people is talking about here??? Laughing

Now go, read the users post, know what its all about, and then, if you have something worthwile to post about the Sequencer... or about anything else, which I seriusly doubt Rolling Eyes ...do it.

If not, apply your own "shut up" philosophy to yourself, and take your "charming" attitude to some place else; my very polite dude.

Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Synergy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This self flattering class president thinks that he is still running a junior high cafeteria politic here telling everyone to simply shut up. Why not award and price your best music that ever came out of a single keyboard workstation so that people simply stop bitching about you and your music altogether.
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks:

It's your right in a free-flowing forum to fight and argue all you want, but it pains me to see such energy being spent in that fashion. If you put 1/2 that energy into building the positive wish-list thread, or something constructive, think of the better benefits it would bring.

Idea

Some people think that shouting at us brings results, or draws our attention to issues/wants. Have we not proven time and time again that we're already here, and we already listen? Everything we do is a factor of listening to our users combined with our own knowledge and design ideas. And resources/time.

It seems that for every one step we take in a given direction someone, somewhere feels it's a step away from their wants. I can understand that, but it's not realistic, or even fair.

RADIAS users built a wish list and V2 just came out, incorporating a selection of their wants. EVery OASYS release has included wants and needs of OASYS owners. And they'll continue to.

So please, please, think about how you can interact in a positive and respectful fashion and contribute to the community and to the relationship we all have. Keep up the input, thinking hard about what your real needs and priorities are. Everyone can just spin out a laundry-list of ideas, but what helps us the most is well-thought-out, prioritized input about your wants and needs.

And yes, spend some of that energy on making music, and laughing and enjoying life along the way...

Regards,

Jerry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: