Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oasys Sequencer-Wishlist-Improvements/Criticism

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Oasys Sequencer-Wishlist-Improvements/Criticism Reply with quote

Sharp has mentioned a dedicated thread for the Topic,I think given the amount of threads that seem to be drifting off topic and focusing on the sequencer aspect then its a good Idea to keep it centred around a single Topic.

Plus it means that we can hopefully start this discussion where Korg can maybe see the Pros/Cons/requests in one Topic...

So any concerns/Issues/Suggestions you maybe have, Post them here... Wink
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PPQ of 480.
alter_ego

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More MIDI and AUDIO Tracks. And of course more editing.

And dont forget... OASYS is a WORKSTATION, it is NOT a SYNTHESIZER, so the SEQUENCER must be of HIGH PRIORITY. If KORG wants to give the name "WORKSTATION" to the OASYS, then something about the SEQUENCER must be done. The current SEQUENCER of the OASYS has NOT ENOUGH tools for a professional to complete a whole project on it.
Charlie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piano-Roll for Midi-Tracks
silverdragonsound
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My working Oasys back in my hands Evil or Very Mad
MIDIguru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My list of suggested improvement from my 18 months using the Oasys:

I also gave in and bought an MV-8800 a few months ago. It's a nice pair of instruments that complement each other well. With 1.3 we have such a killer bucket of sounds, but are missing the compositional environment to go with them. Count me as one who is very fed up with using PCs and Macs and wasting time configuring and troubleshooting. My most productive time was with my Ensoniq ASR-10 back in the 90's.

Sequencer:
1. MIDI Time Code Sync
2. Position Cursor on Track Edit page is a vertical line (instead of a tiny triangle)
3. Groove Quantize: be able to extract the timing, velocity, and duration attributes from a 1-4 bar section of a MIDI track or pattern and impose those timing, velocity, and duration attributes onto another section of a track.
4. 8 locate points. Hold down locate and hit a drum pad to jump.
5. No limitations on Loop All Tracks (Loop All Tracks even in Multi-Record or during Audio Recording).
6. Nudge MIDI Event. On the event list screen it would be nice if we could select one or more events and use up/down buttons to nudge them in time, rather than entering a new Beat Tick value. Increments of 1 tick up to 1 bar. You could add a shift button to allow multiple event selection.

Hard Disk Recorder:
1. At least 8 Virtual Tracks for all 16 tracks.
2. Loop Record Mode that allows you to record a new take on each of the 8 Virtual Tracks.
3. Virtual Track Sequencing that allows you to snap to Virtual Tracks (for comping). Dynamic switching of Virtual Tracks.
3. Freeze capability that allows you to check off which MIDI / Audio tracks you want to freeze and bounces them through the LR Bus onto a stereo Audio Track pair.
4. Some way to reference bar and beat divisions while editing Audio Events. Currently when you edit Audio Events in the Trim Region window, you can't see the bar lines or really know which bar you are at. I love the Anchor Point concept, but need to see more timing references. Maybe if Allow Tempo is checked off you could display bar lines based on the tempo? Having a bar and beat division display based on the anchor point would let us more easily align the timing of the Audio Event. Have nudge buttons that shift the Anchor Point in time in units of samples and ticks/beats(for example: 1 sample up to 1000 samples or 1 sequencer tick up to 1 bar).
5. Playback song while in the Audio Event and Trim Region screens. Supports above issue.
6. Track Edit Screen:
A: When selecting an Audio Track, the header shows both the track name and the Audio Event name depending on the current song position. For example on Audio Track 1 with a track name of "Track 1": if my "verse 1 piano" audio event starts at bar 1 and ends at bar 9, then when the song position is anywhere in bar 1 through 8, the Header displays AT01: Track 1, verse 1 piano. Next I have my "chorus 1 guitar" audio event that starts at bar 9 and runs to bar 16. The Header displays AT01: Track 1, chorus 1 guitar when the song position is any where within bars 9-16. This gives users the ability to see which audio clips are playing back without resorting to fancy graphic displays.
B: Instead of displaying a redundant track number in the right, shift the whole thing over and show the track names on the left with the extra space. Selecting a track causes the track name font to double or triple in size.

General Workflow Enhancements:

1. Longer names capability in general. Cryptic 6 or 8 character names make working with the file system difficult.
2. Drum Pad Sets: The drum pads are one of the greatest things to work around a lack of sequencer editing. I like to set the same drum sound, hi-hats for example, to all 8 pads and have a range of velocities to program in expressive hi-hats in real time. If I had sets of Drum Pad assignments that are independant from a song, program, or combi, I could quickly switch between different drum sounds for more expressive programming. There are so many uses for the pads and having one setting per program is somewhat limiting.

Note: edited for clarity.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.

Just a quick note to say that I'm going to lock and sink this thread.
Just give me a moment to gather my thoughts and I will start a new one as a Stick Topic that will work better for both KORG and us to follow.

I'm thinking that rather than KORG having to read through so many posts and threads, a single stick topic with the very first post containing a list of everyone wishes would be better.

So.... just give me a while, and I will start this. Need to have a snuggle with the Misses and watch a DVD first Smile

Catch ya all later.
Sharp.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...

Lets take it all over here.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=28194
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: