Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M3 played with XS keyboard... another planet!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
promaster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: M3 played with XS keyboard... another planet! Reply with quote

Im using M3 played, in midi, with the Motif XS keyboard... this is amazing!

M3 keyboard is really poor in dinamic and expressivity compare to the one of the XS. With XS i can obtain all 127 velocity curve value with maximum expression for pianissimo and fortissimo.

I dont understand why Korg have used a poor quality keyboard or bad bad vel.curves settings!
Its time for an update to resolve this issue for 61 & 73 keys version!
dorremifasol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What XS model are you talking about? 61/76 or 88 keys?
promaster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dorremifasol wrote:
What XS model are you talking about? 61/76 or 88 keys?

Motif XS7 (76 keys)
muziksculp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, have you tried changing the velocity and aftertouch settings in global mode on your M3 ?

Another factor might be the way you have your M3 set-up, (i.e. having the M3 on a solid surface like a table, seems to produce better keyboard action, than if you have it supported on keyboard rack, where only two arms on the keyboard rack provide the support from underneath the M3).

I have a Motif XS7, and an M3-61. but have not tried triggering the M3 from the XS7 yet, so I will try it soon, and possibly comment a bit further on this detail.

Thanks.
promaster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

muziksculp wrote:
Interesting, have you tried changing the velocity and aftertouch settings in global mode on your M3 ?

Another factor might be the way you have your M3 set-up, (i.e. having the M3 on a solid surface like a table, seems to produce better keyboard action, than if you have it supported on keyboard rack, where only two arms on the keyboard rack provide the support from underneath the M3).

I have a Motif XS7, and an M3-61. but have not tried triggering the M3 from the XS7 yet, so I will try it soon, and possibly comment a bit further on this detail.

Thanks.

Ive already changing the velocity setting in global mode and with curve = 5 is better to play this unit...but loosing pianissimo dinamic.
Try to play an el.piano with curve setting to 4 and then try again with curve on 6... the high-dinamic and snap that you listen in this case (vel.curve= 6) is not possible with curve =4.

Im using M3 on tablelike (not rack) but is the same that playing on a stand for keyabord. This problem is only software bad programming (vel.curves).
For esxample, why on motif XS theres a normal curve X=Y and on M3 not?
bkboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with your assessment. i have tried the motif xs vs the m3. yamaha keybed is definitely way better. korg definitely did boo boo regarding the build quality for the m3, everybody knows that by now. a nice quality looking workstation (triton) has been replaced with a kiddie looking ipod-toy with cheap materials.

but the reason why people keep going for it is the korg strength in sounds (pads, strings, electronic, organs, etc). ofcourse not to mention the effects and karma.
synthdogg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkboy wrote:
yamaha keybed is definitely way better. korg definitely did boo boo regarding the build quality for the m3, everybody knows that by now.

By everybody....do you mean "everybody, except for the multitudes of users and magazine reviewers that have been raving about the M3 action, some calling it the best synth action they have ever played?"

Maybe I don't fit into the "everybody" category...I never felt much like an "everybody", but I've been traveling and gigging with my M3 73 for months, and the things been a rock. No problems whatsoever. I don't really understand this idea that the build quality is poor....maybe if I was one of "everybody" it would be apparent to me...
dorremifasol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally I had the chance to play the XS today. While I really like how it sounds, I prefer the key action of the M3, by a large margin. Probably the keyboard is what I most like from of my M3, it's a joy to play anything with it.

Once the velocity curves are fixed, it will be even better.
promaster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the action of M3 keybed... but no one can tell me that with all vel.curves is possible to play with all dinamic range 0-127... is not true! Its a bug.
Try to play a sound with curve=4 (max force) and then with curve=6 (max force)... now try again to obtain the same max volume and dinamic with curve=4... is impossible.
Korg has keep the vel.curves of triton...but M3 has a different and better keybed...this issue will be optimized for the new unit!
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

promaster wrote:
I like the action of M3 keybed... but no one can tell me that with all vel.curves is possible to play with all dinamic range 0-127... is not true! Its a bug.

Promaster,

I would suggest you contact your Korg Country Distributor's Tech Support to report this problem. It would be interesting to see if they agree with you.

While some Korg people do visit this forum, the best way to report a software bug (or problem) is through official channels.
wan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkboy wrote:
yamaha keybed is definitely way better.

No, the M3 keyboard is way better than the yamaha. Only the Access Virus TI keyboard is comparable to the M3.

Very Happy
promaster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinHines wrote:
promaster wrote:

Promaster,

I would suggest you contact your Korg Country Distributor's Tech Support to report this problem. It would be interesting to see if they agree with you.

While some Korg people do visit this forum, the best way to report a software bug (or problem) is through official channels.

Ive already send the problem to support@korg.com
promaster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wan wrote:

No, the M3 keyboard is way better than the yamaha. Only the Access Virus TI keyboard is comparable to the M3.

Very Happy

The keyboard is good... the problem is only the bad velocity curves implemented in the M3 O.S.... these curves are the same of triton series but M3 mount a new keybed and then korg will be optimize these curves for the new one!
Hugo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the XS keyboard is anything like the ES, it sucks. My V-Synth on the other hand, is awesome, best I've ever played.
promaster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugo wrote:
If the XS keyboard is anything like the ES, it sucks. My V-Synth on the other hand, is awesome, best I've ever played.

XS keyboard is new really better then the ES series.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: